Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 03-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Worried Sick for my Son

This morning I got an e-mail from my son that was sent yesterday. A Sergeant was killed by an inmate a few weeks ago at the state prison where he is at. The e-mail was titled "The Aftermath". Due to the recent violence, the prison implemented some very harsh rules that will affect every part of every day for the inmates (and, I'm sure for the CO's).

My son said basically the inmates are talking about hunger and work strikes, gangs have gotten involved and anyone who shows up for their job is to be deemed a "snitch/cop" and will be stabbed to death. My son recently started a job in the kitchen and decided that his good attendance to work for the possibility of parole in 11 years, is NOT worth his life, and I would agree!

I'm horrified by so many things in the events that have unfolded there. First of all, I know that the inmate who killed the Sergeant had attacked other CO's at other prisons and should not have had access to any CO. I know from my son that particular Sergeant harassed that inmate for a week before the fight broke out. Let me say here, loud and clear, my son and I both agree the Sergeant did not deserve to die! My son did suggest that the COs take sensitivity training. Other security methods should be in place, if dealing with a lifer inmate who has been known to be violent with guards. Could this have been prevented? I think so.

All that said, I cried after reading the e-mail because I am terrified for my son. He won't go to day room, yard, or work now because he is afraid for his life. And I know, down the road, him not showing up for work will be held against him when he comes up for parole. My immediate concern is him making it to that day alive.

I haven't posted about my anxiety or fears for a while here, and I just needed to vent to all of you, you're the ones who understand this best.
Please say a prayer for my son and for me that we can get through this together. I had a visit planned for this coming weekend, but I think the prison may be on lockdown then

Tatonkawia
Lordbew/us (03-12-2018), tglsmom (03-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,742 Posts

Tatonkawia you and your son are in my thoughts! I know what it's like having a loved one in a facility when a CO gets killed and the weeks following can be very rough on both sides of the wire. Please remember to BREATH! And take care of yourself! Whether it's a walk to clear your mind or a long bath you have to do what you can to take care of yourself physically and mentally so you can be there for your son. (((BIG HUGS)))
SeekingJoy (03-13-2018), tatonkawia (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,955 Times in 11,666 Posts

I'm sorry for what happened, and is happening in your Son's prison. Hunger and work strikes will only cause the entire prison population to endure harsher, and longer punishments.

From what you posted, he is doing everything he can to stay safe, which gives him the best chance to do so. He will also have to decide how to act when the sanctions are removed. Gang retaliation is often a fact in prison, but if enough inmates return to their jobs after the lockdown, that will reduce the danger. He is his own (and probably only) best advocate, so he will decide what is best to do. Be sure to let him know that you trust his judgment, and you support his decision.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,000 Times in 7,069 Posts

Dear God, what a tough place to be in. At least your son seems to know what to do to keep himself in a safe place. I pray daily for all inmates. I will keep him there also AND you.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-12-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-12-2018), GaReform (03-12-2018), Lordbew/us (03-12-2018), SeekingJoy (03-13-2018), tatonkawia (03-12-2018), tglsmom (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:16 PM

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,240 Posts

I am so sorry, tatonkawia. As if we don't have enough to worry about when our kids are in prison, you now have this additional anxiety and fear. What a horrible position for your son to be in and how difficult it must be knowing that there isn't much you can do besides giving him your love and support. I hope this situation gets resolved soon and without any repercussions to your son or what he is trying to achieve. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
SeekingJoy (03-13-2018), tatonkawia (03-14-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,793 Posts

I am so sorry you guys are dealing with this. Its hard on a mom having a son in prison, worrying about his safety, but now with all this going on, I can't imagine. I'll keep you and your son in my prayers.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 PM

Thanked 1,481 Times in 594 Posts

Can your son talk with the chaplain about his concerns? Maybe then he will have someone to speak up if he doesn't report for his detail. His safety is most important. I doubt they would deny his parole over 1 missed detail in the case of extreme unrest but he should be able to write an explanation. Is there an Ombudsman for where he is? If so, maybe you could reach out to them for advice. I know how scary it can be & pray he will be safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
SeekingJoy (03-13-2018), sidewalker (03-13-2018), tatonkawia (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 05:44 PM

So sorry that you and your son are going through it, I know how it can be to be petrified and struck with terror and worry. Know that prayers of peace and protection for your son and peace for you and your family along with healing for you all including the Sergeant's family are coming from Texas, so sad for all, hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonkawia View Post
This morning I got an e-mail from my son that was sent yesterday. A Sergeant was killed by an inmate a few weeks ago at the state prison where he is at. The e-mail was titled "The Aftermath". Due to the recent violence, the prison implemented some very harsh rules that will affect every part of every day for the inmates (and, I'm sure for the CO's).

