Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:00 PM
His Honey Bunz

Default Parole-Denied: Does it help to obtain a parole attorney?

My husband was denied his first time up for parole under the Palestine board and itís very hurtful and confusing. I know the nature of the offense he committed was a violent one and they just sent him a letter thanking him for completing everything they asked of him yet you deny him because he had 5 cases in his whole 10 yrs, an unsatisfactory period of previous supervision and because of the nature of his crime. He isnít the same person he was 10 yrs ago. I just donít understand. Does it help to obtain a parole attorney because if thatís what we have to do then weíll do it.
Firebrand (08-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,519 Times in 12,967 Posts

Talk to some parole attorneys and see what they have to say. The underlying crime, plus what they have done while in prison, good or bad, is always considered by the parole board.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:08 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,496 Times in 1,435 Posts

I've been through much the same as your loved one. I'm on parole for a robbery and being given a set off the first time up is something that I always try to brace myself for. The first time up is the first time up. If those 5 cases are major case then.....well....thats gotta stop. Major cases are a killer in between review dates or while waiting for an answer from parole. Parole Attorney.....you get what you pay for. They are not miracle workers, but....they can make a difference. Don't be discouraged, dear. Have faith. I know that it's easy for me to say that out here while he's in there, but......I know. I've been there and more than once.
richellehiswife (08-10-2019)
Old 08-09-2019, 05:32 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,331 Posts

I'm sorry. I know it sucks to get your hopes up and have them dashed. Just remember...it was his first time up! Considering he's been in before and messed up on parole AND caught cases...chances were slim. Every time hereafter increases the odds.

You can look into parole attorneys. It seems like you get what you pay for. The cheap ones will basically just make a parole packet full of things you send them...something you can do yourself and doesnt really show any mitigating circumstances.

The good ones do research into his case and go in front of the board and put together work you can't.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 AM
His Honey Bunz

Thank yíall so much. Iím going to contact a few parole attorneys and see if I can consult with them about his case. This process is new to us and we thought he had a good chance of coming home but it was his first review. He wasnít supposed to be reviewed until September and they did his review a whole month early. We did send in a parole packet and will continue to send support letters. Heís only had 2 major cases the other 3 were minor. The last major case he got was a fluke to say the least. He was moved to Beto unit in December of 2017, at the trusty camp working at the hog barn. They had been over working him and others and he was asleep during a count time and they tried to make it seem as if he was on something, which he wasnít. They threw him in the back of a van and moved him to solitary confinement for almost 2 months while waiting for a bed and gave him a case for disturbing the count. iPO that he saw said this case was unusual and nothing like any of the cases he had ever received but thatís a whole other topic and discussion. Iím guessing itís a good thing we only got a year set off but with the denial reasons they gave, I donít see how they think a year is going to change any of that. I feel like they are still viewing him as the person he was 10 years ago and not who he has become.
WeepingWillow (08-11-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 04:20 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

'They threw him in the back of a van and moved him to solitary confinement for almost 2 months while waiting for a bed and gave him a case for disturbing the count.'

No, dear......that's not likely to have been a 'I fell asleep at the wheel and now they're being mean to me" situation. He picked up another case for disturbing count while housed in AD Seg and all he has to do is sit there and chill out for awhile. You don't spend 2 months in solitary confinement. That's.....hmm...13 days max.....something like that? AD Seg is different. Yes.....you can spend 2 months or 2 years in AD Seg. What's the difference? Solitary is a part of the punishment you receive for a major case that involves a single man cell, no property in that time with the exception of a bible or legal materials (I think?). They can't keep someone in Solitary Confinement for anymore than a few weeks....that's federal law. AD Seg is permanent housing for the time being beyond any type of disciplinary action that he may have went to for refusing to be housed with another race, a confirmed gang member who is deemed a security threat or.....I don't know.....most often it has to do refusing to be housed with someone of another race.
And if he has those kinds of issues along with controlling his temper during count time then, I don't know.....They don't take someone who is an S-2 or outside trustee that Classification has gone to the trouble of granting that line class and privilege to and then put them through what you've described of his situation simply because he fell asleep at work. There's more to it than that. I've been an S-2 and from time to time you will see men fall asleep on occasion. It happens, but irregardless of the outcome, it's unlikely he went to Solitary Confinement for 2 months over something that minor.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:31 AM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
'They threw him in the back of a van and moved him to solitary confinement for almost 2 months while waiting for a bed and gave him a case for disturbing the count.'

