Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Texas prison & criminal justice system.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 AM
One day at a time...
Donation Award 

Default Gritsforbreakfast:Some states actually shutting down prison units

I know this doesn't apply to us...YET....but I like to see the trends, because as soon as Texas runs out of money(our little "nest egg") this will be us.

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...ting-down.html

Saturday, September 05, 2009

Some states actually shutting down prison units

According to this Wall Street Journal story ("Lights Out at the Penitentiary," Sept. 5) and accompanying graphics, Michigan will close eight prison units because of budget cuts, paroling some prisoners early and moving the rest to other units. The Journal views this as part of a larger trend:
For three decades, state and local governments built and filled jails to make good on promises to get tough on crime. Now, the recession and collapsing budgets are forcing an about face.

Prisons are one of the biggest single line items in many state budgets, in part because nearly five times as many people are now behind bars as in the 1970s. From California to New York, officials are now closing penitentiaries and releasing inmates early. At least 26 states have cut corrections spending in fiscal year 2010, and at least 17 are closing prisons or reducing their inmate populations, according to the Vera Institute on Justice, a criminal-justice reform organization in New York.
IMO prison and jail capacity fundamentally determines incarceration rates. Whenever Legislatures construct more prisons, the justice system fills up however many beds they create. If you build it, they will come. So states actually reducing capacity seems like an extraordinary development, definitely a moment of departure from the last 30 years' carceral trends.

RELATED: From the LA Times, "Cash-strapped states revise laws to get inmates out." MORE: For blog coverage from two states currently cutting prison budgets, see California Corrections Crisis and Think Outside the Cage out of Colorado.

Posted by Gritsforbreakfast at 8:59 AM
hitulily (09-13-2009), retired-37 (09-08-2009), strawberry6977 (09-08-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Irrelevant, ignorant & ill-informed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,114 Times in 521 Posts

Let's hope this trend continues!! I know that the City of Lubbock built a for profit jail that is now a money- sucking blackhole because TDCJ stopped leasing beds because of it's population reduction.....I read this on Grits too. I don't feel one bit sorry for Lubbock........they got what they deserved through their own greed and arrogance!! I just hope they've learned their lesson! Who'll be next to get their heads 'chopped off'??......hopefully CCA and Geo Group!!.....andy

Last edited by retired-37; 09-08-2009 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 09-09-2009, 05:20 AM
One day at a time...
Donation Award 

You know, I think the private prisons should go, even if it means selling out to TDCJ.
Lil.instig8tor (09-17-2009), retired-37 (09-09-2009)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM
Donation Award 

You are soooooooooooooooooooo right!!......andy
Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,277 Times in 645 Posts

Do not know for a fact, just "gossip" but heard that our lovely governor has some ties to private prisons, IF this is true, really don't think they would be on any list to close- -or even cut back- -again, no clue if it is true.
Not sure, but maybe Dru would know.
Be safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallngood For This Useful Post:
Lil.instig8tor (09-17-2009), retired-37 (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 PM
One day at a time...
Donation Award 

Well, after Bush and Cheney were out of office, or just before, we heard that CHeney had indictments handed down because of criminal ties to the Texas prison system...what ever happened to that??? I don't doubt that alot of higher up people have ties to the illegal things done in institutions in this state....how does anyone...tdc or not...ever get away with being exempt from osha standards...that just blows my mind.
Lil.instig8tor (09-17-2009), retired-37 (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Donation Award 

Exclamation Hookin' & Crookin'

Cheney has/ had ties to the Willacy County Detention Center. This is a federal immigration detention center in a corrupt South Texas county. How do I know this? I live in Hidalgo County......the county right next door....in the geographical region known as the Texas Rio Grande Valley. The 'wheels' were 'greased' for Cheney by Eddie Lucio a House Representative for this district....and sadly....a Democrat!! As you can see, corruption 'knows NO boundries', or party lines!! When you're hookin' & crookin' you don't shake hands with the palm to your left.........you shake with your palm facing up towards the sky!!......andy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retired-37 For This Useful Post:
Lil.instig8tor (09-17-2009), smallngood (09-13-2009), x4livin (09-14-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Mini Sunshine

Default Follow the money

Cheney is a major investor in the Vanguard group- prison companies / that has major investments in Prison companies : GEO GROUP(CCA)/ His (then) public office position regulates how much the federal government will pay the prison companies to house inmates (conflict of interest)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lil.instig8tor For This Useful Post:
retired-37 (09-17-2009), WilcoMom (09-17-2009), x4livin (09-17-2009)