Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM

Red face New here/GDC employee

Hi!
I'm new here. I don't have any family in the system, nor have I ever been. I do work for the department though (can't tell you where but it is in Georgia). I wanted to join to help ya'll understand why we do some of what we do. I'm not here to bash ya'll or your loved one AT ALL!!!! I just wanted to lend ya'll a helping hand. While I can't imagine what you or your loved on is going through, I can say that I've been with the system long enough to try and see things through the guys eyes. I also think understanding what ya'll are going through will help me do my job better, which is taking care of your loved ones!
If ya'll don't want me here, I understand. But I would like to help. With anything. Probation, Parole, missing thier date...crappy living environments, crappy food, what class they are taking...anything ya'll.
So, nice to meet ya'll! Hope to talk with you real soon.
Allison

Hopefullly I can help those on the outside, understand what's happening on our side as well as their loved one's side!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gdchfd For This Useful Post:
A's Precious (10-24-2008), AMG2009 (02-24-2009), Catoneswife (05-21-2009), chaljo4 (10-24-2008), holley5316 (03-20-2009), jansman12 (12-31-2008), Kiddo117 (03-20-2009), pp00qq (06-17-2009), TheMissus (07-14-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Well to PTO. I am sure that your insight will be valuable.

-Sai Baba
Old 10-20-2008, 01:02 PM
faith walker

Welcome
Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Donation Award 

welcome to the ga forum, gdchfd. your interest in helping/understanding is appreciated.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,649 Posts

Welcome to PTO!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Donation Award 

Welcome Allison. Thanks for taking the time to register and extend yourself to us.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Welcome to PTO. You will be invaluable here. I have a contact at DOC who sometimes is able to answer questions but she is not really familiar with the system but I have come to really count on her when I need to try to find out something. It is great to find someone who works for DOC who is willing to help whenever and in whatever way possible because we come across so many who really could care less about what we want/need.
The Following User Says Thank You to antswifey For This Useful Post:
Texasrangers423 (09-27-2014)
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM

welcome to pto and the ga forums... i would love to hear your insight on certain topics... namely the release process and procedures... my fiance will max out on 10/31 and all i know is i need to be down there by 7:30 so i can take his clothes... i have started a thread inquiring about this before but any and all help you can provide will be greatly apprieciated...

*i dont know if it makes a difference or not but he is in baldwin*

Thanks

Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 PM
aka klyn and I hate Ga

Welcome to PTO and the Ga forums any insite is very Welcomed
Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Closed

Welcome to PTO. Come on in...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,536 Times in 3,575 Posts

We are a diverse community at PTO and welcome your knowledge.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM
~Love Is NEVER A Mistake~

~Welcome!~
Old 10-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Donation Award 

welcome
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 PM

Thanked 1,499 Times in 584 Posts

Welcome,,first,,no second ?,,is the food ,,meals,,cutbacks going to go on indefinitely,,and special visitations hours,,oh and what about the early releases before the end of the year,,,thanks so much for the help,,we for the most part just go round in circles trying to find out info,,thank you,,moma k
Old 10-21-2008, 06:45 AM

Alright, Kurtsbabygirl....releases are pretty facility specific. Generally they like to wait until after that 8:00, 8:30 count. The family here brings clothes and come in like they are going to visitation to drop everything off. The counselors and cares officers should take care of the rest!
Moma K...your question is harder!!! I work at a smaller facility so we don't have special visitation hours. I don't know if that was a step to try and save $$ or what. We are carrying on as usual, so I would imagine those special hours could lift at any time...then again, they could put us on that too. They are sometimes shifty about stuff in Atl. When you ask about the food, are you referring to the friday thing? They are getting only two meals on Fridays just like Sat and Sun. This is another effort to save the state money, without having to cut employess that are already terribly short. They are also trying to aviod putting us on madatory furlow once/twice a month. The reasoning is that no details are worked on Fridays, just like weekends, therefore since they are literally laying around in the dorms (we have dorms here not cells) watching TV, they are less likely to NEED that middle meal. The state basically had to make a proposed 6%, 8%, and 10% budget cut plan...right now we're working on the 6%. Early releases are common around Christmas. Parole I guess gets a heavy heart and lets a lot of guys out...other than that...the parole board ya'll is HORRIBLE when it comes to communication with us. I mean seriously...ya'll talk with them more than we do!...so I don't know much about any other kind of early release. I know they are working on getting out some of those on the severe medical end...but I mean SEVERE. HTH...some!!!!

Hopefullly I can help those on the outside, understand what's happening on our side as well as their loved one's side!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Unhappy Why?