No, dear......that's not likely to have been a 'I fell asleep at the wheel and now they're being mean to me" situation. He picked up another case for disturbing count while housed in AD Seg and all he has to do is sit there and chill out for awhile. You don't spend 2 months in solitary confinement. That's.....hmm...13 days max.....something like that? AD Seg is different. Yes.....you can spend 2 months or 2 years in AD Seg. What's the difference? Solitary is a part of the punishment you receive for a major case that involves a single man cell, no property in that time with the exception of a bible or legal materials (I think?). They can't keep someone in Solitary Confinement for anymore than a few weeks....that's federal law. AD Seg is permanent housing for the time being beyond any type of disciplinary action that he may have went to for refusing to be housed with another race, a confirmed gang member who is deemed a security threat or.....I don't know.....most often it has to do refusing to be housed with someone of another race.
And if he has those kinds of issues along with controlling his temper during count time then, I don't know.....They don't take someone who is an S-2 or outside trustee that Classification has gone to the trouble of granting that line class and privilege to and then put them through what you've described of his situation simply because he fell asleep at work. There's more to it than that. I've been an S-2 and from time to time you will see men fall asleep on occasion. It happens, but irregardless of the outcome, it's unlikely he went to Solitary Confinement for 2 months over something that minor.
Trust me I know what I’m talking about and have the paperwork to prove it. This shows you how messed up the system really is. No he did not pick up another case, that’s what they wrote him up for which is why the IPO asked him to explain the case because it didn’t make sense, it was unusual from his other cases he had received. Even after receiving the case for disturbing count, the warden said to my husband “boy you were smoking that stuff?” and the guard told him that wasn’t what his case was for, he was written up for disturbing the count. He was not caught with anything on him and if they would’ve tested him, he would’ve been clean. Keep in mind they did not give him a case for what they thought he was doing because they had no evidence. When he was moved off of that trusty camp, it was a case for disturbing the count, and was labeled as a major case when it should’ve been minor. He was held in a cell by himself (solitary confinement) until they were able to get him a bed, it wasn’t because he was refusing anything. He served his 45 days for his major case in solitary confinement. They weren’t supposed to keep him back there that long like that but they did and there is a list of other problems we have encountered while he’s been in custody of tdcj and we have all of that documented as well. The same day my husband was hauled off in a van from the camp a Caucasian inmate was found with actual contraband, a lighter and he went untouched and was never disciplined for his actions...
Old 08-11-2019, 11:12 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Well.......I know that it's hard, dear. I don't mean to upset you anymore than you already have been. You've been put through enough of that. Sometimes, that's the hard part of the situation concerning prison....the you're on the outside looking in. Beto is a tough place to do time. It's been that way for as long as I can remember and it's that way now. Try not to stress over it too much. Things will smooth out in time, they always do when we let them. One day this will be just a memory...a thing of the past. Until then, we're doing what we can one day at a time as best we can.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:48 PM
His Honey Bunz

