Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 05-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Donation Award 

Default dumb law

MICHIGAN PROVING ONCE AGAIN THAT THEY WOULD PREFER TO JUST BUILD A WALL AROUND AND MAKE IT JUST ONE BIG PRISON!!! WE WANNA BE NUMBER 1!!!!!

3 moves in year could spur probe of child's welfare under proposal

State Rep. Brenda Clack, D-Flint, wants to expand Michigan's child protection law to include educational neglect' by parents. Protective Services would investigate a family if a parent moved three or more times in one year.

Flint - Parents who move too frequently could lose their children under a proposed three-strikes law.

Michigan's child protection law would be expanded to include "educational neglect" under a proposal being written by state Rep. Brenda Clack, D-Flint.

It would spark a Protective Services investigation into the family if school records show a child changes addresses more than three times in one year, she said.

"Parents must be concerned about their children's future and progress in school and not their own personal concerns," said Clack, a former teacher. "A system that allows parents to fail their kids deserves a flunking grade - not the child."

Movement is common in the Flint School District, where 2001 statistics showed that four out of 10 students finished that school year in a different school than they started.

Wilkins Elementary School and Lowell (now Johnson) Accelerated Academics Academy ended the year with almost all completely different students than the ones with whom they started. Statistically, they had more than 100 percent turnover because some students left more than once.

"I do see that happening," said Audrey Coleman, who has children attending Potter Elementary School and Whittier Middle School. "I can see where it would be a big problem, but how well could the state regulate it? It's one thing making a law and another backing it up."

A spokeswoman for the Family Independence Agency, which oversees Protective Services, said it is too soon to comment on the proposal until the exact language of the bill could be reviewed.

"Any time that you have a lack of stability, you are going to negatively impact the learning process," said John McCoy, director of pupil and personnel services for Flint schools. "If it goes into effect and is properly enforced, it could have a positive effect on kids' learning."

Missed school days also would warrant an investigation, Clack said. However, the exact number of days has not yet been determined.

"For our population, which is fairly transient, it might help them when they obtain permanent housing to stay there," said Anne Grantner, program administrator for the Shelter of Flint. "The child will have more stability. It may actually have a good impact."

The Shelter of Flint serves about 1,200 parents and children a year and actively works to keep children in their home schools. The No. 1 reason people cite for homelessness when they arrive at the shelter is the lack of safe, affordable housing, said Gary Haggart, development director.

"My belief is families are moving because they have no other choice," said Jerry Johnson, executive director of Priority Children, a Flint-based advocacy group. "It's pretty obvious the issue of poverty is probably the main issue here, not just mobility."

Johnson said he would like to see the measure focus on getting assistance to struggling families rather than punishing them for the circumstances poverty creates.

Clack is a member of the House Education and Family and Children Services committees, which would likely debate the bill first.

Say are we not in a budget crisis and isn't FIA already so overburdened that they can't deal with what they have now?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2003, 09:28 PM

Hey you got a good idea let's tear down all the prisons in Michigan and build one big wall so no one can get out, the only problem is I moved up here because the job situation was better than in Florida, well that's gone to the dogs to and the sad thing is we are the ones that have to pay the taxes out of each and every paycheck to afford them not letting people out of prison, so we are paying for them to keep our loved ones in there, at least we can be assured that if they make Michigan the prison state we will no some one loves us that is already in the system, the only thing is everybody will want to send their prisoners here to
Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

This is sick! Many parents move more than 3 times per year and it's not just homeless folks. Construction and other folks are transferreed place to place due to job location. Some of these move their families with them and especially if their single parent families....

Take the kids away? Who the hell does the state think they are? And if kids miss too much school? Who determines that? What about the circumstances for why a child misses???

I'm sorry this angers, frustrates and worries me...

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-02-2003, 04:45 PM

Child Protective Services can't keep track of the kids in their care now. So they want to add more? And where would they go? Maybe the state will build orphanages for the kids and more prisons for the parents? Imagine that budget. That makes me think of Oliver Twist.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Round 2

Here's what's ignorrant about this law: It's NOT ok to move more than 3 times in a year, even if there is a completely lagitimate reason to do so. The child or children in the home don't show any signs of abuse or neglect and NOTHING but love is surrounding this child. Yet they say it is damaging to the child to be moved alot. SO here let's take these children out their natural safe environments and put them with foster care people, who the child does NOT know, has NO bond, and completely loses their sense of security, and TRUST in the people around to take care of them. (which are no longer around). Now from my understanding, when a child is placed in foster care, don't they get moved alot from home to home there? HMMMM. Sounds to me some freakin idiot just wants to make things more difficult for the "good" mom's and dad's out there providing for their babies. The freakin CPS can't even keep up with the case loads they have now and the really abused children and neglected children are dieing because of this, so here let's just come up with more cases for them and take away the rights of the good parents. What a concept>>>>.IDIOTS!!!!! Not to mention take more time away from the cases that REALY DO need investigating!!!!!
Wow we relly have some rocket scientist running our system!!!!

Stacy
Old 05-08-2003, 09:40 AM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

What about parental rights? What about our rights as individuals and families to move for career transfers or WHATEVER. Does the government have the right to tell us how many times we can move? What the hell.....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 05-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Donation Award 

Oh, I can't even believe this one.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

I think Ms. Clack should spend more time trying to help clean up FLINT than punish parents for moving often. My daughter has friends who live in Flint. When they walk their children to the bus stop they have to get a group and one or more parents walk ahead to pick up needles, condoms and other "items" out of the way so the kids dont' see them.

This mobile home park is surrounded by a by the hour motel and several strip bars. The residents there work hard to keep out the low lifes, make a safe play area for their kids and keep their park a decent place to live...until they can find other affordable housing - but a lot of the time, there is no other housing available to them.

Most of these people are hard working decent people, but they don't have the income to move and in unsteady economics, they don't feel they can quit their lower paying jobs for an uncertain future. They are caught up in a no win situation and obviously our politicians JUST DON'T GET IT.

MRS. D
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:49 PM
~BELIEVE~7-10-06~
Donation Award 

I CALL THESE PEOPLE "DESK PEOPLE". THEY INVENT ALL THESE NEW LAWS AND RULES FROM THEIR DESKS AND NEVER INVESTIGATE WHAT THEY ARE CREATING. THEY LOOK AT PILES OF PAPERWORK OF STATISTICS AND NUMBERS AND ETC. (WHICH MAY OR MAY NOT BE CORRECT) BUT THEY GO AFTER REAL PEOPLE WHO THEY DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT OR KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR SITUATIONS/ENVIRONMENTS. MORE MONEY IS WASTED BECAUSE THEY LOOKED AT A PIECE OF PAPER ON THEIR DESKS AND THEN THEY NEVER LEAVE THEIR DESKS PERIOD!! THE MONEY THAT IS WASTED CAN FEED A POOR FAMILY WITH "CHILDREN!!!" THE BEST MEALS THEY EVER HAVE HAD, PAY THEIR ELECTRIC BILL SO THEY CAN BE WARM, PAY THEIR RENT SO THEY CAN HAVE A ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS, AND GIVE THEM HEALTH INSURANCE SO THAT WHEN THEY ARE SICK, THEY CAN RECEIVE THE ASSISTANCE THEY NEED!!! I HAVE THIS THING ABOUT DESK PEOPLE AND THE MONEY THAT IS WASTED BECAUSE THERE IS STILL "CHILDREN" IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN THAT LIVE IN POVERTY EVERY FRICKIN DAY!! AND THAT IS SOOOO SAD!