Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:48 AM

Default My straight penpal marries a transgender woman.

My penpal emailed me (jpay) informing me that he married his fellow inmate friend who is a transgender woman. I was so surprised since he is a straight man! He said he never dreamed of finding love again and surprised himself falling in love with her! He had a wife before. I think his new "wife" had a wife before, too. Have two straight guys fall in love before in prison? I don't blame him cuz there are no women in men's prisons. So my penpal got involved with a trans woman. They are very happy.

Is it legal in California? I think it is.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,358 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jactree View Post
Have two straight guys fall in love before in prison? I don't blame him cuz there are no women in men's prisons
It probably happens more than we know

I believe a gay marriage is legal in CA for an incarcerated person when his/her spouse is NOT an inmate...but as for two inmates getting married...? Not sure, couldn't find any info on that; personally I think it sounds a bit unlikely...but anyone please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:46 AM

Thanked 10,640 Times in 5,827 Posts

Prison facilities have been 'doing' gay marriages for decades...they just were not formally sanctioned by the State. First one I saw in Texas was somewhere around '88.

As to whether THIS one is sanctioned...don't know, don't care. But no, it is NOT uncommon for 'straight' people to go gay for the stay or in some cases, act on feelings that always lurked under the surface.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
jactree (01-02-2018), Sarianna (12-17-2017), xolady (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,471 Posts

I never believe in being gay for the stay your either straight gay or bi if you can marry someone of the same sex and still like the opposite sex then he was definitely bi before going to prison even though he may have never acted on it.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 8,002 Times in 3,481 Posts

Well as long as he is happy with his choices it doesn't really matter.I doubt the marriage will be sanctioned by the state but I would imagine its not about that. Its probably more about lonliness and companionship.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (01-02-2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,266 Times in 2,702 Posts

Sounds kind of odd to me. I know that gay marriage is legal but most likely not between inmates at the same prison.

In Kentucky, DOC policies state no sexual acts of any kind between inmates allowed.
Heck, an inmate can get written up and sent to the hole if they are caught masterbating.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Thanked 2,777 Times in 899 Posts

A straight man and a transgender woman is not “two straight men”, nor”gay for the stay”, nor “gay” period...

You’re either using the wrong word to describe his wife, or you are being shockingly insensitive towards transgender people.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,253 Times in 10,591 Posts

He fell in love with a person, not a 'transgender'.
cien (01-30-2018), Gardis.Girl13 (12-17-2017), John M (01-10-2018), JustBeingMe67 (12-18-2017), LifeTraveler (12-18-2017), marco1969 (12-17-2017), mauri23 (12-17-2017), Revenwyn (01-11-2018), WARWICKSHIRE (12-19-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,470 Times in 1,811 Posts

Gay Marriage is legal in California. I am not sure that inmate-inmate marriage is sanctioned by the state but I remember many unofficial “weddings” happened at CIW when Dee was there performed by the inmates and very much celebrated with on-yard ceremonies. It’s possible that’s what he meant.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 12-18-2017, 03:31 AM
Mail Addict
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jactree View Post
My penpal emailed me (jpay) informing me that he married his fellow inmate friend who is a transgender woman. I was so surprised since he is a straight man!
(...)
I think his new "wife" had a wife before, too.
(...)
Have two straight guys fall in love before in prison?
If she is a transgender, then your pal is still considered "straight". Or if you insist on sticking a non-standard label on it, he's probably "pansexual". Calling him gay is a disservice to both.

The transgergender person isn't a "guy", you'd be better off by either calling her a transgender or -which is more likely preferred- (trans)woman. And if she is identifying as straight (meaning she loves men as a woman), then there is nothing gay about it. Many transpeople have tried to conform to pressures of society (especially those who are older) and have been in a seemingly "straight" marriage before coming out of the closet.

Please be more respectful to those who have it difficult enough with their (gender) identity and sexual orientation.

