Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts
Default Vote Smart in November! (And register to vote)

I'm urging everyone who is eligible to register to vote in the November election! I received the following notice, which I want to pass on.

November 2006: What's at Stake?

A Democratic victory on 07 November 2006, wherein, Democrats take over the House of Representatives would mean that Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (MI) would become the new Chairman of The House Committee on the Judiciary , unseating Rep. Sensenbrenner (WI); and Rep. Robert Scott (VA) would become the new Chairman of the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security, unseating Rep. Howard Coble, (NC). This would be huge, as both Conyers and Scott are FedCURE Congressional sponsors and cosponsors of H.R. 3072 (Federal Parole Bill) and H.R. 1704 (The Second Chance Act). Please vote smart in November!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Donation Award 

For those who are not registered....but interested, time is running short!

Here is a link that will list the deadlines for each state! As well as linking you to information on how to register.

http://www.governmentguide.com/govsi..._deadlines.asp
Old 10-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,419 Posts
Default good reminder

today's the last day to register in Florida
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 PM

I CAN'T WAIT TO VOTE!!!!!!

More than ever I am looking forward to casting my vote! Can you hear my heart piter-pattering!
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Some Guy

Ya know, i've always been a pretty firm libertarian.

I will admit, however, that on issues of individual culpability, I do have a marked conservative bend. If you have 5 kids and cannot afford to feed them, it isn't "society's" problem, it's yours. If you hold up a liquor store, I don't care if you were raised in a fatherless household. So was I, and I didn't hold up any liquor stores.

With that said, everyone makes mistakes in this life (to varying degrees of significance) and EVERYONE deserves forgiveness in time. This whole "life sentence" that is attendant with a conviction is bullshit, and needs to be remedied.

I do believe that the Republican party could entirely and wholelly capture this issue (and every vote that comes with it) by simply thinking it through and being just as strident about forgiveness and rehabilitation of good people who maybe made a poor decision as they are about fabricating endless streams of laws that serve no purpose other than to incarcerate. It makes me so sad that the people who tend to support prison and judicial reform are also so far away from everything else I believe in; nevetheless, I shall vote on this one issue, for the rest of my life and if they don't want my vote, then they won't get it.

Last edited by MightGoMightNot; 10-10-2006 at 09:16 PM..
Old 10-10-2006, 10:35 PM

Though I would like nothing more than to see a bill regarding federal parole passed I wouldn't cast my vote solely on this issue alone and surely you must realize that though a different party would be in power it would likely take votes from both parties to actually get a bill such as this passed.
IMHO.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 AM
wandering into the sunset

Default the voting jinx

I too am eagerly looking forward to voting, despite the fact that every candidate that I voted for in the primary managed to lose (and not just lose... they got creamed almost as badly as Buffalo Bills were when they played the powerhouse known as the Chicago Bears!!!).
Unfortunately, people I vote for usually do manage to lose, and it has been suggested to me that I try voting for candidates that I don't like! I haven't tried that yet, though.
)
m.m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiniongirl
I CAN'T WAIT TO VOTE!!!!!!

More than ever I am looking forward to casting my vote! Can you hear my heart piter-pattering!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

Rrthrock - Yes, it would take members of both parties to vote for the bills and pass them. But right now, the bills are not even being given a vote in Congress - they're languishing in subcommittees headed by Republicans. Everyone has to decide which issues are most important to them and vote accordingly. The state of our prisons and federal sentencing laws is a high priority for me because I see all the generations that it affects - not just the prisoners but their children too. The money spent on building more prisons could be spent on treatment programs, schools, environmental protections, and all kinds of productive endeavors that would, in turn, help our economy and society. Z.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq
today's the last day to register in Florida
I missed it by one day!!! I am not a happy camper here.. but I will be registered for every other one that comes down the line. Believe me I am not please that Crist (Bush Jr) got in the Governers seat...

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

Old 11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Donation Award 

Off topic...I know I shouldn't!

But...I love your siggy!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
FOREVER

Question links to vote for the HR 3072 Bill

Hello from Michigan

how is everyone doing. I am sure that most of you have already signed this petition for the HR 3072 bill, but for those you have not please read and signed it yet. You must hurry. I have spoken with Lt. Garry Jones, he told me that we only have until March 2007 for this bill to be passed then it will get assigned a new number and we all we have to start all over again. Here is some links below to read and vote. I have a sample letter for Honorable John Conyers (MI) and for Mr. Robert Scott (VA) I only have the mailing address below for John Conyers, you will need to find Mr. Scott on one of the links below. Please pass this one to everyone you know. i am in the process of making flyer to put up at my job, landary mat, party stores whenever you have permission do it. do it quickly we must get the word out there so that our loved ones can come home

Dear _______________:

I ( your name ) am writing to ask you to continue your co-sponsorship of HR 3072, a bill To Revive The System Of Parole For Federal Prisoners. As a current sponsor, I ask that you, as the new Chariman of the Judiciary Committee, break the long-standing Republican roadblocks of this important legislation. The bill makes fiscal, social and moral sense. Most of the prisoners in federal custody are non-violent drug offenders. It is illogical to spend tax dollars on long imprisonment when other means have proven far more effective in solving the social problems of drug abuse and addiction. State leaders across the U.S. are moving ahead on their own to reform failed sentencing, drug, and parole policies.

Enactment of HR 3072 would provide prisoners with an incentive to maintain exemplary behavior in prison. A humane philosophy of earned, early release would foster incentives toward cooperation, study, and learning skills that would begin creating a safer environment for staff and prisoners alike, not to mention a more successful re-entry.

With hope for the future, and families reuniting earlier, the impact and social costs of incarceration would be lessened. High costs of imprisonment -- more than $10 billion annually for nonviolent drug offenders alone- could be dramatically reduced. Inhumane prison overcrowding would be relieved, along with the immediate need to build expensive, additional prisons.

Please co-sponsor HR 3072 to build a safer society by promoting rehabilitation, shorter incarceration times for deserving prisoners, and more appropriate use of public funds to strengthen effective social programs.

Sincerely,

(Your name, complete address, phone and email address )

Mail to Honorable John Conyers, Jr.

669 Federal Building

231 W. Lafayette

Detroit, MI 48226

(313) 961-5670

(313) 226-2085 Fax Or

Email to: John.Conyers@mail.house.gov

Everyone and anyone needs to write this letter. Can add to it and just simply put your own word into it. Just get the message out there and have as many letters going to Mr. Conyers.

http://www.november.org/parole/sign.html

http://www.advocate4justice.org/art/bannerheader.jpg

Federal Parole Bill Introduced! - 109th Congress, 1st Session: HR 3072: To Revive The System Of Parole For Federal Prisoners, And For Other Purposes. Introduced in the House by Rep. Danny Davis (D-IL), 6/27/05; Co-Sponsored by Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 9/29/2005; Rep Conyers, John, Jr. [MI-14] - 9/21/2005; Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] - 9/21/2005; Rep Jackson, Jesse L., Jr. [IL-2] - 12/7/2005, Rep Lewis, John [GA-5] - 12/7/2005; Rep Thompson, Bennie G. [MS-2] - 12/8/2005; Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 12/8/2005; Rep Moore, Gwen [WI-4] - 12/14/2005; Rep Owens, Major R. [NY-11] - 2/8/2006; Rep McKinney, Cynthia A. [GA-4] - 2/8/2006; Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 3/1/2006 Find Their Phone Numbers Here! --

Write Your U.S. Representative at www.house.gov/writerep --

To find who your Representative is, visit www.vote-smart.org

http://www.november.org/projects/cam...t/clemency.jpg

NEW! Download the Advocate 4 Justice Parole Packet here! (PDF Format)

Tell your U.S. Representative to Support Federal Parole Download the
Advocate 4 Justice Flyer here (PDF Format) Cops And Harm Reduction Hotties, Oh My! from In These Times (US), 11/14/05 Movie: Advocate 4 Justice at The Congressional Black Caucus Conference; September 23, 2005, Washington, DC (QuickTime Format) -- New Pictures: Advocate 4 Justice at The Congressional Black Caucus Conference

Advocate 4 Justice: Mission Statement
Advocate 4 Justice seeks the reinstatement of parole in Federal Prisons. As an advocate, I'm standing up and speaking out on behalf of the thousands of prisoners who have been affected by mandatory and guideline sentencing. My goals include educating the public on the racial disparity in drug sentencing policies, as well as educating the public on how to change the laws that govern imprisonment.

Message from Lt. Garry L. Jones, Advocate 4 Justice
During my career as a Correctional Officer, I would often ask myself the question: Why is the largest percentage of inmates black, when blacks in the United States are only 13% of the population? Why is prison so black when 80% of people in this country are white?

While employed with the State of North Carolina as a Case Manager, I was responsible for reviewing and adhering to judges' orders pertaining to inmate programs. It appeared that judges were more lenient on white defendants. The case files on people of color revealed harsher sentences -- especially when drugs were involved.

When I became an employee of the Federal Bureau of Prisons in 1991, I found the same racial disparity, and in the late 1980s, parole was abolished. I began to have serious questions about our drug sentencing policy: powder cocaine, crack cocaine -- what's the difference? Is racial disparity built into these bad laws? When I retired in 2003, it became obvious that there had to be a way to advocate for justice for all people.

Today, I am that advocate who is standing up and speaking out on behalf of thousands of prisoners who have been affected by mandatory guideline sentencing. I hope you will join our growing network of others working to end drug war injustice.

Contact me at: advocate4justice2004@yahoo.com

Old 11-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Banned

I can vote. But, I chose not too. The Dems got it anyway.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,419 Posts

Thanks goodness lots of people do participate in the democratic process, that is the point after all.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered

If you choose not to vote.... you get what you deserve.

Keep the Faith

Michael

"You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow"
Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintml2u
Off topic...I know I shouldn't!

But...I love your siggy!
okay.... now not sure if its me you are talking to but it was easy to do just write it in the font you want and copy it into the siggy box and wala you have it..

Now to not be off topic to much, with Crist in the Gov' chair you all think he will let the guys vote once they get out... seems he shook alot of hands and asked for their vote and they told him they couldn't vote in the state of FL because they had been in prison.... he was not pleased as he was finding alot of them that gave the same answer!

OHMYGOSH I GOT GEORGE'S PICTURE IN... <HAPPY DANCE HERE>

Always and Forever
Deborah & George

My George is Home
March 1, 2012

Last edited by or-mtwt; 11-13-2006 at 12:23 PM..