Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Exclamation Visit at FCI Peterburg Medium

I am going to be visiting my son at Petersburg Medium in July 2014. Information on where to stay (hotel), info about visiting- what to do/not to do, etc. would be very helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,648 Times in 13,033 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope someone who visited there will be able to advise you, I was only a visitee. The prison is located in Hopewell, and there are a number of hotels there and in Petersburg. The Medium is the new prison. The old one with the guard towers is the low. Be sure to check the visitor's rules for tips about bringing money for the vending machines. It is also smart to have a complete change of clothes handy to change into in case you somehow offend the visiting room COs. I hope you have a great visit.

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...isit_hours.pdf

http://www.bop.gov/inmates/visiting.jsp
Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Donation Award 

Default Hotels

As far as hotels go, I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Petersburg North - Fort Lee twice. It was very convenient to the prison, and it was perfectly fine, accommodation wise. I don't know if there is anything closer.
The Following User Says Thank You to FancyBoots For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-01-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 12:34 AM

hello, i am planning to visit a friend in FCI Petersburg Camp. can anyone tell me how that side of the FCI work with regards to visiting? Would the visiting area be the same with the inmates from the Low or is it separate place?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The camp entrance is across a small parking lot from the visiting room at the Low. Unfortunately, that's all I know about camp visitation at Petersburg.

When you enter the visitor's parking lot at the low, there is a small unoccupied guard shack, with a telephone, at the bottom of the hill leading up to the visiting room for Low security inmates and the camp itself (the buildings on the left). You will need to check in by phone, and the CO will advise you how to proceed from there. Enjoy your visit.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 06-11-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM

I think I'm going to be sent there for 24 months on a white collar crime what do I have to expect while I'm there. I'm a Hispanic male in his 30's that just wants to do his time and get the hell back to my family as soon as possible what do you recommend.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I spent years in both the low & medium security prisons there, and Petersburg was a very reasonable place to do time, at least in comparison to some of the others I was in. There are some difficult housing assignments in the Low, especially the dorms in Lee and Richmond, but for the most part the staff was pretty good. Minority races are in the majority there, but we all seemed to get along pretty well.

I don't know much about the camp except that it is very old, and not air conditioned, but the individual fans purchased from the commissary (low & camp; the medium is newer and does have AC) make a big difference.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Donation Award 

Just got a call from my friend who is in Petersburg Low - he said that Corrlinks has been unavailable there for most of today, so if you are not receiving emails, this might be why.
The Following User Says Thank You to FancyBoots For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-15-2014)
Old 01-15-2015, 04:16 PM
thankfuldave

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly29 View Post
Hey, there! My husband is in FCI Petersburg - Low. I can answer any questions for you.
I am self reporting to Petersburg low on the 27th. I hope your husband is out by now, but I was wondering if you or your husband can give any advice and input to my family? Thank you.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 AM

I just found out that my son was transferred to FCI Petersburg Medium from Fort Dix. I live in Ohio, so its still a long way to go. Anyone have any info about this place?
Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I spent a couple of years there, and it was a decent bop prison. It is air conditioned (the low isn't) and housing is all 2 (best) 3 (worst, a 3 high bed stuffed into a 2 man cell), or 4 man cells. Microwaves yes, but the housing unit washing machines were all removed.

It is a SOM (management) P prison, so there is a large number of SOs there, which is a good thing for SOs. The staff usually doesn't tolerate a lot of drama, but it still occurs occasionally. If he is interested in enrolling in the 18 month residential, faith based Life Connections Program, it is offered in the Low. What other questions do you have?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Fci petersburg

I spent a couple of years there, and it was a decent bop prison. It is air conditioned (the low isn't) and housing is all 2 (best) 3 (worst, a 3 high bed stuffed into a 2 man cell), or 4 man cells. Microwaves yes, but the housing unit washing machines were all removed.

It is a SOM (management) P prison, so there is a large number of SOs there, which is a good thing for SOs. The staff usually doesn't tolerate a lot of drama, but it still occurs occasionally. If he is interested in enrolling in the 18 month residential, faith based Life Connections Program, it is offered in the Low. What other questions do you have?

You have answered the important ones. Thank You. My son is in for CP and I was again, worried about his safety. So I can breathe a sigh of relief for now. Do they have access to CorrLinks? He only has 1 and a half years left, so this part of the journey is almost over, now to start preparing for the next step. Thanks again for your help!
The Following User Says Thank You to momofdrummer79 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I was not allowed to use corrlinks there, but it was a brand new addition to Petersburg at the time. Some wardens do permit it, but others don't. There were some haters there, the dirty white boys gang for sure, but the staff had no sympathy for their hating.

Threats or assaults resulted in a stay in the SHU, usually just long enough for a transfer to another prison, including to SMU (special management program) at USP Lewisburg, a truly awful place. It was widely known by the inmates, so tell him not to be afraid to bring any nastiness to the staff's attention, especially as his sentence winds down. Drama when someone got close to release did happen frequently. The way I avoided a last minute fight was when one of my friends fought the guy instead. Some other guys checked into the shu themselves for the last portion of their time. Fights, no matter who starts them, almost always result in a loss of earned good time for everyone who is involved.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Queen2hisKing

Hey I am new but not new to this. Can anyone tell me the criteria for getting married in FCI Petersburg.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. I know weddings did occur there, but the answers of how, and probably when, will have to come from his counselor or from the Chaplain. Best of luck.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:10 AM

Hi my fiancé was moved to Petersburg medium yesterday. He's been moved four time in the past six months, so I'm getting used to how the jail system works. He hasn't called me yet and was wondering if anyone knew how long it usually takes for them to get settled in to make a phone call. I'm going to end up visiting himawan soon as I can. I was reading on here that you have to wear a bra with no wire. Would I be able to wear a sports bra? And I'm on crutches would they allow me to come in with them? I can't really walk with out them. I broke my pelvis and dislocated my right hip due to a serious car accident. If anyone could tell me all the do's and don't. I'm going to be going there for 7 years to visit him and I don't want to mess up the visitation. Oh And my address on my id is different then my mailing address? Would they deny me because they're different? Has anyone on here been married in the jail? If so how did it work? Thank you!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. Your crutches and bra should be OK, but take a change of clothes with you in case a CO has issues with anything you are wearing. They do have ion scanners for drugs, but not all visitors are tested. If your address on your photo ID is different from the one on your visitation application, it might be an issue, so if you can fix that before you visit, it's probably a good idea.

