Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Round 2

Default ATTENTION: Truth in Sentencing questions

In this thread I am going to first post the link to the Truth in Sentencing explanation. I am also posting the link to the "Bill Watch" thread that can in fact "get rid of" TIS for non-violent offenders.

PLEASE read these threads BEFORE posting anymore questions. From here on out, I will remove ALL questions that these 2 threads have already answered. If there is more clarification that one needs, post it in this thread.

I absolutely appreciate all your cooperation in this. This forum is beginning to get cluttered w/ the very same questions that have already been answered.

The meaning of TIS

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=36662

Bills introduced

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146400

Stacy
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 PM
His forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacysWar030
In this thread I am going to first post the link to the Truth in Sentencing explanation. I am also posting the link to the "Bill Watch" thread that can in fact "get rid of" TIS for non-violent offenders.

PLEASE read these threads BEFORE posting anymore questions. From here on out, I will remove ALL questions that these 2 threads have already answered. If there is more clarification that one needs, post it in this thread.

I absolutely appreciate all your cooperation in this. This forum is beginning to get cluttered w/ the very same questions that have already been answered.

The meaning of TIS

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...threadid=36662

Bills introduced

http://prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146400

Stacy
To my understanding the TIS law applies to all offenders, both violent and non-violent, am i mistaken? Also to my understanding these new bills will give "Good time Credit" to both non-violent and violent offenders. I have read all bills and there is nothing stating that this will only apply to non-violent offenders. Maybe i'm not understanding all the legal blah blahs but it is not distinct in only stating non-violent offenders. All offenders, Right?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:08 PM
His forever

Again sorry. The TIS law clearing states that it is for Assultive crimes. Which is great for me and my husband.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:13 PM
His forever

Also sorry again, but after my conversation with Mr Cushinberry's Secretary that if the HB 5129,5130,5131,and 5224 pass it will apply to all offenders, not just non-violent. When TIS 1st came out it applied to all offenders and if it passes it will apply to all offenders men,women, violent,non-violent,sex offenders, all. Thats why its such a serious bill because it applies to all. Plus the fact that Van Rengenmorter is a hard nose and believes once a felon, always a felon..He doesn't believe in Rehabilitation.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Round 2

TIS applies to violent offenders starting in 1998, ALL offenders starting in 2000.

Go to the 2 nd thread listed & an explanation of the new introduced law will be there. Hope that clears up the confusion

To my understanding, the new introduced law will only apply to certain non-violent offenses. PLEASE remember, at this time, this law is only introduced. It has not been to vote yet.

Stacy
Old 01-23-2006, 10:28 AM

Exclamation Tis

Hey i'm new to this....my brother wanted me to register on here to see if i could find any information about TIS. Can anyone help? Any information about it is great! Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

There are a couple threads here in the Michigan forum that have info on TIS. As far as I know it is still in committee. We have a few ladies here on PTO in the Michigan forum that keep a pretty close watch on it. If you go to the threads in regard to TIS you can click on thelinks to actually see the bills. You can do a search to find all the threads on TIS. Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2006, 11:03 PM

its no wonder these bills are just sitting there when this mr.van rigenmorter has missed over 100 voting sessions and he chairs the judiciary committee,he's more like van rigimortis.He needs to be called upon to explain all his absences.As far as i'm concerned he's stole our money by not doing his job,we all know what would happen to us if we missed over 100 days of work.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:09 PM

So, what's up with this? Is Vanregmorten still leaving office? Has there been anymore discussion on this bill? Is it dead and we got all those signatures for nothing?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

There is several threads going in the legislative forum regarding TIS... this is an informational thread so please discuss the legislation in those threads. THANKS!
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 PM

R there any updates yet on the TIS bill???

Old 07-14-2007, 02:10 PM
You're worth the wait!

Default Truth in Sentencing Question..

I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any state that has had TIS and voted to repleal it. I have been trying to research this for a week or so and have not been able to find anything. Does anyone know if a state that perviously had TIS has ever voted to remove it?

Zevan
Old 07-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevan
I just wanted to know if anyone knew of any state that has had TIS and voted to repleal it. I have been trying to research this for a week or so and have not been able to find anything. Does anyone know if a state that perviously had TIS has ever voted to remove it?

Zevan
You may want to research Florida...lots of changes have been made in the last 20 years or so.
Here are a few things I found...

Quote:
Early Release Eliminated

...when in reality early release was eliminated in December 1994. Early release due to prison overcrowding began in February 1987 (to June 1988) in the form of Administrative Gain Time, evolving into Provisional Release Credits (July 1988-January 1991) and eventually Control Release (November 1990-December 1994). Control Release, the last early release mechanism tied to prison overcrowding, was eliminated in December 1994.

