Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-2009, 02:45 AM
mongsauer mongsauer is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Iowa US
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default My message of hope for ex felons

Below is an excerpt from my first post on PTO


-----------------------------------
It is SO VERY POSSIBLE for you to make it. You just have to find the right career. And do you know what that career is??? Web programming! At my work, there is an ex-felon who did federal time on drug related charges. Being that he's an ex-felon he can't vote or own firearms or anything like that, but he got into web programming, and now he makes BANK! Just earlier this year (before I started at my current job) I was a web freelancer. I lived in Iowa, and the company I freelanced for was located in Kansas. It wasn't a huge company, but he had a steady flow of work, and I was making $25 an hour. I found his post on craigslist, responded to it, showed him some links to my work, and just like that I had a good job. I also know of another ex-felon who makes good money doing web programming. The company I work for currently hires out freelancers all the time, and as long as you can do the work, they are willing to pay you. I don't think they even do background checks for freelancers since you will be "self employed"! And you're probably thinking that you have to be a genius to program a computer.... FALSE. Just like basketball, or singing, or fixing a car, computer programming is a skill that grows the more you practice. I graduated high school with a 2.0 barely. I was pursuing a career in criminal justice. Programming was something that I found interesting, it grew on me, and now I make good money doing it. I don't want to pretend to be able to relate with your situation, because I've never gotten more than a speeding ticket. But I encourage you to at least give it a little thought. If you work hard, I PROMISE you that within 3 years ( and you can do it in less... I did ) you can be making good money doing something that can be very fun. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with the next myspace! Do you think someone's going to turn you away if you come up with something like that?!?! Good luck, and please ask me any questions you may have.

--------------------------

I would also like to add a question to this post. I think it would be very rewarding and interesting to teach a beginning programming class in a prison. I know that in some prisons ( forgive me if I sound naive... I get my knowledge about prison from MSNBC Lockup so I may not know the whole story ) like I was saying I know that in some prisons the inmates get opportunities to further their education. Get GED's, some even going to college. But I would imagine that you have to pay for the college courses. Do you think there would be interest among inmates in taking a course in computer programming? The only way I became good at programming is through lots and lots of reading, and inmates pass a lot of their time reading anyways. I bet.... I KNOW an inmate could spend a year or 2 in prison, study hard and come out and make BANK. Completely serious. Just throwing the topic out there for the first time because this is something I have really thought about doing over the past few months.

Last edited by mongsauer; 02-16-2009 at 02:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Patu Patu is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Smile

Wow Mong,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongsauer View Post
It is SO VERY POSSIBLE for you to make it. You just have to find the right career. And do you know what that career is??? Web programming! At my work, there is an ex-felon who did federal time on drug related charges. Being that he's an ex-felon he can't vote or own firearms or anything like that, but he got into web programming, and now he makes BANK! Just earlier this year (before I started at my current job) I was a web freelancer. I lived in Iowa, and the company I freelanced for was located in Kansas. It wasn't a huge company, but he had a steady flow of work, and I was making $25 an hour. I found his post on craigslist, responded to it, showed him some links to my work, and just like that I had a good job. I also know of another ex-felon who makes good money doing web programming. The company I work for currently hires out freelancers all the time, and as long as you can do the work, they are willing to pay you. I don't think they even do background checks for freelancers since you will be "self employed"! And you're probably thinking that you have to be a genius to program a computer.... FALSE. Just like basketball, or singing, or fixing a car, computer programming is a skill that grows the more you practice. I graduated high school with a 2.0 barely. I was pursuing a career in criminal justice. Programming was something that I found interesting, it grew on me, and now I make good money doing it. I don't want to pretend to be able to relate with your situation, because I've never gotten more than a speeding ticket. But I encourage you to at least give it a little thought. If you work hard, I PROMISE you that within 3 years ( and you can do it in less... I did ) you can be making good money doing something that can be very fun. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with the next myspace! Do you think someone's going to turn you away if you come up with something like that?!?! Good luck, and please ask me any questions you may have.

