Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:50 AM

Exclamation IC Missouri to Iowa approved, but IA PO says halfway house in Missouri

i have an issue and could use any help and/or advise you may be able to give me. My girlfriend, was on probation here in Iowa, but her charges were for something her ex had gotten her into in missouri. Her probation officer, in Creston, violated her probation, the 1st week back in november. She was put in jail at his office and eventually sent to Bethany Mo. And a $50,000 cash only bond. A month after sent down there, she finally had court. We thought for a bond reduction. But instead the judge gave her "120 days shock treatment" prison in Vandellia. The release date is for April 7th. Her interstate compact has gone through. But now that probation officer dont want to accept her. He wants her in a halfway house in Missouri. Is there anything i can do, to get her back home in April. He told her mother he dont want her because he lost 2 clients to O. D. last year that were her age. I had her turning her life around for the better at the time he sent her to jail. Her ex has been in prison for the past year, and i am adimant about keeping her on the right path. I promised her grandpa who just passed away in January that id do my best with her for him. (He was basically her father, he raised her). I have never been in much trouble with the law, and dont even drink or smoke. And i know she has learned from this. I can tell over the phone. She hasnt seen any of us since. And on april 7th will be 160days since she has been home. Sorry its so much. But im at witts end with all of it and dont have a clue where to turn. Thanx. Now today the p.o. tells us he dont want her to come home cause he dont want her getting back with her ex who is in prison. So he wants her to stay in missouri at the prison/halfway house or we have to find her a place to live down there. Thing is that the ex, that the p.o. says he dont want her to be with, he paroles back home to missouri in a couple months. Wow? Everytime i get her away from that guy, he eventually would get out of jail, then her p.o. would put her in jail, losing what we were building on, and the ex would get her back by fuckin her head back up while she is in ther and he would get her back. This makes 3 times ive had to start over with her and regain all the guy would screw up when the p.o. sent her to jail. Now he wont let her come home and i guess she dont even get to go to court like was supposed to. How can they get away with this? What can her family and i do?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 AM

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,829 Posts

Sorry no idea's on what you can do she has to fight for her own stuff and as for her X she's the one who has to leave him behind nothing you do can help her with that.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,258 Times in 11,329 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. If her interstate compact transfer is approved, and wasn't cancelled when she got locked up this time, her current PO shouldn't have anything to say about it. Will any of her previous lawyers help? If so, that is the way to approach her PO.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 AM

Thanked 2,887 Times in 939 Posts

I’m confused... if she was “on the right path”, then why is she violating probation? Was IC approved before or after the violations? I’m guessing the decision can be reversed if she keeps getting into trouble.

I would advise you also to avoid placing the blame for her incarceration on the probation officer. He didn’t violate her probation, she did. Constantly deflecting the blame isn’t going to help her get better.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,049 Posts

That's what I was going to say. $50,000 cash only bond? That's pretty serious.

What did she do to violate?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Sorry no idea's on what you can do she has to fight for her own stuff and as for her X she's the one who has to leave him behind nothing you do can help her with that.
She has already decided to not have anything to do with him. But the p.o. wants us to leave her there in missouri and she nor us know anyone there. But if her ex paroles home to missouri where he is supposed to, how does this keep them apart like the p.o. says he wants. We and she are from Iowa. Where they have her is 6hours away from home. She is only supposed to be at WERDCC for 120day shock treatmenr then come hime. But this asshole wants to leave her down there and no return home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iowanightstalke For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanightstalke View Post
She has already decided to not have anything to do with him. But the p.o. wants us to leave her there in missouri and she nor us know anyone there. But if her ex paroles home to missouri where he is supposed to, how does this keep them apart like the p.o. says he wants. We and she are from Iowa. Where they have her is 6hours away from home. She is only supposed to be at WERDCC for 120day shock treatmenr then come hime. But this asshole wants to leave her down there and no return home.
As others have said what did she do to violate??? Not something good if bond was $50,000. like I said she needs to deal with her problems, you can't.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

The problem is, Interstate Compact is a privilege. Once you violate and blow it, the home state (where the crime was committed) tends to be very reluctant to approve out-of-state transfers again. So that's why they are wanting her to stay in Missouri post-release now.