Thank you for that and yes itís very stressful. I feel like we have a problem often at this unit, just had one this morning but Iím over it. Iím just going to let God have his way and fix it because I canít.
Firebrand (08-11-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richellehiswife View Post
Thank y’all so much. I’m going to contact a few parole attorneys and see if I can consult with them about his case. This process is new to us and we thought he had a good chance of coming home but it was his first review. He wasn’t supposed to be reviewed until September and they did his review a whole month early. We did send in a parole packet and will continue to send support letters. He’s only had 2 major cases the other 3 were minor. The last major case he got was a fluke to say the least. He was moved to Beto unit in December of 2017, at the trusty camp working at the hog barn. They had been over working him and others and he was asleep during a count time and they tried to make it seem as if he was on something, which he wasn’t. They threw him in the back of a van and moved him to solitary confinement for almost 2 months while waiting for a bed and gave him a case for disturbing the count. iPO that he saw said this case was unusual and nothing like any of the cases he had ever received but that’s a whole other topic and discussion. I’m guessing it’s a good thing we only got a year set off but with the denial reasons they gave, I don’t see how they think a year is going to change any of that. I feel like they are still viewing him as the person he was 10 years ago and not who he has become.
I was there working the Hog Barn in December 2017....I'm trying to remember who this might be/ remember this situation. He would have been in my dorm as well. Which means I would have been there for this most likely... South Dorm right? In fact I remember the night that person got caught with the lighter and who it was ( he worked the hog barn too) if its the same night im thinking.

In fact, if this happened in the dayroom, then we had a couple days in a row were people had gotten "stuck" after smoking k2 right at count time at the 7:30-8:00 count and they got taken to the building. I dont know whether he was asleep or not, but they probably assumed he was doing the same thing as the others and ran that case as a major case since they didnt catch anything on him. They got a bad problem with that stuff over there so when they cant catch you with it, they try to get you in other ways.

Last edited by kwik00z28; 08-16-2019 at 10:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kwik00z28 For This Useful Post:
richellehiswife (08-21-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thank y’all so much. I’m going to contact a few parole attorneys and see if I can consult with them about his case. This process is new to us and we thought he had a good chance of coming home but it was his first review. He wasn’t supposed to be reviewed until September and they did his review a whole month early. We did send in a parole packet and will continue to send support letters. He’s only had 2 major cases the other 3 were minor. The last major case he got was a fluke to say the least. He was moved to Beto unit in December of 2017, at the trusty camp working at the hog barn. They had been over working him and others and he was asleep during a count time and they tried to make it seem as if he was on something, which he wasn’t. They threw him in the back of a van and moved him to solitary confinement for almost 2 months while waiting for a bed and gave him a case for disturbing the count. iPO that he saw said this case was unusual and nothing like any of the cases he had ever received but that’s a whole other topic and discussion. I’m guessing it’s a good thing we only got a year set off but with the denial reasons they gave, I don’t see how they think a year is going to change any of that. I feel like they are still viewing him as the person he was 10 years ago and not who he has become.
Do your research, but I hired Dale Heisch. He used to work in that Palestine IPO under Paul Kiel (parole commissioner whos still there). He's less expensive than most, but if you get a set off you have to re-hire him the next year for $1000. Mary Samaan is pretty good too- shes a little more expensive, but she stays with you and represents you again without charging you if i recall.

And I saw some really surprising results with Allen Place. He's pretty expensive, however he (along with family) meet with the lead voter in person where he does his presentation. And you have to hire him again (at a lower fee) if you get set off. I saw a guy make his second parole on a 25 year sentence for arson, get an FI-2 (did 4 years total). He set someones house on fire for not paying him for work he did on the house.

This was all in the Palestine parole region.

Also, something worth noting- they just replaced the highest approval voting member of the Palestine IPO (Hensarling 40%), with the lowest voting member of the entire state for the last 2 years (Wanda Saliagas 24%). So draw your own conclusions about what that means. A parole lawyer might not be a bad idea if you have the means.

Last edited by kwik00z28; 08-16-2019 at 10:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwik00z28 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (08-21-2019), richellehiswife (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik00z28 View Post
Do your research, but I hired Dale Heisch. He used to work in that Palestine IPO under Paul Kiel (parole commissioner whos still there). He's less expensive than most, but if you get a set off you have to re-hire him the next year for $1000. Mary Samaan is pretty good too- shes a little more expensive, but she stays with you and represents you again without charging you if i recall.

And I saw some really surprising results with Allen Place. He's pretty expensive, however he (along with family) meet with the lead voter in person where he does his presentation. And you have to hire him again (at a lower fee) if you get set off. I saw a guy make his second parole on a 25 year sentence for arson, get an FI-2 (did 4 years total). He set someones house on fire for not paying him for work he did on the house.

