Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 AM

Default Cheaper alternative calls, skype?

so my man has been callin me on my mobile used to be every day but now its every 2-3 days as its so expensive, he wants me to get Skype on my phone, but I went to sign up and its like 80dollars for a Skype number for a year, how does everyone else deal with phone calls, is there any alternatives? I don't want a home phone. I heard someone did Skype but does it have to cost so much?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm in the same position as you., apparently there is a way of "hiring" a landline number and having it diverted to your mobile without actually having the home phone.
I'm still trying to get more info but will definitely post here as soon as I know.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 AM

There is a way through engin...1300 761 242.
The Following User Says Thank You to MadeinMelbourne For This Useful Post:
noworriesmatey (09-10-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 AM
Donation Award 

First check out about redirecting calls. Many instutitions do not allow that and you could loose your calls altogether.
I know calls are expensive, but please - stay within the rules.
I dont know anything about skype, but that sounds dubious to me.
Find out how much a land line plus the cost for calls, it might work out cheaper than a cel phone, but you'd have to be at home....
Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM

Good luck

Last edited by MadeinMelbourne; 07-31-2013 at 05:16 AM..
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 AM

I had 2 engin numbers, the first got cut off so I got another and that was on for about 3 months then intel cut it again. I thought id better not try again as I don't want to loose my calls altogether. Apparently there is an intel team in Melbourne that check all numbers at some stage so just be careful if you are using any of these as a call here and there is better than none at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sad_miss For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (09-14-2013), number8 (01-27-2015)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:12 AM

I just can't understand why they would cut it off! The number is in my name and I pay the account. Why are they such a**holes!

Last edited by Renee; 08-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Mod edited to change foul language
Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,950 Times in 3,184 Posts

Please be aware that many facilities consider third party programs like Skype and especially GoogleVoice as "against the rues." Facilities have the technology to detect these services, and WHEN the facility finds them (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), the least the facility will do is block calls. The facility could go as far as writing the inmate up and taking away visitation. A simple phone call to the facility to see if they work with the third party program could never hurt! I'm just trying to put the warning out there! Go with what's best for you, but in my book, being safe is better than being sorry!

If whatever prison system you're working with does not allow these kinds of "reduce prison call cost" services, we cannot help you do an end-run around their policies and tell you "how to" get them per PTO's policy on Illegal Activities. Please be aware that some prisons do not allow these services at all.

If that prison does not allow these "lower prison call costs" systems, when it is discovered by the prison or the by the phone service provider that the prison uses, your number may be blocked, and both of you might lose visitation. If you can, it's best to get a cell phone local to the prison to reduce costs. Please be careful! Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
number8 (08-23-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Please be aware that many facilities consider third party programs like Skype and especially GoogleVoice as "against the rues." Facilities have the technology to detect these services, and WHEN the facility finds them (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), the least the facility will do is block calls. The facility could go as far as writing the inmate up and taking away visitation. A simple phone call to the facility to see if they work with the third party program could never hurt! I'm just trying to put the warning out there! Go with what's best for you, but in my book, being safe is better than being sorry!

If whatever prison system you're working with does not allow these kinds of "reduce prison call cost" services, we cannot help you do an end-run around their policies and tell you "how to" get them per PTO's policy on Illegal Activities. Please be aware that some prisons do not allow these services at all.

If that prison does not allow these "lower prison call costs" systems, when it is discovered by the prison or the by the phone service provider that the prison uses, your number may be blocked, and both of you might lose visitation. If you can, it's best to get a cell phone local to the prison to reduce costs. Please be careful! Good luck!

I appreciate the warning, however how do you get a cell phone local to the prison and what does that even mean?
The Following User Says Thank You to MadeinMelbourne For This Useful Post:
Renee (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 AM

there is no landline connected to my house and I cannot afford to pay to have one connected.
I can't keep going days not hearing from my partner because calling my mobile costs too much... And I can't afford to send him any extra money.

I want to get a redirection service connected just so we can have frequent phone calls but to risk visitation rights is crazy!

If the calls are recorded and monitored anyway why does it matter what freakin number he's calling?!?!
How is it different from having an unregistered pre-paid SIM card?!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicuser For This Useful Post:
Renee (08-14-2013), TantLudd (12-12-2014)
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,950 Times in 3,184 Posts

I have to be honest and say I really don't know how things work in Australia. In the US, you can buy/register/get a cell phone and then activate it in a different area code. So, for instance if I live in NY and my landline home phone is 201-833-xxxx, I can buy a cell phone and have it activated in the place where his prison is located (ex. I can activate the cell phone in TX at 409-623-xxxx where he is located). That way, even if/though I'm in NY, when he calls the cell phone from Texas, HE is dialing a local number for him, so the calls will be cheaper. I'm not sure if it works that way in Australia, though. Sorry!

As for the redirection services, in the US, absolutely NO forwarding system is allowed anywhere. It's a security breach because the prison cannot verify through written documents where the call is going. (I personally think it has to do with the phone service provider not getting the money, too, but that's my personal soap box!)

I personally don't the particulars of how Skype works, and I'm not sure if it forwards calls or not (so it may be acceptable, but a call to verify that can never hurt!). I am sure that Google Voice DOES forward calls. They even talk about it on their own help desk site, so GV is often blocked.