My son said basically the inmates are talking about hunger and work strikes, gangs have gotten involved and anyone who shows up for their job is to be deemed a "snitch/cop" and will be stabbed to death. My son recently started a job in the kitchen and decided that his good attendance to work for the possibility of parole in 11 years, is NOT worth his life, and I would agree!

I'm horrified by so many things in the events that have unfolded there. First of all, I know that the inmate who killed the Sergeant had attacked other CO's at other prisons and should not have had access to any CO. I know from my son that particular Sergeant harassed that inmate for a week before the fight broke out. Let me say here, loud and clear, my son and I both agree the Sergeant did not deserve to die! My son did suggest that the COs take sensitivity training. Other security methods should be in place, if dealing with a lifer inmate who has been known to be violent with guards. Could this have been prevented? I think so.

All that said, I cried after reading the e-mail because I am terrified for my son. He won't go to day room, yard, or work now because he is afraid for his life. And I know, down the road, him not showing up for work will be held against him when he comes up for parole. My immediate concern is him making it to that day alive.

I haven't posted about my anxiety or fears for a while here, and I just needed to vent to all of you, you're the ones who understand this best.
Please say a prayer for my son and for me that we can get through this together. I had a visit planned for this coming weekend, but I think the prison may be on lockdown then

Tatonkawia
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingJoy For This Useful Post:
tatonkawia (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Tatonkawia – I haven’t posted here for quite a while, but I remember you being so sympathetic to me when my daughter was incarcerated. What a horrible predicament for your son to find himself in through no fault of his own. My heart goes out to you both. Although I really can’t offer any practical advice I just want to say that both of you are in my prayers and I hope the situation is solved very soon without any harm to your son and the rest of the inmates in the prison.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), SeekingJoy (03-14-2018), tatonkawia (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 PM
Donation Award 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son Tatonkawia. This journey is hard enough for parent's without dealing with the actions of other inmates and/or Cos. My son is in one of the worst prisons in our state and they're on lockdown a lot. I truly understand the anxiety you are feeling. Things can and do change so quickly in prison from one day to the next. I am now learning tnis.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lackingthepower For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2018), SeekingJoy (03-14-2018), tatonkawia (03-14-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,961 Times in 6,338 Posts

May God comfort and bless all the inmates and families affected by this. May peace reign.
Hugs!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
SeekingJoy (03-16-2018), tatonkawia (03-16-2018), tglsmom (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Default Thank you and update

I heard from my son yesterday. The conversation was cut short, the COs called "Rec" and he had to get off the phone. BUT he is fine and was actually able to attend work yesterday. He said the "hunger" strike lasted 2 days then everyone got hungry lol. The inmates decided a better way to show solidarity is to boycott the commissary. I guess "money talks" kind of thing.

My son thinks the guards quashed any uprising before it could start, and the prison did NOT have to go on lock down, thank God. So I plan on visiting next weekend, I'll stay the night and come back in the morning for our second "breakfast" visit, which is something I used to do when visiting him alone. Its 8 hours of driving in one day for me if I don't stay, and with a 4 hour visit, it makes for a long day. I can't wait to see him!

Thank you to everyone who responded here, said prayers or offered hugs...you know it made me feel better just to read the comments! This can be a roller coaster ride at times, and it reminds me not to be complacent.

Tatonkawia
fbopnomore (03-16-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-16-2018), jancy (03-21-2018), Lackingthepower (03-20-2018), tglsmom (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:23 AM

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,240 Posts

So glad to hear that things have settled down and that your son is fine. What a relief for you. Enjoy your visit next weekend!
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
tatonkawia (03-17-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 AM

That is awesome, so glad for you and that your son is safe. Prayers do work, thank you God! Enjoy your visit with your son!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonkawia View Post
I heard from my son yesterday. The conversation was cut short, the COs called "Rec" and he had to get off the phone. BUT he is fine and was actually able to attend work yesterday. He said the "hunger" strike lasted 2 days then everyone got hungry lol. The inmates decided a better way to show solidarity is to boycott the commissary. I guess "money talks" kind of thing.

My son thinks the guards quashed any uprising before it could start, and the prison did NOT have to go on lock down, thank God. So I plan on visiting next weekend, I'll stay the night and come back in the morning for our second "breakfast" visit, which is something I used to do when visiting him alone. Its 8 hours of driving in one day for me if I don't stay, and with a 4 hour visit, it makes for a long day. I can't wait to see him!

Thank you to everyone who responded here, said prayers or offered hugs...you know it made me feel better just to read the comments! This can be a roller coaster ride at times, and it reminds me not to be complacent.

Tatonkawia
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekingJoy For This Useful Post:
jancy (03-21-2018), tatonkawia (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 05:53 PM

So pleased to come on here and read this. It must feel like a weight has been lifted off you. Have a great visit
The Following User Says Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
SeekingJoy (03-19-2018)