Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 02-19-2003, 07:13 PM

Default CO to be charged

I was looking through the paper the other day and came across an article about a correction officer in Marquette Michigan. He was charged with two counts of open murder. the two victums were also correction officers. They all worked at Alger Maxium Security Prison. It involved a female and male who were dating and so far appears that the suspecthad an infatuation for the female officer. They were in separate vehicles when they drove to the womens house. The suspect followed them. He shot them both using a 30-30. You can read more about the situatuion if you like at www.miningjournal.net. The article was dated 2-17-3.
I wonder how the prisoners are towards correction officers who are incarcerated. Are they decent if the ex officer was fair? I'm sure it's not put out as public knowledge that this guy was an officer but he will surely come across guys he overseen and they will spread the word and needless to say the officers where he shipped to will talk. Kinda interesting, I'll have to ask my sweetie about that.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:17 PM

This would be interesting to see...

A copkiller gets respect, but a CO who's a murderer...

I would think that their job would take precedence over their crime...but who knows, maybe the crime would take precedence.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Closed

I would think a CO would have a harder time in prison then a cop really. Prisoners see them daily where they see cops as seldom as possible. There are good CO's and bad ones though and I suppose its all whether he was respected or not. I would imagine word will get around quick enough and if he was a power tripper CO Im sure it will be hell on earth for him in the future. Well his picture is in the article, so you know, things get around. I know in Canada they would put a prisoner like that in protective custody in most cases, do they in Michigan ?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

most likely he will be put into protective custody....

I think I'll keep up on this one!!! It will be curious to see how it is all handled!!

Mrs. D
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

In Michigan it's left up to the person if they want to go into protective custody or not. In protective custody--they are put in with others who are in the "hole" and visits are behind glass and an hour every Wednesday morning. They also do not get much yard time etc...in their cell pretty much 23 hours a day. A lot choose not to go there and try to be "incognito" or do the best they can to develop friendships etc... quickly.....

Deb

September 10th 2009