Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Indiana prison and criminal justice system.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Legislation News

I saw this on the news today so thought I would share it with everyone. The bill won't be introduced until 2010 but if it gets passed it would be good news for many. We may want to write letters showing our support for the bill.

Violence on The Rise in Indiana Prisons
By the Associated Press
10/25/2009
Indiana's prisons are experiencing an increase in inmate assaults and attacks on staff - a trend the state prison chief blames largely on overcrowding caused by inadequate funding for new beds.
In the first half of 2009, Indiana's prisons had 514 inmate-on-inmate attacks, 62 of which caused serious injuries. That compares with 719 such attacks, 101 with serious injuries, during all of 2008, The Journal Gazette of Fort Wayne reported Sunday.Edwin Buss, the commissioner of the Indiana Department of Correction, said the shortage of bed space in parts of some state prisons has created a volatile situation.Every murderer or armed robber sentenced today has no bed waiting for them," he said. "It hasn't had a traumatic effect yet, but I liken prison overcrowding to playing Russian roulette."
Indiana is housing 27,300 inmates - a number grows between 1,000 and 1,200 every year.Each month, about 100 new prisoners enter the prison network, whether there is room for them or not. Buss said the agency has not received funding for new beds or additional guards in years, pushing inmates, correctional officers and the public into potential danger.
Some areas of the prison system have more available beds than others, such as those for juveniles and women.But Buss said the department is struggling with the number of beds for adult males, and at any given time in an adult male facility the ratio of inmates to staff could be 100 to 1.He said Indiana now has no open maximum-security or high-medium-security beds for adult male offenders. That means violent offenders are being bunked in lower-security dormitory spaces and bunks are being moved closer to fit more in, adding to potential for violence.
"It's never been safe. It's a violent society in there," said Rep. Vernon Smith, D-Gary.Statistics for the first six months in 2009 show serious-injury assaults between inmates usually involving a hospital visit or follow-up care are on pace to rise 23 percent this year if the trend continues.
Non-serious-injury assaults, scrapes, bruises and cuts are likely to be up 46 percent for the full year based on the first six months.
The number of assaults on prison staff has not risen as much as inmate-on-inmate violence. While serious-injury assaults are on track to drop, non-serious-injury assaults are expected to be up 15 percent.
Buss sought two prison expansions during last year's contentious budget session. But while Democrats pushed capital construction for colleges and universities as a way to create jobs, they staked out a position against prison construction, and Gov. Mitch Daniels eventually dropped the request.Buss said 6,000 offenders come in every year with sentences of six months or less, many for drug possession, fraud, forgery and other nonviolent offenses.He encourages lawmakers to re-evaluate sentencing options for these crimes.State Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, is filing a bill for the 2010 legislative session which would allow nonviolent offenders who have served at least half their sentence to post a bond to be released from prison early.The percentage of the sentence that must be served is flexible, he said. But an important part of the program would be having a family member also sign the bond and take a role in the offender's behavior on release.It's like early parole," Steele said. "But with a financial stake."
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbyjpcv For This Useful Post:
ihotlips69 (11-11-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2009, 10:27 AM

That would be great I know I will be writing and I will have family members do the same
thank you for sharing this info...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM

thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 05:50 PM

Here in Hamilton County we can thank Judge Gail Bardach for making the overcrowding that much worse. I think she must get a kick back or something...She is too harsh and we voters need to let her know that when she comes up for re-election in 2012!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsODDGOON6 View Post
Here in Hamilton County we can thank Judge Gail Bardach for making the overcrowding that much worse. I think she must get a kick back or something...She is too harsh and we voters need to let her know that when she comes up for re-election in 2012!

I agree with you. Judge Gail Bardach is way too hard when it comes down to it.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM
child please...

Question

I have been nosing around in the IN legislature about this bill and the closest thing I can find from Mr. Steele is something about reviewing sentencing policies and another one about the parole board. Isn't this more or less the same as 2-for-1 that's already there? My girl got 15 do 7 1/2 so would this drop her time to actually sit to like 3 years and some change?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:25 AM
He loves me so amazingly!

((((Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, is filing a bill for the 2010 legislative session which would allow nonviolent offenders who have served at least half their sentence to post a bond to be released from prison early.The percentage of the sentence that must be served is flexible, he said. But an important part of the program would be having a family member also sign the bond and take a role in the offender's behavior on release.It's like early parole," Steele said. "But with a financial stake."))))

Ok... so if an offender has served 1/2 of his sentence... he should be at his/her outdate...
The Following User Says Thank You to LBoogie0810 For This Useful Post:
sadiemae92003 (03-08-2010)
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
It'll get better in time

This would be great if this actually passed, however I see one slight drawback.

Say your loved one got sentenced to 12 years, do 6. So at the 3 year mark, let's say they get released on a $10,000.00 bond according to this law. You pay the 10k to get your loved one released.

Now that the state has your bond money and they "will give it back" once your loved one sentence is done.

I can see them (the state) trying to violate your loved one on the littlest thing so they can say, "Well your loved one has violated the conditions of this law, now they need to go back to prison to finish out their sentence. There is a lot of open space in out prisons now because we bonded out a whole lot of prisoners, but don't worry, most of the will be returning too. Oh yea and another thing, Thanks for the forfeited $10,000.00 bond. We'll put it to good use."

I don't meant to be pessimistic, but I can see this happening.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBoogie0810 View Post
((((Sen. Brent Steele, R-Bedford, is filing a bill for the 2010 legislative session which would allow nonviolent offenders who have served at least half their sentence to post a bond to be released from prison early.The percentage of the sentence that must be served is flexible, he said. But an important part of the program would be having a family member also sign the bond and take a role in the offender's behavior on release.It's like early parole," Steele said. "But with a financial stake."))))

Ok... so if an offender has served 1/2 of his sentence... he should be at his/her outdate...
Thank would be great. Will you keep us updated as when they vote and any other news.