How much longer does she have to go on probation? Once she's off-paper (through with probation), she can leave Missouri without needing their permission any longer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-12-2018), sidewalker (03-13-2018), xolady (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM

2 other times before now, her family and u have gotten her away from the ex. He has been to prison numerous times for theft, burglary and more. He waits foe elderly people to go to bes abd breaks into their houses cause as he says, they are old and cant hear to wake them up. People. He has been snitching and workibg for the cops for some time. What he does is not secret. They just turn a blind eye, this case has drawn out over 5years almost since he broke into the house they are in trouble for now. In the past 4 years we hav gotten her back from him time and time again when he would go to jail, but when he gets out everytime, he tells them shit and they will arrest her and try getting her to give him up too. But all it does is take her from us and he gets back in her head and she feels he is the only one who cares. He manipulates her and has burned her house down and she is scared he will harm her 3 kids if she dont do what he wants. Anyhow, he basically gets her back when her P.O. would have her put in jail when he would get out, telling her family and me its to keep them apart. Its how he gets her back. Each and everytime. She gets deppressed, misses her kids, and this guyknows it and manipulates her thinkingand as soon as she gots out theee he is and he is always packin his needles and meth. Im telling u people i know what the fuck is going on and i know how most of you think like sheep. But i have been living with this shit 4 years now of worrying if we are going to find her in a ditch or worse. This guy is so bad. But again if u think about it, a year ago the guy got locked up and finally sentenced on this almost 5year burglary charge, which he had her waiting on him a block away in a running car. But he gets out in 3months and has to go to his home state. Missouri. Ok, she went to drug treatment, i drove her there in october. We had been dealing with her grandpas cancer surgery, who was like her dad. And we stayed with him at the hospital until the p.o. made her go to treatment the same day as her grandpa was having his 2nd operation. But i took her. A week later her grandpa was taking a turn for the worst. She walked out of treatment to come see him. This is why the p.o. violated her and said missouri can deal with it. So nov.6 i took her to her meeting at his office. Her uncle and a mentally handicap family friend rode with us because it was on our way home from the hospital. The p.o. told her she was riding in a car full of men high on meth. I am not using anything. I do not drink or smoke either. Her uncle weighs 400-500lbs and we had a guy with mental problems. He was only one who exited the vehicle to smoke a ciggarette while we waited on her in a parking lot accross the street. I am a war vet and spent 10 years in army. Where is the respect that a veteran who took a bullet for this country, at when he is labeled by some p.o. who he has never met, and this is 5days before veterans day? Nice. Anyhow where did i say her ex., paroles to in a few months? Missouri. And now she is down there and has a release date of april 7th. But her p.o. says we have to find her a residence down there bin missouri or he will leav her at the prison because he dont want her coming home. Says its to keep them apart. I keep them apart. The last year they been apart. She dont want him. But if she cant come home, and he has to go there in 3 months, the dumb fuck is putting them together, obviously. Or why cant she come home to iowa where the ex cant be in after he paroles to mo. in 3 months? Get it yet? The p.o. keeps giving her and her mom different reasons she cant comve home when her treatment are over. She hasnt seen her kids or us since she went. And her granpa died a month and a half ago. And a week later her other grandpa died in omaha. Shouldnt she be allowed to come home? What more does she have to pay, the po sent her to mo. They say she is done april 7. But now the p.o. says the 120 day shock treatment isnt good enough for him. So he wants her to not come home and be with her family or even mourn the deaths or anything. Just give her to her ex so he can finish her off i guess. But if you people believe its for the best.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Interstate compact is approved. We were supposed to pick her up and bring her home april 7th. But on march 8, the po tells us. He wont accept her. And says he recomends us find her a home ther or he will leave her at the prison halfway house. Back in december at court, the judge said see u in 120days. Now i guess there isnt evrn a return to court then. And april 7 will be gone aleeady 160+ days. When she got there i had to come up with $500 or everything we sent, only $5 per mont would get to her account until the 500 was met. And the 500 had to be paid before she could come home april 7. So i paid it the 1st week she was ther. Her family and i have gone broke goin through all this. As for her lawyers, there are none. Pub. defendant was a legal advusor and all 11 people in the jail at court that day, she represented them all. All went to 120 shock treatment. All 11 of them, done by 11:30am that day. Seriously.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Iím confused... if she was ďon the right pathĒ, then why is she violating probation? Was IC approved before or after the violations? Iím guessing the decision can be reversed if she keeps getting into trouble.

I would advise you also to avoid placing the blame for her incarceration on the probation officer. He didnít violate her probation, she did. Constantly deflecting the blame isnít going to help her get better.
All i blame on him is he is a disrespectful pos. Labeling a veteran, a big guy, and a handicap guy as a car load of men on meth. When he seen them from his office window facing the sun and they were inside a car across the road in a parking lot. What does he have drug glasses? He was on more meth, if he thinks any of that. Maybe he needs treatment. Denial of his family and not allowed home.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

So it sounds like what you're saying is that Missouri P&P doesn't have a problem if she leaves the state, but Iowa isn't willing to take her any longer?

