Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Indiana prison and criminal justice system.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Plainfield re-entry move

We went and visited our son Wenesday when we pulled in the lot it was full of white vans. Yeap its moving time! proble weekend of the 13th I know not this weekend because we will Be taking his daughter there for a Christmas party with him and we were informed the party is still on as scheduled . Bill said they have moving trucks there daily and everything is pretty much gone. the visit was great we played UNO My husand was the big winner. Bill said Thanksgiving was good and he said he had real fun for the 1st time in a long time the following day when they got to play football. he seemed really happy at our visit which made me feel good Not looking foward to diving to Indy in the winter but its coming.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Default Preff

Hi can you give me some info on plainfield re-entry facility? Do they have more freedom there? Are they allowed to wear there own clothes or state clothes? Is it dorm housing? Are they free to roam the grounds? Are they fenced in? Im wondering if it is run like the other prisons. Thank You
Old 12-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiesue1984 View Post
Hi can you give me some info on plainfield re-entry facility? Do they have more freedom there? Are they allowed to wear there own clothes or state clothes? Is it dorm housing? Are they free to roam the grounds? Are they fenced in? Im wondering if it is run like the other prisons. Thank You
Its not like the other prisons they are free to roam the grounds.They must be in there dorm by 9pm. Yes there is a fence. They can wear there own cloths thay put them on a list and you bring them in. they have a caffitearia if you take a credit or debt card you can buy them and yourself a hotmeal also there are vending machines. You can take in 20.00 in cash but only credit or debt for hot food. They are addressed by Mr or resident not inmate they have programs and education classes for them my son feels like a man again since being there.Warning they are very strict you go by the rules and treat each other with respect or you are imeditly sent back to prison!! They will be moving to the old womens prison in next couple of weeks but it will be yhe same re-entry program. they are keeping it all the same have a great day and good luck to you and yours
Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Default Preff

Thank You so much for answering my questions. Goodluck to you also. Have a great day.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:03 PM

Default plainfield re-entry move this saturday

talked to my son last night and they will be moved to the womens prison saturday 12/12/09 visit's will start again next week
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM

no visit's til Christmas day
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 PM

What are they doing with the old facility? anyone know?

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman6 View Post
What are they doing with the old facility? anyone know?
it will be turned into a short term prison for inmates that are sentenced to 1 year or less medium security
Old 12-19-2009, 07:12 PM

Sorry if I seem sense

I am just trying to figure out how they are opening up so many beds with this move? Is there going to be more space available for the re-entry program? I'm just seeing them shift everyone to different facilities and not understanding how 2,400 beds are going to suddenly open up. I'm just blabbering so much because I'm trying to figure out when they may begin moving DOC hold guys out of county jails and into the prison system. I would LOVE to finally get to give my husband a hug and to have a longer visit than 30 minutes. It would also be nice for him to be able to get into some time cut programs! I just feel like he's getting screwed over and falling through the cracks of the system because he can't get to prison! Sounds crazy...I know!

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM

This "should" essentially make 2 re-entry facilities since the short term offenders program will have a re-entry piece to it. (20% of the people in the short term offender program will be on work release.)

The beds are going to be made across the state. It started with the old girls school moving. Then the old girls school got upgraded and the women's prison moved in. Presumably with more beds than before.

The old Women's prison got upgraded and the re-entry program moved into there. Presumably with more beds.

That leaves the last portion of opening the short term offenders program and this will probably be when the mad house takes place. Technically speaking most all of the beds in the short term offender program are going to be "new" to the system.

If I were running DOC like a business I would try to immediately fill up the short term offender program. First pulling people from across the state who are already in prison and have less than 1 year left to serve. (Those people have already been through RDC.)

Next I'd start pulling people out of DOC holding who have already been through RDC, if someone already has a DOC number they only take 2 weeks to go through RDC. Those people if they have less than 1 year can go to the short term offender program OR they can go to a bed that was opened in another prison by an inmate moved to the short term program.

The last people I'd take out of DOC holding would be the people who have never been to RDC before.

Considering your numbers for the people in DOC holding (1,800) they could in theory have DOC holding 100% cleared out by the end of March 2010. I'm not saying that's what is going to happen, but I'm betting that the short term program is up and going not too long into January since it was supposed to be open by the end of December.