So, the point is that I'm just trying to offer a warning. Whatever you choose, please do your homework and be careful! Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 08-15-2013, 04:39 PM

They said to me that intel looks at VOIP numbers like the prisoner is using the Internet, which they are not allowed to. It is crazy !! The world has progressed and many people only have VOIP numbers at home. They listen to an record the calls so as long as its to the person listed what does it matter. It's a hard one, I have tried to get around this but with no luck . I only have a couple of months left before my darling is home, so it's not so bad for me. If I hear of any ways to get around it I will let you know.
Kia Kaha (stay strong) xx

Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_miss View Post
They said to me that intel looks at VOIP numbers like the prisoner is using the Internet, which they are not allowed to. It is crazy !! The world has progressed and many people only have VOIP numbers at home. They listen to an record the calls so as long as its to the person listed what does it matter. It's a hard one, I have tried to get around this but with no luck . I only have a couple of months left before my darling is home, so it's not so bad for me. If I hear of any ways to get around it I will let you know.
Kia Kaha (stay strong) xx

It's ridiculous! It's frustrating how "behind the times" they are, just like not being able to electronically transfer funds to inamates spend accounts they need to move forward with technology!

When your engin numbers got cut off did you get any warning about visits or calls being suspended?
Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emylovestrevy View Post
so my man has been callin me on my mobile used to be every day but now its every 2-3 days as its so expensive, he wants me to get Skype on my phone, but I went to sign up and its like 80dollars for a Skype number for a year, how does everyone else deal with phone calls, is there any alternatives? I don't want a home phone. I heard someone did Skype but does it have to cost so much?
I used Skype months ago when my man was further away, and I'm sure it was cheaper than $80... if I remember correctly, it was around $20-$30 for 3 months,
I think there is an option to select say 1 month, 3, 6 months & so on
Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Donation Award 

My home number was cut off because an allegation had been made that I had been forwarding calls. There was no warning at all. They didnt tell my mate either.
I now have an 0800 number that goes to my landline ( a different one) and that 0800 has been approved by the prison, so I dont have to send money or phone cards any more, - or worry about him gettign them - which is a huge relief. I dont know if an 0800 can be to a cell phone, but that might be worth checking out. I use WorldxChange (https://www.wxc.co.nz/)

Whether you think the prison rules are unfair or unreasonable, is not the issue. Getting calls from your man is!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:59 AM

I use RHUB free audio conferencing service for conducting online meetings. It allows all participants in a meeting to attend an audio conference and get land-line quality. It is free and integrated.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Hey, you can take up a skype number. It is expensive but it will be worth the money since calling to mobile is so much more expensive. I dont think you will have any problems with it cause my boyfriend put up mine and his parents skype number and when he was asked about it and explained that it was a skype number there were no problems he is in BCC. Hope it helps, one a side note though the connection has not been too good when I was not at home so if you register a skype number and he calls make sure you have a propper internet connection.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren1006 View Post
Hey, you can take up a skype number. It is expensive but it will be worth the money since calling to mobile is so much more expensive. I dont think you will have any problems with it cause my boyfriend put up mine and his parents skype number and when he was asked about it and explained that it was a skype number there were no problems he is in BCC. Hope it helps, one a side note though the connection has not been too good when I was not at home so if you register a skype number and he calls make sure you have a propper internet connection.
Hi Lauren,

My man is in BCC - just recently and he was told that he cannot call internationally here to Canada. Could you provide me a contact person at BCC that I could talk to regarding this. I would like to do this properly so my man does not get into trouble.
You are in Australia though, so maybe I might be out of luck being in Canada.

Thanks Lauren
Dee
Old 01-10-2015, 12:29 AM

Hi everyone,

Regarding my man calling from BCC internationally to Canada, where originally it was disallowed has now changed- thank goodness.
They are now allowing him to call me and I am receiving two calls per week- an answer to prayer.

Cheers!

D677
The Following User Says Thank You to D677 For This Useful Post:
number8 (01-27-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 11:39 PM
Koo

I use a skype number in which my man rings me on and connects to my mobile, this is so much cheaper.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Hey I have a Skype number it has workd out so much cheaper, I pay $24 for 3 months .I also make sure I keep skype credit topd up can get $6 credit and have call forwarding so incase I have bad reception or it goes offline my partners calls are forwarded to my mobile get charged I think price of a local call.. My partner has been away a year now thanks to Skype I get to talk to him 2-3 times a day deffanatly worth it hope that helps
Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 AM

Default telstra phone diversion

yes there is away it costs $130 per year. Ring Telstra ask for a land line number in the area of the prison. Buy the number for a year and have it diverted to your mobile. Set rate of $130 per annum but your partner will be paying 40c per call. You wont pay any other fees. You will probably talk to a number of staff at Telstra who have no idea what your asking for but get to the technical support for help. The other alternative is Engin which is a diversion agent but that costs about $50 per month. I think telstra set the new system up to stop the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicuser View Post
I'm in the same position as you., apparently there is a way of "hiring" a landline number and having it diverted to your mobile without actually having the home phone.
I'm still trying to get more info but will definitely post here as soon as I know.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 PM

Skype is only $24 for 3 months which is good ,I prefer it so I'm not lockd into 12 months I just pay every 3 months and my partner just pays the price of a local call I've had my skype over 12 months never had an issue ��
Old 06-22-2019, 11:51 PM
Account Closed

Default Enquiry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinMelbourne View Post
There is a way through engin...1300 761 242.

Hello
I just read your post I'm new to this site.
my son is in the MRC Melbourne

can i pls ask what is the rate u pay for engin

with thanx
Old 06-23-2019, 01:20 AM
Embrace Your Wild ⭐️
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,684 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz-Shepparton View Post
Hello
I just read your post I'm new to this site.
my son is in the MRC Melbourne

can i pls ask what is the rate u pay for engin

with thanx
Hi there and welcome to Prison Talk

The member you are responding to has not logged in since 2014 - I believe the rates have probably also changed a lot during the last years since this thread was posted...but hopefully someone will catch this thread popping up now and will give you helpful advice