Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Indiana prison and criminal justice system.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Default Conditional Early Release Bond Bill

I wanted to pass this information along to the group. This bill seems to have taken effect this month. Here is the bill and a link to the Indiana Code where this law has been added. I am trying to find out more specific information from the parole board about how this would work. My friend tells me there has been news stories about the bill but I haven't seen any. He is pretty excited about the possibility of bonding out for an early release. There are many stipulations listed in the bill but it looks like perhaps there is a way for some to bond out early. If anyone has seen this bill on the news please let me know. When you read the synopsis of the bill it looks like it is still in committee. When you read the bill as added to the Indiana Code it says it goes into effect July, 2010.
thanks. http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/IN/HB1354

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../IN1354.1.html

Check out Chapter 8 of the bill in the Indiana Code link. That is the part that mentions conditional early release and has been added to the Indiana Code.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbyjpcv For This Useful Post:
Maddie49 (07-18-2010), MJDNRP-6885 (07-18-2010), Snowwolf (07-18-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,202 Posts

This is awesome for someone convicted of a nonviolent misdemeanor. Thank you for shareing!

Snowwolf
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Default conditional early release

The way I read it this bill isn't just for non-violent misdemeanors. It is for non-violent offenders but also covers those who have been convicted of felonies. Other states have this but they call it post conviction early release bond and it is used to let inmates who meet certain requirements bond out on early release. I have contacted the sponsor of the bill and asked him for clarification of what this bill means. I will let you know what I find out. If anyone else out there has information please let us know.
thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbyjpcv For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (07-18-2010)
Old 07-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,202 Posts

*feeels dum now* lol Thank you I was looking at the wrong stinking bill. Too many numbers

Snowwolf
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 AM

alright, I'm off to look into this. I don't want to pay for an associates degree if this thing will work instead

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM

If you view the action list it is still in committee. Just because it says it is to be enacted on a certain date doesn't mean it has been signed into law, it's just that he was hopeful that he could get it through in that time frame. here is what it says:

Action List: House Bill 1354

2010 2nd Regular Session

Authors: Ruppel

DateChamber Action
01/13/2010 H Authored by Representative Ruppel
01/13/2010 H First reading: referred to Committee on Courts and Criminal Code

So it hasn't even gotten past the first reading.

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.

Last edited by Cycleman6; 07-19-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Default conditional early release

That is what I thought as well but if you read the whole code which is the second link on the page I sent it does say in effect July 1st, 2010. Did you take a look at the whole Indiana Code mentioned in the bill? My friend asked the guys in the law library at the facility and they all felt since it said in effect in July that is had been passed. I felt as you do that they were hopeful it would be in effect and since I can't find any mention of it actually passing I am of the mind that it is still in committee. I am going to ask a bail bonds person if they have heard anything about this bill since they would be the ones involved as well. My friend told me many of the guys at his facility said their families had heard mention of this bill on the news but I haven't seen any mention of it as of yet. I would think Mitch would make a big deal about such legislation considering they are looking into prison overcrowding. I do know other states have such a bill in place so I am hopeful this bill will pass soon. I have contacted the author of the bill and I will let you know what I find out from him.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM

Default Update on Conditional Early Release

My friend called and told me he spoke with the head classification officer at his facility and they told him the bill had passed. They said they were informed today. They don't have any other information such as how it will all work but I assume that is still being worked out. I don't know what the next step is but it looks like early release may be in the cards for some.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Hi I am wondering would battery (due to a non weapon) be considered in this bill as well ( a person who hit someone now serving 18 mos do 9 for a D felony).... Just want to be hopeful....
Old 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM

I'm really not trying to argue ;-) I just want to be sure we are all looking at the same things.

Here is the current adopted codes listed on the introduced version of the bill:

IC 11-13-3-4
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar13/ch3.html

and

IC 35-38
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar38/ch2.html

The introduced copy has only been signed by the author
http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/.../IN1354.1.html

I am still not seeing it lol and I can't get your links working on the first post

Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 AM

Default another update on conditional release bond

Thanks for all your comments and for looking into this as well. Once my friend called and told me he had spoken to someone at the facility who should know about this stuff and they said it had passed I decided to contact the sponsor of the bill Rep. Ruppel. He was very nice but told me for sure the bill did not pass. He said he wasn't sure why anyone at the facility would say they were informed the bill had passed since the bill never made it to the vote. I called the facility and was given similar information as my friend had received. But obviously they are mistaken since the sponsor of the bill would know more about the bill. Needless to say my friend and others who also thought the bill had passed are pretty frustrated and bummed out. The person at the facility even told my friend how he should start the process. Obviously they were not talking about the same thing. So anyway. Sorry to get our hopes up. Rep. Ruppel did mention contacting our legislators and asking them about this bill because it can always come back to the floor with someone else. That is what I am planning on doing--contacting my Senators and Representatives and asking them to push for this bill to go through. Other states have a similar bill on the books and have for a few years. He said the bill had never been heard in committee but it had been sent to committee. Perhaps they are waiting to see what information comes out of the Pew prison report. Hopefully this is the direction IDOC will consider going. Something has to be done about the overcrowding and this has been a solution for many other systems.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Bummer, I was REALLY hoping I was wrong. I guess the biggest thing I have learned throughout this process is that you can never believe what a facility tells you or an inmate. You never know what they have up their sleeve. It could just be to be mean and to have a power trip about making people believe that there is a way for them to get out sooner.

Hold onto that fury and zeal you have to make changes. Look into Indiana CURE and get involved! If we all work together things will change! We all have to just be willing to put a bit of our heart and soul into it!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 AM
child please...

WELL DOO-DOO! I've already sent a copy to my girl at IWP. Now I feel bad for getting her hopes all up. Guess I'll have to break the bad news to her. Do you guys know if it would even apply to a class A felony dealing charge? No guns involved and no one got hurt so is it considered non-violent? I know they really look down on dealing in narcotics so I'm just wondering... Thanks for all the info though, you guys really help us out.