Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Default Info on USP Tucson

Hello-

My hubby has been in SHU at FCI Terre Haute for a little over a month. I got a letter Friday that he’s being transferred to USP Tucson. Idk why he’s being sent so far away, I assume because they want to punish him even more. Anyways, does anyone have any info on the facility? He said it’s a drop out yard like USP Terre Haute, which concerns me because they’re always locked down. He releases to halfway house in just over 100 days. I just want his last few months to be with minimal stress.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,672 Times in 13,051 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. Since he is leaving TH from the SHU, he will most likely be put in the SHU at USP Tucson.

USP Tucson isn't active enough to have its own PTO sub forum, but you can google "usp tucson prison talk" and then click on "More results from www.prisontalk.com" it will locate all of the archived posts about that prison.

It's great that the end of his sentence is near.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM

Why would he be placed in SHU at Tucson? He was under investigation. Nothing came of it and he didn’t receive a shot.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Many bop prisons place everyone who arrives from another SHU in theirs. I was also placed in two SHUs waiting for a general population bed to come open, but my post was about SHU to SHU. If Tucson doesn't do it, then he won't be automatically placed there.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:41 PM

I didn’t realize that. I assume he’ll have a stop over in OKC. He said he can call and email there? I’ve been checking the locator. TH usually does airlifts every other week so I’m hoping he flew out today!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bapeachy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM

My friend is in USP Tucson. It’s actually ok. They do get locked down but not very often. From what I know the security is very good as my friend said from all the prisons he has been in it’s the prison with the least drugs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
bapeachy (09-23-2019), fbopnomore (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 PM

How does mail work there? At TH it was just lined white paper. Nothing else. And they would photocopy greeting cards.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:08 PM

I don’t think they photocopy it but I just send letters in white envelopes. I haven’t tried anything else. But I think they are super strict when it comes to trying to stop drugs getting in so I would guess the mail room rules are also strict.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
bapeachy (09-30-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Many bop prisons place everyone who arrives from another SHU in theirs. I was also placed in two SHUs waiting for a general population bed to come open, but my post was about SHU to SHU. If Tucson doesn't do it, then he won't be automatically placed there.
He got to Tucson late Friday night. I’m assuming you’re correct on the SHU placement when he got there because I still haven’t heard from him. I called the prison and they wouldn’t tell me if he was in SHU or not. Idk why that info matters? I’m worried. I know he’s okay I just haven’t heard his voice since 8/15 the day he went to SHU in TH. Got a letter from Oklahoma and he was in SHU there. How long can they keep this up when his investigation is over, no disciplinary action and he’s been transferred? We’re under 90 days and I’m so ready to be free of the BOP and their bs. Any help would be awesome!!
fbopnomore (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The staff at Tucson will decide his housing status there. It is likely that he will be placed in a mainline cell if there is no lingering reason for him to be in the SHU, but it is still up to the whim of the warden. It may have already happened, and he just hasn't been activated on the phone computer yet.

bop bs never ends, in one form or another.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The staff at Tucson will decide his housing status there. It is likely that he will be placed in a mainline cell if there is no lingering reason for him to be in the SHU, but it is still up to the whim of the warden. It may have already happened, and he just hasn't been activated on the phone computer yet.

bop bs never ends, in one form or another.
I appreciate the quick response. If it’s like TH they’ll do SHU rounds tomorrow and hopefully they’ll kick him out if he’s in there. Idk why they couldn’t answer if he was in GP or SHU. Just a simple yes/no he’s in SHU. What if I wanted to visit? I may try later after shift change and see if that person will tell me. What do you think?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:51 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

For some reason known only to the bop, most prisons won't say when someone is in the SHU. In prisons that have different rules for SHU visits (different days, times, or TV-only visits) you can often figure it out by asking if he is allowed visits, and when.

The visitation regulations for each prison usually explain when SHU visits are handled differently from regular visits.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
For some reason known only to the bop, most prisons won't say when someone is in the SHU. In prisons that have different rules for SHU visits (different days, times, or TV-only visits) you can often figure it out by asking if he is allowed visits, and when.

The visitation regulations for each prison usually explain when SHU visits are handled differently from regular visits.

Did what you said...the front desk person said it would be a “unit team decision” if he was allowed visits. So I’m assuming he’s in SHU there?
fbopnomore (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

That sounds right. If he is in the SHU, the only contact you will have is through letters.