Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik00z28 View Post
When Jackson was there they did the annual lockdowns about halfway through april and right at 6 months later in mid to late october. I know, I was there. Its pretty common for a new Warden to have a lockdown, and TDCJ's website shows Keith Gorsuch as the new Senior Warden. I dont know how this guy does things, but when I was there it was right at about 30 days.

But heres the thing-well, atleast this was the case when I was there with Norris Jackson- not all wings are locked down for the full 30 days. The first thing they shake down is the trusty camp (after all they need them to go work in the kitchen in the building and the laundry, work the infirmary, hog barns and livestock etc). They will get shaken down and let up within 3 days usually.

Then they start shaking down the wings. Theyll start on ABCD and get the sign shop and kitchen workers up and going. Once those wings are up they should turn the phones back on. If you are on the northside - LMNP TU etc you are going to be waiting a while.

Also-with there being a new Warden, its very likely this guy might be taking his time to be extremely thorough now that Beto is "under his watch".
Thank you so much for the information. I am new to this as well and have been trying to find info about what happens during a lock-down and what is the purpose? I know prisons don't need a reason to do what they do, but I've heard this is an annual thing. I did call this morning to see if they knew how much longer it would be since it has already been 2 weeks and was told "when the warden comes on and says it's over, then it's over. Until then, we have no idea."
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,331 Posts

The semi annual lockdowns are to search for contraband. They go wing by wing and search every cell and common area where inmates go. So there's really no way to know how long it will take, especially at rough units like Beto where the guys can be difficult and prolong the process.

There are also disciplinary lock downs that happen...Beto was locked down for a month when my husband was there due to riots.