If that is the case, then it sounds like you only have two options: either find another state that will take her, or wait until she's off supervision in Missouri so she can travel without needing permission.

Because it sounds like Iowa P&P has already made up their mind. You could always try talking to a senior officer there at your local Iowa P&P field office, but if she's already violated once on Interstate Compact, they are probably going to be very reluctant to give her a second chance.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 PM

Interstate compact is aproved. Has been for a couple weeks. The only problem is the p.o. he is not being straight forewardm and more and more it seems he is tryng to get the opposite what he says he wants. I think he and the ex have something goin on we didnt know of. Cause he keeps putting them together when the courts want them appart. Probably job security. She benifits nothing. O and he 1st denied her saying because he lost 2 her age to overdose last year. So i guess he is punishing her for losing them. Who is blaming here?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

I agree, it sounds like Iowa P&P is being uncooperative. And some POs do set you up to fail.

But the only way to get her approved to transfer to Iowa (while she is still on probation/parole) is through their office. So unless you can speak to a senior supervising officer there in Iowa and plead your case, it sounds like she may be stuck in Missouri, at least until she tops her sentence out and is finally off-paper and can travel freely once again.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanked 10,694 Times in 5,843 Posts

It is unclear what qualifying family exists in Iowa. Boyfriend/girlfriend situations don't cut it.

Further, I am guessing that the froth and venom we see in this thread has ALSO been given towards agency personnel, which harms the effort.

Revocation actions do not occur in a vacuum. You simply don't get sanctioned with liberty loss because a PO doesn't like you. There is a hearing process with a wide array of due process balances that exist unless expressly waived by the releasee.

The $50K bond is not a huge flag here for me but that is because I routinely see jurisdictions that have used a half-million on a probation warrant. The Court wants to ensure that the individual facing prison actually shows up. That doesn't happen without skin in the game.

Oh, and in future posts, PLEASE use paragraphs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
joybubby (03-14-2018), safran (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 PM
attorney

Thanked 20,932 Times in 7,376 Posts

For reference - Creston, IA is a city of under 8000 people. p&P is pretty small. $50k is a fairly large bail for that area.

Iowa is in some financial trouble. This has hit small towns and small counties especially hard.

P&P is not going to be cool with somebody walking away from treatment for any reason. I'd assume that she didn't immediately go back to rehab after grampa's surgery, or if she did, rehab wouldn't accept her back because beds are at a premium in Iowa, and somebody who would walk away without getting an approved leave doesn't show the dedication to the rehab process that they wanted to see. If she was not controlling herself, they probably would not have given her a pass (assuming she applied for one), figuring that she needed the support of her program and the community to get through the wait for grampa to get out of surgery, especially if the news was bad.

Nobody's criticizing the OP, or denigrating his service to this nation. This is all about the woman on probation and parole. Nobody's treating him badly.

I suspect that there are a number of different stories given by the parolee to the OP for a reason.

oP needs to understand that IC needs to be approved by BOTH states. Either state can say no, and that's it. A yes from one state cannot trump the decision of a no state, but a no state can and does trump the decision of the yes state.

But, what do I know? I work in some similarly small areas where P&P has limited resources to utilize taking care of its parolees and probationers. When one parolee or probationer is utilizing an inordinate amount of a PO's time, and the PO and P&P office has an easy way of ditching that onerous drain on resources, they frequently do it. Further, with very small P&P offices, the supervisor is rarely going to overrule the rank and file. Heck, the PO may be the highest ranking member of the P&P office.

Now, the other alternative is to have an actual family member live in Des Moines, a much larger metropolis, and seek to have the supervision transferred there. Des Moines has a ton more resources and a lot more experience handling people who eat a bunch of resources, may have another bed available at an area rehab, and may be more willing to work with somebody who's already violated 3 times.

But, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not after 3 violations. Not with a $50k bond. Not after walking away from rehab (and taking a bed somebody else could have used with more determination to get through the program).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (03-12-2018), safran (03-12-2018), xolady (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 09:09 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

That's a good point, yourself.

Small towns can often times have only a few (or even just one) PO assigned to a given field office, so there may simply not be anyone higher up to appeal her case to locally.

Maybe trying to have her transfer to a bigger nearby city there in Iowa might open some doors that way if she can find a fresh set of eyes looking over her case... I notice Des Moines is only an hour away from Creston on Google Maps.

But I'm assuming they will have access to Creston's records, including the fact that she already violated there after being transferred in the first place. So it will be an uphill battle, to be sure.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:36 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,262 Times in 13,850 Posts

I'll just say that the op cant really do much.
If this woman cant stay away from her ex, I dont know what to say.
She has got to be the one to stay away.
All part of trying to recover.