Last edited by Ms. Amnesia; 12-18-2017 at 03:36 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ms. Amnesia For This Useful Post:
joybubby (05-23-2018), nimuay (12-18-2017), Raf's Girl (12-18-2017), WeepingWillow (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Thanked 10,640 Times in 5,827 Posts

Two people in a MALE facility. Straight guys do not go for people packing tackle, and given that California WILL place someone WITHOUT tackle into a women's facility, we KNOW that the other party to the marriage has not had surgery. Ergo, in the eyes of rational people, this is two guys, one who was clearly claiming straight and another that was married to an actual female prior to prison. A particular demographic does not get the right to force others to accept their delusions that they are 'female' simply because they don makeup and a dress.

That being said, it still comes back to the fact that whether the marriage is sanctioned by the State is not really relevant given that this was a pen-pal situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Lorraine (12-19-2017), missingdee (12-18-2017), Shadowkisses (01-02-2018), xolady (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 05:07 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,470 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Two people in a MALE facility. Straight guys do not go for people packing tackle, and given that California WILL place someone WITHOUT tackle into a women's facility, we KNOW that the other party to the marriage has not had surgery. Ergo, in the eyes of rational people, this is two guys, one who was clearly claiming straight and another that was married to an actual female prior to prison. A particular demographic does not get the right to force others to accept their delusions that they are 'female' simply because they don makeup and a dress.

That being said, it still comes back to the fact that whether the marriage is sanctioned by the State is not really relevant given that this was a pen-pal situation.
Even on a liberal level, it would be difficult for me to classify the "woman" in this case to be transgendered the same way I would out here. This sounds like it may be more a case of "situational sexuality" taken to an extreme with gender roles adapted to suit the comfort of the "man" in the relationship. Whether this marriage would work as-is outside the gates, to me, is very uncertain.

I have seen (and Dee confirms this, in fact we very recently got onto this topic for some reason and she basically got wide-eyed and said "I saw some women in prison who looked more like men than some men I've met out here,") plenty of women who identify as men in prison, even going so far as to grow out facial hair (and I've seen pictures, some of these women grow pretty convincing beards) essentially living as males in prison, but most, if not all, upon release, remove those features from their face...they might retain some masculine traits, but tend to live as homosexual women in the outside world.

But back to the original topic.....whether it's same-gender identity or a proper-gender and transgender (for lack of a better way of putting it) doesn't matter. An inmate cannot marry another inmate, I know this is the case in California and in Texas and from what I know in every other state.....if there is an exception I am not aware of it.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Old 12-19-2017, 03:32 AM

Let them be who they are. If they feel they are married who are we to deliberate about the technicalities?
If the OP wasn't romantically involved with the straight guy why worry about it. They will know better than most of us what they can get away with, for the prison retaliating on them.
Seen it happen before and all. In the end they were separated but for the time being they had someone they could rely on.
Let them live their lives and be happy for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raf's Girl For This Useful Post:
Ms. Amnesia (12-19-2017), nimuay (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 AM

i firmly believe that if you find someone who loves and cares for you and makes you happy, who cares what gender, colour, nationality, race or religion they are!

As for whether the situation is legal, I don't so cant help know, but its sounds like the OP is happy for their pen pan, and that is whats important here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WARWICKSHIRE For This Useful Post:
Ms. Amnesia (12-19-2017), nimuay (12-19-2017)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
A straight man and a transgender woman is not “two straight men”, nor”gay for the stay”, nor “gay” period...

You’re either using the wrong word to describe his wife, or you are being shockingly insensitive towards transgender people.
This transgender woman was a straight man before he transited to a woman. That's how I described. But I was wrong. My penpal told me later that his new wife was attracted to straight men.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:03 AM
Married May 27, 2017!

There was a woman at my husband's old prison in his unit who had her top surgery done but because she hadn't gotten her bottom surgery done, she was put in a men's prison.

So that's a possibility too.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Account Closed

Straight, gay, trans ...married??? I'm confused!!! ��