That's awesome.

Thankyou for sharing that. You inspire me. I know some basic html & have taught myself. I'm also wanting to learn php script coding but find coding in general quite mind boggling & incomprehensible.

May I ask what type of web programming you've learnt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongsauer View Post
I would also like to add a question to this post. I think it would be very rewarding and interesting to teach a beginning programming class in a prison. I know that in some prisons ( forgive me if I sound naive... I get my knowledge about prison from MSNBC Lockup so I may not know the whole story ) like I was saying I know that in some prisons the inmates get opportunities to further their education. Get GED's, some even going to college. But I would imagine that you have to pay for the college courses. Do you think there would be interest among inmates in taking a course in computer programming? The only way I became good at programming is through lots and lots of reading, and inmates pass a lot of their time reading anyways. I bet.... I KNOW an inmate could spend a year or 2 in prison, study hard and come out and make BANK. Completely serious. Just throwing the topic out there for the first time because this is something I have really thought about doing over the past few months.
& in response to teaching programming to inmates? Yep I think that's a great idea. Getting the systems there in the US of A & here in NZ to agree to it is a different kettle of fish.

Keep up the good work & looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Patu
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM
tia240's Avatar
tia240 tia240 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 82
Thanks: 40
Thanked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default Inspirational - thanks for sharing :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongsauer View Post
Below is an excerpt from my first post on PTO


-----------------------------------
It is SO VERY POSSIBLE for you to make it. You just have to find the right career. And do you know what that career is??? Web programming! At my work, there is an ex-felon who did federal time on drug related charges. Being that he's an ex-felon he can't vote or own firearms or anything like that, but he got into web programming, and now he makes BANK! Just earlier this year (before I started at my current job) I was a web freelancer. I lived in Iowa, and the company I freelanced for was located in Kansas. It wasn't a huge company, but he had a steady flow of work, and I was making $25 an hour. I found his post on craigslist, responded to it, showed him some links to my work, and just like that I had a good job. I also know of another ex-felon who makes good money doing web programming. The company I work for currently hires out freelancers all the time, and as long as you can do the work, they are willing to pay you. I don't think they even do background checks for freelancers since you will be "self employed"! And you're probably thinking that you have to be a genius to program a computer.... FALSE. Just like basketball, or singing, or fixing a car, computer programming is a skill that grows the more you practice. I graduated high school with a 2.0 barely. I was pursuing a career in criminal justice. Programming was something that I found interesting, it grew on me, and now I make good money doing it. I don't want to pretend to be able to relate with your situation, because I've never gotten more than a speeding ticket. But I encourage you to at least give it a little thought. If you work hard, I PROMISE you that within 3 years ( and you can do it in less... I did ) you can be making good money doing something that can be very fun. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with the next myspace! Do you think someone's going to turn you away if you come up with something like that?!?! Good luck, and please ask me any questions you may have.

--------------------------

I would also like to add a question to this post. I think it would be very rewarding and interesting to teach a beginning programming class in a prison. I know that in some prisons ( forgive me if I sound naive... I get my knowledge about prison from MSNBC Lockup so I may not know the whole story ) like I was saying I know that in some prisons the inmates get opportunities to further their education. Get GED's, some even going to college. But I would imagine that you have to pay for the college courses. Do you think there would be interest among inmates in taking a course in computer programming? The only way I became good at programming is through lots and lots of reading, and inmates pass a lot of their time reading anyways. I bet.... I KNOW an inmate could spend a year or 2 in prison, study hard and come out and make BANK. Completely serious. Just throwing the topic out there for the first time because this is something I have really thought about doing over the past few months.
================================================== ====
Inspirational Mongsauer thank you so much for sharing. I will go to the library tomorrow and get informations on classes for programming. Did you get a Bachelor's degree in web design/programming? What kind of qualifications do you need to be a "web freelancer"? Thanks again, for your support and encouragement
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics