Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

Old 05-25-2019, 12:39 PM

Default Is there a way to find out if my bf is in the hole?

Hi everyone, I havenít been able to reach by boyfriend in several days now. He usually communicates with me several times a day so this is really odd. I have a feeling something happened to him and he might be in the hole. How can I find out if that is the case? I was supposed to go visit him tomorrow but itís a 5 h drive so I donít want to do all that driving to get there and they tell me I canít see him.
I have no idea what to do. I just want to make sure heís ok and Iím worried because weíve never not communicated for this long.
Iím new to this so not sure how to get a hold of him. I sent him two messages through JPay but can he get those if heís in the hole? If I send him a letter will he get lt?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM

Thanked 1,019 Times in 571 Posts

He should get a letter. You could try and call the prison but sometimes they won't give out information to people if you are not his next of kin. They could be on lockdown. I know it's hard but try not to worry I'm sure he will be in contact as soon as he can
Old 05-25-2019, 01:35 PM

I called the facility but no answer. I wonder if I should go to my visit tomorrow or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by judiwoo View Post
He should get a letter. You could try and call the prison but sometimes they won't give out information to people if you are not his next of kin. They could be on lockdown. I know it's hard but try not to worry I'm sure he will be in contact as soon as he can
Old 05-25-2019, 02:30 PM
Strength Keeps Me Going

All you can do is wait for him to write you a letter and letting you know what happened if he's in the hole. The prison isn't going to give you information about what landed him in the hole. You'll just have to wait it out to ask him for yourself. I wouldn't make that trip to visit him if he's in the hole.

You can go on vpass and check to see if the prison he's at is on lock down. Visiting Status
Old 05-25-2019, 02:41 PM

My advice is to try and get in contact with the prison. Because you are not family it can be difficult to get information. It is done to protect the inmate, in some cases they don't want to be contacted etc. I know this is not the case for you.

But my advice is to keep trying to talk to the prison to see if you can get someone to give you some information about your inmate. There is not a lot that they can give out to the public. There are different ways you can go about it. You ask if the prison is on lockdown and if visiting is open. If they say there is visiting, you ask if you came tomorrow, can you get a visit with your inmate. Tell them you are on his list and you will be driving 5 hours etc. If they say his visits are suspended you ask if there is an alternate day for visits. In my prison our SHU inmates still get visits, but only one day a week. Beating around the bush can sometimes get you the answers you need.

No generally they can not get email access in the SHU, but they still get letters. If you think his account is very low I would put some money on there, that way he can make a phone call when he is allowed.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Thank you. I have been calling the prison but no answer. At this point I think Iím gonna have to drive there and find out. Iím just concerned about him. I just want to make sure heís ok. But I guess tomorrow I will find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
My advice is to try and get in contact with the prison. Because you are not family it can be difficult to get information. It is done to protect the inmate, in some cases they don't want to be contacted etc. I know this is not the case for you.

But my advice is to keep trying to talk to the prison to see if you can get someone to give you some information about your inmate. There is not a lot that they can give out to the public. There are different ways you can go about it. You ask if the prison is on lockdown and if visiting is open. If they say there is visiting, you ask if you came tomorrow, can you get a visit with your inmate. Tell them you are on his list and you will be driving 5 hours etc. If they say his visits are suspended you ask if there is an alternate day for visits. In my prison our SHU inmates still get visits, but only one day a week. Beating around the bush can sometimes get you the answers you need.

No generally they can not get email access in the SHU, but they still get letters. If you think his account is very low I would put some money on there, that way he can make a phone call when he is allowed.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,926 Times in 12,664 Posts

Keep calling, and if someone finally answers ask if he can receive visitors. There is a better chance that question would be answered than asking if he is in the hole. If they don't answer the phone, driving there is the only way to get some information, although it may still not answer your actual questions.

In many prisons. the only folks lower than family members are the prisoners.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:57 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,701 Times in 7,692 Posts

It can be near impossible to reach CDCR staff on a weekend. The only folks there working the office are visiting staff and they're processing and working with visitors.

If you've checked VPASS and the 800 number and there is no indication that his yard is down, the only choice you have is to go and let them inform you if he's unable to receive visits (if you're a walk-in try to explain to a staff member before you wait) or stay home and hope he calls.

It's a tough position to be in. I've driven two states to find out they locked the yard down that morning.

IF you don't go tomorrow and you still haven't heard from him, fbop is right-- you can call and ask if he's eligible for visits OR you can call the mailroom and ask to verify housing for an inmate. Sometimes they won't give you the exact housing, but they'll give you the yard. If that's different than what you knew then he might be on disciplinary.

Best of luck and I hope everything is all right.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 AM

If I'm not mistaking didn't you mention in another post that he was text messaging you and face timing? So it could be possible that they did a search and he was found with his cell phone. Everyone is pretty much right they won't give you much info if your not family but sometimes records will and they usually don't ask who you are then again that too depends on who answers the phone in records. Well, hope you find out what happened. My post might be a lil late I think.
miamac (05-26-2019), MizzyMuffling (05-26-2019), Sarianna (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 04:07 PM

Well I went to see him today and they told me I could see him. I was in the visitation room and he was taking a long time to come out so one of the other inmates asked me how long I had been waiting and suggested I asked why it was taking so long. So I asked and they told me something happened in his unit and they were in restrains. So I was talking to the other inmate and he told me something happened the last few days and itís been crazy in there. He told me thatís why he probably couldnít contact me. So as Iím talking to this inmate the facility announced that all visits were canceled and the facility was on lockdown. I couldnít see him but I know heís ok. I donít think heís in the hole cause they were going to let me see him. I know heís alive which is good. Iím sending him a letter and hopefully I will hear from him soon. Iím still worried but at least I know heís ok for now. I just miss not talking to him because we talk a lot and itís just weird not having him calling me etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis213 View Post
If I'm not mistaking didn't you mention in another post that he was text messaging you and face timing? So it could be possible that they did a search and he was found with his cell phone. Everyone is pretty much right they won't give you much info if your not family but sometimes records will and they usually don't ask who you are then again that too depends on who answers the phone in records. Well, hope you find out what happened. My post might be a lil late I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spdivasc For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-26-2019)