Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Default New user needs info - can felons write to other felons

I made a big mistake this summer and along with that I had a pretty bad run of luck. I am being charged with introducing contraband into a prison which is a felony. My incarcerated friend was moved to a higher security prison because of (our) actions. I have not received my sentence yet, but if I am convicted of a felon, will I be able to write or call him? Do I have to apply to be on a mail list? I wish that I could apologize for the pain I have caused us both and let him know that I am praying for him.
Any ideas? He is now at Centennial. Are there members here who could tell me about how it is there? Many thanks for your help in this troubled time.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

No way...you will be denied all contact with him. No mail, no calls, no visits. They will also deny him contact with you when he's released on parole...you can go to prison if you violate your probation by having contact with him and he can end up in Ad Seg if he tries to contact you...so I hate to say this but you really are pretty much screwed. Please don't make matters worse for both you, there's a reason why they prosecute people for bringing contraband into a correctional facility. Call this a life lesson learned...and if he talked you into it, I would say no one is worth my freedom for ANY reason. Call yourself better off, if your freedom meant nothing to him.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Mmm. Well, thanks, I guess. It's obviously not what I wanted to hear...what about before I'm sentenced. Any chance a letter of apology could go through? Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh to you. You will get him into more trouble if you try to contact him. I would also bet that the DA is keeping an eye out for communication between the two of you and could very well use it against you at sentencing. You haven't said if he knew about it or not, but DOC always goes by the assumption that he talked you into it. They also tape all phone calls and read all mail. So once they caught you, they went back and looked at all of his calls and mail to see if they could find anything to use against him. There's a good chance they will charge him with state charges that will give him more time than he already has. He may also already be in Ad Seg which is 23 hour lockdown every day. He will not get any time off of his sentence either until he's re-classified and that won't be for at least 6 months.

Even if you were to attempt communication, they would not give it to him...so it would be a waste of time to try. Honestly the people who really deserve the apology are the people who have to continuously deal with the harsh visiting rules that come from people who try to bring in contraband. Having someone in prison sucks enough as it is without having to deal with all the BS visiting rules that come about because of this kind of stuff.

If he asked you to bring in whatever it was he knew he was taking a chance that he would get caught. He prolly already knows the drill and you should prolly spend your sentence staying away from him and getting on with your life. It would be the best thing all the way around.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:27 PM

It's OK. Everything has sounded harsh lately. I just appreciate your help in this very scary and uncertain time. I just don't have anybody to sound off to - now, maybe all of you at PTO - but can't help wish it could be him. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

I'm sorry I sound and feel like a mother scolding her child. Everyone is allowed to make mistakes, the point is to learn from them. I know this no communication and not knowing is very difficult. I think really you should take care of you...he's not going to obviously...and he's really done something to you without caring that it would affect you for the rest of your life. It's one thing to support someone and something totally different to commit a crime for them. You are at the fork in the road. Only you can make the decision to choose the right way to go. I'm of the belief that everyone deserves to be treated better...and you are certainly part of that collective.