Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 02-19-2002, 02:27 AM
Old Timer

Thanked 1,174 Times in 529 Posts
Default Intro--Joy from Kansas

Hi, my name is Joy and I have a husband that has been invited to be a quest of INS. My husband is from Cuba, he initially came over in 1980 with the influx of Cubans, got into some trouble, was deported in 1994 and was told he could not come back to the US for one year. Well, the economy in Cuba is poor and he decided to come back before his year was up. He took another boat, entered the US legally through US ports, but under a different name. Through circumstances that I am not going into, he was arrested last July, INS put him on hold within 24 hours and figured out who he was. He has been in INS custody since then. He had his deportation hearin in August and was ordered removed. However, US does not have any relations with Cuba so he cannot be deported. The government just passed a law that anyone whose host country will not accept the individual back has to be deciced within 90 days to be released. He is now having his review hearing to see if he can be released back to me or not. This review take 2 to 3 months. If denied, he can have another review in 6 months, if still denied then he will have a review once a year. There have been many INS detainees being held for years and years with no relief in site. My husband is in Oakdale, LA. I am in Kansas so I cannot go see him now. I have no idea when, or even if I will ever see him again. INS has their own laws and pretty well do what they want with whom they want. Even though I am an american citizen, my right as his wife is almost non-existent. Infact, every time he is moved, I have to call and give them my name and address to contact me incase of an emergency. When I do call, no one ever has a record that he is married or has a wife. I have to do a lot of fighting for him.

Well, I guess this is enough for now. I know that my situation is a little different than everyone else's, but the loneliness is still there, I am looked at as if I have a disease, and since 9/11, people wonder why I even want to deal with anyone that is not a US citizen. I have many stories of some injustices of our prison system, even though INS have these guys in custody, they are held with everyone else in Federal or State prisons.

Thanks for listening.
Joy
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2002, 03:23 PM
R.I.P.

Default My Hat is off to you Joy

Joy:

I can only imagine the loneliness you feel. I have a son in prison but not under the same circumstances. Have you ever contacted Amnesty International? Go to their Website - Amnestyinternational.com and read about them and what they do.
You will get a lot of support from them and they may even be able to help you out some.

My prayers are with you and your husband. God Bless you both. Only your faith will get you through this.

Sincerely

Donna
Old 02-19-2002, 03:29 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default Cubans held w/o charge

Joy,

I recently was in a federal 1/2 way house with a guy that has been locked up for 17 years! He was one of the cubans that came over on the (spelling?) Mariana Boat Launch/lift?
They were held infefinitely until the Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional..

In regards to your husband, does he have a felony criminal record in the United States? Did they charge him with a "aggrevated re-entry" charge for coming back or are they just holding him?

David
Old 02-19-2002, 03:30 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 1,601 Posts
Exclamation I'm RUDE!

Woops! I almost forgot! Welcome aboard!
Old 02-19-2002, 03:43 PM
Always Special to PTO!

Default INS

My fiance is also here illegally. (See my intro) he has not been formally charged, but will be with illegal re-entry. Imagine he lived here for 27years! He came here when he was nine months old. Never became a citizen and with the ridiculous 1996 changes to the immigration laws he was deported in 1997. The don't even care that his father became a citizen when he was a kid. INS- what a mess!
michelle
Old 02-19-2002, 10:48 PM
Old Timer

Thanked 1,174 Times in 529 Posts

I was so glad to read everyone's post. To add a little more information. When Juan, my husband, came back in 1995, he was picked up from the ocean out of a raft with 3 other guys. They were taken to Quatanamo Bay, processed "legally" though there and brought into the country. When Juan was arrested last July and INS made the connection, they did try to file federal charges against him, but the Federal Judge said they couldn't because he came in legally and the US didn't catch it. It was their mistake. So, they had a deportation hearing and ordered him removed from a drug charge back in 1984. I think they are going to deny him release from this review because they couldn't get him the other way. The thing is, they are messing with him and it scares me sometimes because Juan knows that if he is sent back, Castro will put him in prison and kill him. The jail where he is at keeps telling him that he will be sent back by the end of February, but the INS agent that I have been dealing with says that there is no way and his review has already been started. He said that sometimes the guards try to mess with the guys like that and they try to find out who is doing it and get rid of them. I don't believe them one bit though. He was arrested in Kansas and was dealing with this part of INS, had is hearing in Kansas City. He was given the name of a Pro Bono Lawyer, but when I called her, she said she doesn't represent Cubans because they are a lost cause. The system with order removal, but they can't be removed and will eventually be released so, she wouldn't help him at all. Other lawyers want $5,000. to present him. Oh, he does have a $5,000. Bond. However, INS Bonds have to be paid in full. You can't pay a percentage like other bonds. Who has $5,000 sitting around the house?

Anyway, I guess I have done enough talking. I havn't had a chance to tell anyone and I guess I have a lot build up inside. I have no support here.

Thanks for listening
Joy
Old 09-20-2006, 12:33 PM

Default hang on

Hang in there and be strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Account Closed

Welcome to PTO

KarrieMI
Old 09-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Former Moderator
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO.
Live as if you'll die today
~James Dean~
Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Miss'n my brother!

Welcome to the PTO family!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM

Welcome
Old 09-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Blessed
Donation Award 

Hello and Welcome to PTO.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 PM

JOy
Welcome to PTO, I pray for justice for your husband.
Chary
Old 09-21-2006, 12:03 AM

Hi and welcome to PTO, know that here you are NEVER alone as we are here for you 24/7 - 365 ...

Granted we aren't close enough to hold you when the tears come falling down but we are here to support you, listen to your fears, cheers, stories and anything else you want to give us.

WE ARE FAMILY, FRIENDS here at PTO and you just joined the biggest family on the net!! Welcome

The way OUT!