Who knows we both might be going to DOC soon. ha ha.

Quote:
Sorry if I seem sense

I am just trying to figure out how they are opening up so many beds with this move? Is there going to be more space available for the re-entry program? I'm just seeing them shift everyone to different facilities and not understanding how 2,400 beds are going to suddenly open up. I'm just blabbering so much because I'm trying to figure out when they may begin moving DOC hold guys out of county jails and into the prison system. I would LOVE to finally get to give my husband a hug and to have a longer visit than 30 minutes. It would also be nice for him to be able to get into some time cut programs! I just feel like he's getting screwed over and falling through the cracks of the system because he can't get to prison! Sounds crazy...I know!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 PM

the re entry in plainfield will take 1 to 2 months since it was low security before they have to put extra fenceing up and put actual cells inside the facaulity as it will be medium security and a lot of remodeling to make it secure when its ready it will hold around a thousand inmate also with in the next 2 weeks they will be adding around 300 new inmate into the re-enty facaulity in indpls hopefully this will let alot more inmates get into class to help them mentally and with time cuts my son says classes will start back up jan 1st and the 1st visit there wil be on Christmas day can't wait to see him best of luck to all of you
Old 12-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the update. I've got a lot of guys asking me "when" they're going to RDC and on out. ha ha.

Did I understand you right then. The Re-Entry facility is not yet up and going in the old women's prison? I thought I saw where that had move, but perhaps it was just the women's prison that got moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills momsad View Post
the re entry in plainfield will take 1 to 2 months since it was low security before they have to put extra fenceing up and put actual cells inside the facaulity as it will be medium security and a lot of remodeling to make it secure when its ready it will hold around a thousand inmate also with in the next 2 weeks they will be adding around 300 new inmate into the re-enty facaulity in indpls hopefully this will let alot more inmates get into class to help them mentally and with time cuts my son says classes will start back up jan 1st and the 1st visit there wil be on Christmas day can't wait to see him best of luck to all of you
Old 12-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Here is something weird though...My hubby has never been through RDC but has a DOC number already...is that odd?

Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM

A little, but not really. I've seen a number of people who get sentenced to DOC for 4 months or what have you, they never actually went to DOC, but DOC issued them a number I suppose it's required to go with their paperwork if nothing else.

Quote:
Here is something weird though...My hubby has never been through RDC but has a DOC number already...is that odd?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:56 PM

I went and visited my son on Christmas at the new re-entry at the old womens prison it was a good visit. But the staff seemed to be over whelmed maybe it was because there had not been visits in 3 weeks and it was Christmas so it was very crowded they just seemed very confussed as to what was aloud and what wasnt like the guys being able to take snaks back with them My son says it seens like they are taking a step backwards not forward they told them there would be no more drug abuse class at this facuility and they other classes will allow less inmates to enroll I dont see how this is helping anyone and if they don't offer drug class there. Then they cant get a time cut he said over a hundred guys have put in request to transferred not only for that reason but they feel things are not as safe and peaceful with the staff like they use to be he says its like alot of things are changing and they feel like the freedom they had is being restricted before they where treated like everyday people but since the move they feel like inmates again there selfsteam has been taken away . I personal thing this is very bad to do to people right before they get out they are suppose to be pumpimg them up teaching them how to cope not taking those thinks away I hope they get it together soon my son will be home soon and those programs helped him so much and I know they can help other son's and fathers there goodluck to all we will be going again this week will let you all know how it goes
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme_in View Post
Thanks for the update. I've got a lot of guys asking me "when" they're going to RDC and on out. ha ha.

Did I understand you right then. The Re-Entry facility is not yet up and going in the old women's prison? I thought I saw where that had move, but perhaps it was just the women's prison that got moved.
the new one in indpls in up and runing the plainfield re-entry is going to be turned into one also medium security so they have to add some fence and other things
Old 01-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Any word on how they are progressing?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme_in View Post
Any word on how they are progressing?
might be done in a month or so depends on the weather and the rain does not help but if your man goes there it is a nice place and the grounds are nice looks like a college sitting and I bet they keep the hotfood delia open you would actully be able to sit and have a real dinner with your guy good luck to you and yours. on another note at the indpls re-entry they have visitations now 7 days a week which is so nice our visits were getting cut so short hopefully this will fix the crowed visits