Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 05-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Default Genesee County Board of Commissioners chooses highest bid on jail phone rates

County Commissioners reportedly will choose SBC-Ameritech as their contract carrier for Genesee County jails, despite that the calls will be more expensive for prisoners families.

They will receive a $333,000 contract signing bonus and will receive an estimated $1.1 million for the county each year.

Commissioner Floyd Clack of Flint was the only one who was against the contract. He stated, "its the biggest government rip off of poor people. We take the poorest people in jail and charge them (the highest rates."

Board Chairman, Richard Hammel said he understands Clack's point but is ready to approve the contract aand thinks other board members will too. Hammel said, "With prisoners, there's not a lot of sympathy."
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Donation Award 

This appeared in the letters to editor section of the Flint Journal:
Shouldn't make profit
I am writing in regard to the Genesee County Jail phone service. I do not understand why the county has to make money from this service, especially when this greatly increases the charges for these calls. Why should the person receiving the call be penalized? Often they are people of reduced income. If there is a cost to the county by providing these phones, I think that should be covered; but I don't see why a profit should be made in such an excesive amount. Harriet M. Alger, Flint

The Flint Journal over the years has printed articles and letters on the phone system for both the county and state facilities. I think they support our side. They have come out and said that even though we have the numbers we don't complain. I have run into this time and again with families afraid to make waves because the fear of retaliation towards their family/friend in prison and fear of losing visitation. Well hey, if we are all together and all making a bunch of noise believe me it's too much work for them to fight us all. So make noise. We have a lot of voting power. Make your state rep. know that. Write, e-mail, and fax the newspapers and lets make our voices known.
Flint Journal:
Mail
"Your Views"
The Flint Journal
200 E. First Street
Flint, Michigan 48502-1925
fax: (810)767-7518
e-mail: letters@flintjournal.com
Talk Back810)767-2274 selection TALK (8255)
e-mail-talk back: talkback@flintjournal.com
For talk back you do not have to give your name, but you do need to tell them your city or township. Letters to editor you do need to give full name, address and a phone number where you can be reached.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Thanks mabear. I just e-mailed talk-back....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanks, I will be emailing also!

mrs. d
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!