Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 AM

I agree, it doesn't make much sense. Everytime he goes in the SHU his time is pushed out. I dont understand how all this works. We only have what he tells us, so there's that. Not being able to talk to his case worker or anyone other than him, does leave us with lots of questions.
The o ly thing we know for a fact is his multiple requests for money.

So confused on what really goes on inside.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,925 Posts

“doesn't make sense since it would take away 3+ years worth of earned good time“

I’m guessing that included expected half way house time too, not just good time.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:38 AM

I am in this same situation with my son. He has been in federal prison for 5 yrs and has 3 more to go. I have sent money because of fearing for him, has cost me dearly financial and health. This time if he goes to the Shu it will be for a year. He tells me he'll go crazy in there. I am so over all this and I just go numb even talking to him. Thank you all for replies to this person. Not sure still how to do my own posting here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taylor459 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-26-2019), lizlizzie2 (07-06-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,038 Times in 12,729 Posts

Take care of yourself. If your son is in the SHU for a year, he will not have any way to spend more than about $25,00 a month. You can't fix what he gets himself into anyway, so let him deal with it.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,624 Times in 622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor459 View Post
I am in this same situation with my son. He has been in federal prison for 5 yrs and has 3 more to go. I have sent money because of fearing for him, has cost me dearly financial and health. This time if he goes to the Shu it will be for a year. He tells me he'll go crazy in there. I am so over all this and I just go numb even talking to him. Thank you all for replies to this person. Not sure still how to do my own posting here.
I don't know about federal prisons, only the State of Arizona. From experience, my son acquired debt (drugs), I paid until I realized his excuses as to why he needed money didn't make sense, and then I refused to send any more. He did end up having a "fight" with another inmate. In the end, (over a year after being in the state prison) he found a way to straighten himself out and that was the point where he finally decided to get clean. I know that is more the exception than the rule, but the reality is as long as I kept sending the money, he kept getting further into debt and kept using.

It's hard; it hurts us to know our children are suffering, but until they face the consequences, nothing changes. It's risky to let it happen, but we have so many overdoses and deaths from drugs in our state prisons, that continuing to pay out the money he asked for was also risky.

As others have said, there is very little they an spend money on in SHU (hole). They don't tell us the complete truth; sometimes it is outright lies. The only thing we can control is the choice not to finance it.
The Following User Says Thank You to lizlizzie2 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (07-09-2019)