Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Questions, questions, questions Re: Juvenile offences and parole

Can anyone tell me if my son's juvenile offenses will count against him while he is in TDC or when he goes before the parole board?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 PM

I can tell you from experience that it does hurt their case. When my grandson had his IPO interview his juvenile record was the first thing they brought up. He was 18 when first going into TDCJ, so everything was still fresh.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 AM

yes it does hurt the inmate during review
Old 11-04-2006, 06:44 AM

Thanked 11,108 Times in 6,008 Posts

Much of the question is predicated on whether the agency knows about them. If they were discussed when he first entered TDCJ custody and was interviewed by the Classification Intake staff, then they are there in full view for the Board to consider.

There is adverse scoring on some of the risk assessments for any arrest prior to the age of 17 and additional ticks that are assessed if the conduct would be a felony if committed as an adult.

The approach in cases where there is a juvenile history followed by incarceration prior to the age of 21 is to basically plead "young dumb and stupid" and demonstrate the manner in which the maturity has come while incarcerated. Conduct committed at the age of 15, 18 or 20 is not necessarily the rule to be expected at 25, 30 or later in life, but you have to be able to show that. One of the best ways to do so is to get them enrolled in college programming as soon as possible...a 22yo offender (as an example) pursuing college programming (probably at their own cost but maybe with a grant) shows the Board that they are looking forward with some semblance of a goal to their life.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:07 AM

the parole board has again given my husband another 2yr set off b/c of past criminal history even though he entered tdcj at 17yrs old. He now has been there over 12yrs flat,little edu., renounced sgt. and lil resources for help. I am desperate to find any help available to help him get out of there for some petty charge he admitted guilt of when he was a child.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanked 11,108 Times in 6,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttopjenn29
the parole board has again given my husband another 2yr set off b/c of past criminal history even though he entered tdcj at 17yrs old. He now has been there over 12yrs flat,little edu., renounced sgt. and lil resources for help. I am desperate to find any help available to help him get out of there for some petty charge he admitted guilt of when he was a child.
Petty charge and 12 years served do not go together. And if there was history prior to getting the TDCJ time at age 17...well, we are not dealing with a first time offender in that case.

However, reading between the other lines, it sounds as though he was his own worst enemy once he got to TDCJ...the STG tag is also indicative of a disciplinary history and current placement in AdSeg. And if he is still in Seg, have you determined where he is on the GRAD waiting list? If not, why not. Have you even confirmed that he has completed the two-year investigation period and regained his SAT IV? Just because someone says "I'm out" does not mean they are cleared for GRAD. I have seen more than one offender that claimed to have disassociated but kept communicating with non-renounced members that had been released from TDCJ. Every time they do that, it kicks the investigation out.

There is more to this picture than has been allowed in your dissatisfaction with the Board's decision...