Do you know why it takes so long for P&P to give inmates a TPM my Fiance' has been incarcerated for 2 years and still no TPM. He has a 10 year sentence but 1/3 of the term in somewhere around 3 years 3 months and still nothing yet. No grid sheet no nothing. I kind of gives you false hope!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 01:46 PM

The courts and people at diagnostics are so misleading with this info. If you call the parole boards automated line it says :"This inmate is still under investigation and no decision has been made at this time. The inmate will be notified in writing (thats a GRID sheet) when the parole board has rendered its decision. Genreally the board makes a decision after the inmate has served 1/3 of his statutory sentence from the time they entered the state penal system." That's not a direct quote, I can't remember it exactally (can you tell I call it a lot!?). Anyway, what that means is that AFTER they do thier 1/3 is when the board starts looking at thier file. Sometimes they look sooner, but generally this is it. So if someone is serving 3 years. 1/3 is 1 year. On the month that one year is up, the board pulls the inmate's file and reviews it to score him out on the GRID. (under a two year scentence you dont' get a GRID, just a date) Unfortunately, either the courts have their info wrong or they just don't care. I have guys come in here all the time saying they're getting close to their 1/3 and don't know why they are still here. This is why. B/C some donkey has told them that they will be getting out. What's worse is parole is a priviledge, they might not get it so how can anyone look at someone and say oh hey you're gonna get out at 1/3 guaranteed. That's so freakin mean!!! These guys here hold on to any kind of hope you give them, and to give them false hope is so low! (Can you tell I don't like the courts or parole board!?) Anyway...where was I. Oh, and the 1/3 starts when you enter diagnostics...it doesn't include all that jail time credit! Well, it kinda does, but it's very hard to explain. But as a general rule, the PB doesn't factor in the jail time credit when they figure up their 1/3. So I hope that helps a little. Looks like you still have a little time before he gets that GRID. Tell him to stay as DR free as possible and if he has a drug offense to go ahead and get into Motivation for Change, b/c more than likely they will mandate him substance abuse. If he already has it before they do his grid it will look better to them. Let me know if you have any other questions!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gdchfd For This Useful Post:
confusedasusual (10-24-2008), MidniteTrain2GA (10-22-2008), mrs_craft (10-26-2008), peggylee (11-05-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 04:58 AM
Patience

I haven't been able to sign on in awhile but I welcome you to Prisontalk.com. I was wondering if you could tell me how long does it take for the cpu to update once a loved one is moved? My loved one is scheduled to go to the 1/2 way house at any moment and I hate the idea of driving over 200 miles just to be told he has been moved.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:59 AM

You know, I've never checked. You can always call the facilities counselor and ask them if he is still there (if his counselor can't come to the phone, a cares officer, shift supervisor, or lieutenant could help you with just that question. Moves are only done very early on Tuesday and Thursday mornings so, if you called Thursday afternoon they would know if he was going to be there for the weekend by then. Just remember no one is there on Fridays anymore! You could always call inmate classification in Atlanta. I'm not at work so unfortunately I can't give you their number.

The Following User Says Thank You to gdchfd For This Useful Post:
libra112 (10-24-2008)
Old 10-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Patience

Thanks for the info. I plan to visit this weekend so I will be calling of course before I go. Calhoun is not a skip & a hop away from where I live. Anyways I checked the system today & DOC has updated his picture. I hope that's a positive sign that he's on his way, he has been waiting.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Thanks again

I have already sent you a PM thanking you for being willing to assist and you have responded and I appreciate you doing so. So, along with the others thanks again. Libra--I used to work at Calhoun. Bless ya.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 AM
Patience

Well I went to see him this weekend. And yes he was still there. As always we had a very wonderful visit. I can't help but to wonder with DOC updating his pic and him supposedly leaving this month for transition housing (according to his counselor), that this was my last visit at Calhoun(maybe wishful thinking). He's been there 3yrs. with a release date in 04/09, do you guys think i'm wishing to hard?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:53 PM
but I'm not finished, !!!

Default 4 month 3 weeks 3 days left

how will we know the max out date is the true day. He got sentenced to 3 years he was already in for 1 year he had two left his time is winding down. Is the max possible date the truth?
and do you think if I call the warden or whomever that they can move him to a safer area, he has lots of dr's and he still is giving the officers the bussiness, but ther have him in an area where almost everyone has 1 life sentence or double life. Even his bunk mate has life no parole, how about that for classification.

I just don't trust Ga, and my son well he is an idiot, but he is learning, even yesterday he had to back down from a fight.......
I THINK THAT THIS IS A WONDERFUL THING YOU ARE DOING, IT IS AWESOME, I PRAY THAT YOU WILL BE BLESSED, AND I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO ALL THE GOOD YOU KNOW TO DO TO HELP OTHERS, IN THESE DAYS YOU CAN HARDLY GET A HELLO BACK FROM PEOPLE.
KEEP UP THE AWESOOME WORK.
TAKE CARE OF YOU
Old 11-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Vangee, If you call the prison they say its handled by classification dept. he has to be there a year and 6 months dr free. will all those dr s like you say than they think that he where he needs to be. look if you need to get hime moved just have him p.c.
hell have to sit in the hole awhile but they mi9ght ship him or state rep if you can through and their willing to help.. good luck
Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Some questions

I have been trying to get answers but have yet to. Maybe you can help. I have been sentenced to a Probation detention center for 90 days. The paper I was given was for Bleckley. Does anyone know about this place? This was my 1st violation. I am pretty scared. I have heard that they are closing DC's is this true? ANY information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. OH and are there anyother DC's for women in GA?