Also, something worth noting- they just replaced the highest approval voting member of the Palestine IPO (Hensarling 40%), with the lowest voting member of the entire state for the last 2 years (Wanda Saliagas 24%). So draw your own conclusions about what that means. A parole lawyer might not be a bad idea if you have the means.
Where did Mr. Hanserling go, Is he retired?
Old 08-21-2019, 02:30 PM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
I was there working the Hog Barn in December 2017....I'm trying to remember who this might be/ remember this situation. He would have been in my dorm as well. Which means I would have been there for this most likely... South Dorm right? In fact I remember the night that person got caught with the lighter and who it was ( he worked the hog barn too) if its the same night im thinking.

In fact, if this happened in the dayroom, then we had a couple days in a row were people had gotten "stuck" after smoking k2 right at count time at the 7:30-8:00 count and they got taken to the building. I dont know whether he was asleep or not, but they probably assumed he was doing the same thing as the others and ran that case as a major case since they didnt catch anything on him. They got a bad problem with that stuff over there so when they cant catch you with it, they try to get you in other ways.
Yeah that sounds about right it was South Dorm. My husband was transferred there in December of 2017. His case occurred in April of 2018 and he told me the same day the other guy was found with a lighter and was apparently in a restricted area but was never moved off the camp. He was still working the hog barn. Guys had been working straight with no days off for a while and my husband was tired and fell asleep he wasnít smoking anything, if they wouldíve tested him he wouldíve been clean and never found anything on him. We know how corrupt they are at Beto. We also know thereís a white America and a black America sad to say..
Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:

Iíll definitely do my research. It sounds like this may be our best option with the news of Hensarling being replaced.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmom2013 View Post
Where did Mr. Hanserling go, Is he retired?
Not sure. I just happened to look up the Palestine Parole Board webpage and saw that it had changed and updated as of 8/12
Old 08-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah that sounds about right it was South Dorm. My husband was transferred there in December of 2017. His case occurred in April of 2018 and he told me the same day the other guy was found with a lighter and was apparently in a restricted area but was never moved off the camp. He was still working the hog barn. Guys had been working straight with no days off for a while and my husband was tired and fell asleep he wasnít smoking anything, if they wouldíve tested him he wouldíve been clean and never found anything on him. We know how corrupt they are at Beto. We also know thereís a white America and a black America sad to say..
He was behind the dryer/washer (these are huge commercial machines you can hide behind). He claimed he had found it. They actually packed his stuff up and were ready to take him to the building but they apparently didnt have housing for him over on G wing (where they have to house trustys in the building). They still ran the case on him. Believe me though, they werent shy about taking white people or anyone to the building for any little thing if they thought you were smoking that stuff though.

I watched them put 3 white guys in the building because the drug K9 hit one one of their bunks (though they didnt find anything). When they came back for work they made them all take drug tests, and they came out clean. One of the guys popped off that the handlers dog "was trash" and they put all three in the building for next 3 months and under the pretense of "investigation".
Old 08-22-2019, 04:53 PM
His Honey Bunz

Quote:
He was behind the dryer/washer (these are huge commercial machines you can hide behind). He claimed he had found it. They actually packed his stuff up and were ready to take him to the building but they apparently didnt have housing for him over on G wing (where they have to house trustys in the building). They still ran the case on him. Believe me though, they werent shy about taking white people or anyone to the building for any little thing if they thought you were smoking that stuff though.

I watched them put 3 white guys in the building because the drug K9 hit one one of their bunks (though they didnt find anything). When they came back for work they made them all take drug tests, and they came out clean. One of the guys popped off that the handlers dog "was trash" and they put all three in the building for next 3 months and under the pretense of "investigation".
Hmm wish they wouldíve done the same for my husband. They didnít have housing for him either because he sat in solitary confinement for almost his entire restriction of 45 days. I went and saw him twice during that time and both times I visited he was brought out in handcuffs and we were supposed to have contact visits but instead he was behind the cage thatís how messed this case was and shows you f***d up they are. Iím going after TDCJ in any way that I can.