Im sorry this is so frustrating for you. I understand it. But this really is HER fight.
I hope for everyone's sake she does what she is supposed to do, does her programming, stays away from drug users/dealers and gets her act together.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (03-13-2018), safran (03-13-2018), xolady (03-13-2018), yourself (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Parole Officer

OP, your posts are confusing and hard to read but:

If she had an approved plan, then the sending state can send her with out any issues. I'm thinking you're confusing the fact she did have an approved plan and when she was violated, IA closed the case and now she has to reapply.

Again, I'm sorry but your posts are to read, but you don't mention immediate family members (mom/dad) for her to release to. Not too mention the hard feelings between you and the PO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), safran (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Parole Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
That's a good point, yourself.

Small towns can often times have only a few (or even just one) PO assigned to a given field office, so there may simply not be anyone higher up to appeal her case to locally.

Maybe trying to have her transfer to a bigger nearby city there in Iowa might open some doors that way if she can find a fresh set of eyes looking over her case... I notice Des Moines is only an hour away from Creston on Google Maps.

But I'm assuming they will have access to Creston's records, including the fact that she already violated there after being transferred in the first place. So it will be an uphill battle, to be sure.
That's not how it works. You can't pick and choose cities of the receiving state. The offender must show some support in that area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), safran (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA CCO View Post
That's not how it works. You can't pick and choose cities of the receiving state. The offender must show some support in that area.
The suggestion was to have an actual family member live in Des Moines, and seek to have supervision transferred there.

But I agree, it would probably be a hard sell if it was just a boyfriend-girlfriend situation. I'm assuming most of her family lives there in Creston.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
The problem is, Interstate Compact is a privilege. Once you violate and blow it, the home state (where the crime was committed) tends to be very reluctant to approve out-of-state transfers again. So that's why they are wanting her to stay in Missouri post-release now.

How much longer does she have to go on probation? Once she's off-paper (through with probation), she can leave Missouri without needing their permission any longer.
5years
Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
For reference - Creston, IA is a city of under 8000 people. p&P is pretty small. $50k is a fairly large bail for that area.

Iowa is in some financial trouble. This has hit small towns and small counties especially hard.

P&P is not going to be cool with somebody walking away from treatment for any reason. I'd assume that she didn't immediately go back to rehab after grampa's surgery, or if she did, rehab wouldn't accept her back because beds are at a premium in Iowa, and somebody who would walk away without getting an approved leave doesn't show the dedication to the rehab process that they wanted to see. If she was not controlling herself, they probably would not have given her a pass (assuming she applied for one), figuring that she needed the support of her program and the community to get through the wait for grampa to get out of surgery, especially if the news was bad.

Nobody's criticizing the OP, or denigrating his service to this nation. This is all about the woman on probation and parole. Nobody's treating him badly.

I suspect that there are a number of different stories given by the parolee to the OP for a reason.

oP needs to understand that IC needs to be approved by BOTH states. Either state can say no, and that's it. A yes from one state cannot trump the decision of a no state, but a no state can and does trump the decision of the yes state.

But, what do I know? I work in some similarly small areas where P&P has limited resources to utilize taking care of its parolees and probationers. When one parolee or probationer is utilizing an inordinate amount of a PO's time, and the PO and P&P office has an easy way of ditching that onerous drain on resources, they frequently do it. Further, with very small P&P offices, the supervisor is rarely going to overrule the rank and file. Heck, the PO may be the highest ranking member of the P&P office.

Now, the other alternative is to have an actual family member live in Des Moines, a much larger metropolis, and seek to have the supervision transferred there. Des Moines has a ton more resources and a lot more experience handling people who eat a bunch of resources, may have another bed available at an area rehab, and may be more willing to work with somebody who's already violated 3 times.

But, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Not after 3 violations. Not with a $50k bond. Not after walking away from rehab (and taking a bed somebody else could have used with more determination to get through the program).
Her moms house is the one interstate compact has approved. Where she has lived for the past 15 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iowanightstalke For This Useful Post:
AR PCS (03-21-2018), fbopnomore (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post

Her moms house is the one interstate compact has approved. Where she has lived for the past 15 years. And this is 1 violation. The judge gave her 120 days treatment which her release date is april 7th. Then the po tells us she stays at the prison or we need to find her a house. Im gonna snap. This shit is so fuckin dumb.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,262 Times in 13,850 Posts

calm down Iowannightstalke

You wont be of any help if you lose it.
Again, I know this is frustrating, but getting so pissed off isnt going to help anyone.
Not her, you or her folks.

That's my dog's nose art