Basic Gain Time Eliminated

Basic Gain time was eliminated for any offender committing a crime on or after January 1, 1994. Basic Gain Time (unearned gain time) reduced inmates sentences by one-third upon entering the prison system. Today, some inmates are eligible for up to 25 days a month off their sentences, but they must earn the days off monthly by working or attending classes, and maintaining good behavior.

Inmates Today Serve 85% of Sentences

Inmates who committed their crimes on or after October 1, 1995 must serve at least 85% of their sentences. These inmates can earn up to 10 days per month served of gain time; however, their sentence will not be reduced to less than 85%.
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/survey/time.html
And here is our current statute...

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...944/Sec275.HTM
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 AM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

Anyone heard anything new? Rumors are going around the prisons again, at least up at Kinross.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 AM

Unfortunately, just a rumor. It's very popular at the beginning of the year and October (budget time).
Old 01-07-2008, 07:49 PM

Post any thing new on tis

anything on tis or goodtime yet
Old 01-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad52112
anything on tis or goodtime yet
Don't know how true it is but was told by hubby at Straits CF that there are postings stating the good time will be reinstated. Visiting this weekend will see if I can get more info if it exist.

saginmi
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 PM

WENT TO SEE hubby today and he told me that all the front pages of the detroit press had been removed guess there is somthing on it that they dont want them to know about anybody heard anything i thought its kinda weird they can do this but i guess they can do as they wish
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

LOL there is NOTHING happening with the goodtime bills. Condino the last sponsor has even stated that nothing will happen with goodtime in the near future and if and when it does, it will still be tied to TIS
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM

ok does anybody know what was on the front page that doc didnt want them to see
Old 01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Account Closed

front page of what the doc did not want them to see
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Awaiting hubby's release

**** This was found on: June 17, 2009 on the actual website of these Bills that everyone has been waiting for****

House Bill 4262 & 4263 (Revise prison time off for good behavior )
•Introduced by Rep. George Cushingberry (D) on February 13, 2007, to revise provisions giving prisoners good behavior “credits” that are considered at parole hearings, and recalculate the release and parole eligibility dates accordingly. This would allow earlier releases for some prisoners, within the context of Michigan's "truth in sentencing" laws.
◦Referred to the House Judiciary Committee on February 13, 2007, where the bill remains. In other words, there has been no further action on the bill since it was referred to this committee. Whether a committee takes up a bill is at the discretion of the committee chair, in this case Rep. Paul Condino, D-Southfield.

Display Legislation - Michigan Votes

2007 House Bill 4263 (Revise prison time off for good behavior )
•Introduced by Rep. George Cushingberry (D) on February 13, 2007, to eliminate provisions establishing prison time requirements for a prisoner subject to disciplinary time imposed by the parole board for major misconduct.
◦Referred to the House Judiciary Committee on February 13, 2007.

2007 House Bill 4263 (Revise prison time off for good behavior ) - Michigan Votes

Last edited by inmateswife; 06-17-2009 at 12:50 PM..
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Awaiting hubby's release

****This wasfounf on: June 17, 2009 on the same website s the "Good Time" Revisement****

House Bill 4272 (Expand "boot camp" prison alternative )
•Introduced by Rep. Paul Condino (D) on February 14, 2007, to eliminate a prohibition on allowing someone convicted of a crime for a second time to be placed in a special alternative incarceration program ("boot camp" type program). The program is sometimes required as a condition of probation, where the alternative is commitment to a real prison.
◦Referred to the House Judiciary Committee on February 14, 2007.
■Reported in the House on March 21, 2007, without amendment and with the recommendation that the bill pass.
•Passed in the House (104 to 5) on March 22, 2007. [Vote Details and Comments]
•Received in the Senate on March 27, 2007.
◦Referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee on March 27, 2007.

2007 House Bill 4272 (Expand "boot camp" prison alternative ) - Michigan Votes

Last edited by inmateswife; 06-17-2009 at 12:51 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Crawlin thru the wreckage

The new law applies to assaultive crimes committed on or after Dec. 15, 1998, and all other crimes committed on or after Dec. 15, 2000. (Took this from MDOC website).

Here's my question: My husband was tried and sentenced in 2007. Otis shows his crime as taking place 01/01/98, which is not exactly accurate. He is serving time for several charges for the same crime which took place over a period of years, beginning in 1997, although he was never accused until 2007.

So, does TIS apply in this instance?

Last edited by ExtremeCaution; 06-28-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Correct sentence for clarity
Old 09-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdag View Post
its no wonder these bills are just sitting there when this mr.van rigenmorter has missed over 100 voting sessions and he chairs the judiciary committee,he's more like van rigimortis.He needs to be called upon to explain all his absences.As far as i'm concerned he's stole our money by not doing his job,we all know what would happen to us if we missed over 100 days of work.

Rep Mark Meadows is in charge of the Judiciary Committee now..