If he was using the inmate telephone system in one of the other bop owned prisons he was in, his counselor can import his old phone list to the Petersburg computer (and his 9 digit phone pin # will stay the same too), so it can happen quickly. A fairly common problem at this time of year is staff vacations, so if the counselor isn't there, it will delay the process.

Petersburg has 3 prisons. They are in Hopewell, VA, right next to Fort Lee Army base. The old one with the guard towers is the FCI Low. The newer prison (no towers) is the FCI Medium. I spent years there, so ask any other questions you have.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 12-24-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Old 12-24-2015, 04:11 PM

Thank you fbopnomore! He went from chesterfield county, River side, Pawmonkey, Northern Neck, and now his final destination is Petersburg. Have you ever seen anyone get married in there? If you know anything about that could you tell me how that works? Do you know if they use globaltellink or securus? Northern neck did video visitations, do you know if Petersburg has them?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

They are all Virginia prisons, so he won't be pre approved for the bop's inmate telephone system, ITS. He will give his counselor a list of every phone number he will be allowed to call. It has to be approved, and entered into the prison phone computer. He will also have to wait to receive a 9 digit telephone pin # in the mail. Once all of that happens, usually within a week, he will be able to call collect (if the called number can accept collect calls) or can transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his ITS account to purchase prepaid phone minutes. If the number called is a local number to the prison, he will pay 6 cents/min; all other calls are 21 cents/min (which is supposed to drop to 11 cents/min in early 2016 because of a recent FCC ruling). Call forwarding services, including google voice are not allowed by the bop, and can result in the loss of all phone usage for many months. No secures or globaltellink is necessary.

Here's how to deposit money to his bop inmate account.
http://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

There were no video visits when I was there. He needs to ask his counselor or the prison Chaplain about getting married. Federal inmates can be married, but must follow the bop rules to be approved.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:31 PM
He's my heart

My loved one was just transferred to FCI Pertersburg-Low and I am looking for any and all information that can be helpful. I am hoping someone has a loved one there already that can help me with visitation and such. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The Low is the old prison, the one surrounded by guard towers. Park by the small shed at the bottom of the hill, and use the phone to call the visiting room. They will tell you when to walk up to the VR. One large VR with an area for children. Vending machines (the inmate can't approach them, just visitors) that seem to quickly run out of popular food items. You and the inmate will be seated at the same table.

Photo tickets are available at the commissary, ($1.00 each when I was there). If he brings them to the visit, the inmate photographer will take photos, which he will receive an about a week so he can mail them home.

No air conditioning in any of the housing units, but personal fans are available in the commissary. Living conditions are all over the map, so luck is important. The dorms in the two oldest buildings, Lee and Richmond, are truly awful.

There is an 18 month residential "Life Connections Program" available for some inmates through the Chaplain. It is held in a designated housing unit which is the best available situation at Petersburg. It is one of W's "faith based programs" but it is open to all (or even no) religious preference. It is billed a a release preparation program.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM
He's my heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The Low is the old prison, the one surrounded by guard towers. Park by the small shed at the bottom of the hill, and use the phone to call the visiting room. They will tell you when to walk up to the VR. One large VR with an area for children. Vending machines (the inmate can't approach them, just visitors) that seem to quickly run out of popular food items. You and the inmate will be seated at the same table.

Photo tickets are available at the commissary, ($1.00 each when I was there). If he brings them to the visit, the inmate photographer will take photos, which he will receive an about a week so he can mail them home.

No air conditioning in any of the housing units, but personal fans are available in the commissary. Living conditions are all over the map, so luck is important. The dorms in the two oldest buildings, Lee and Richmond, are truly awful.

There is an 18 month residential "Life Connections Program" available for some inmates through the Chaplain. It is held in a designated housing unit which is the best available situation at Petersburg. It is one of W's "faith based programs" but it is open to all (or even no) religious preference. It is billed a a release preparation program.
Thank you so much. So when visiting is the dress code similar to others such as Bennetsville, SC or Yazoo, MS? I know to bring extra clothes of course because sometime the metal detectors are finicky. Do you bring cash or is it the plastic card that you out money on? Again asking to be safe. I read what was online but what they put and how it actually is sometimes differs. Thank you again.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The inmates wear khaki, so you can't. There is an ion drug scanner that is sometimes used, so having a spare set of clothing is always a good idea. There is a change machine, but don't count on it to work. We always brought quarters in a clear plastic bag, so I have no idea if cards work on the machines, or not.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Just to update anyone on the ion scanner - they still use it and now if its test you positive you cannot come back for 48 hrs. They do not let you go change and come back in. I drove 7 hrs to see my son and tested positive - I do not do drugs or even smoke cigarettes. It really sucked because 48 hrs landed on a non-visiting day to begin with.
The Following User Says Thank You to debo7676 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-04-2016)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Donation Award 

Has anyone gotten phone or email from Petersburg Low today? Trying to determine if there is possibly lockdown.