Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 PM

All of the information you all have given me have been so helpful...... I just wish he would call already so I know everything is alright. I will be sure to give him the info on the "Life Connections Program" as soon as I speak with him. Is the SHU really bad (if he is there waiting for an available bed) all I can think about is like solitary confinement with no one to talk to like it is on TV
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2013, 02:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,648 Times in 13,033 Posts

The only shu is in the medium. The old SHU cells in the Low were condemned, but then reopened for an extra housing unit, which not surprisingly was the best place to be in that miserable old building.

The holdover SHU has 3-high steel bunks, with the shower & toilet in the cell. There is never anything to do in any SHU except to sleep or read. Petersburg did bring a book cart around in the evenings, so everyone did have books to read. That was different (and much better) than other places like USP Atlanta, where there were none.

Most stays in the holdover SHU were a week or less, except when the overcrowding was extreme. Only one 5 minute phone call was permitted after being there for 30 days. The cells used for discipline had one 2-high bunk, which was a much better situation.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-20-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The only shu is in the medium. The old SHU cells in the Low were condemned, but then reopened for an extra housing unit, which not surprisingly was the best place to be in that miserable old building.

The holdover SHU has 3-high steel bunks, with the shower & toilet in the cell. There is never anything to do in any SHU except to sleep or read. Petersburg did bring a book cart around in the evenings, so everyone did have books to read. That was different (and much better) than other places like USP Atlanta, where there were none.

Most stays in the holdover SHU were a week or less, except when the overcrowding was extreme. Only one 5 minute phone call was permitted after being there for 30 days. The cells used for discipline had one 2-high bunk, which was a much better situation.
That's a little bit of relief with the book cart...... I I think I read previously that he can get mail and the SHU so hopefully he will get my letters.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:

That's a little bit of relief with the book cart...... I I think I read previously that he can get mail and the SHU so hopefully he will get my letters.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Yes he will receive his mail in the SHU.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Angry

Quote:
Yes he will receive his mail in the SHU.
Ok Good ......so he will know how worried I am it's Day 5 and I still have not heard anything. ........I went from speaking to him everyday to spending every waking moment waiting on the phone to ring! This is the WORSE!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It's possible that he will have difficulty getting envelopes & stamps while he is in the SHU. When he gets assigned to GP, at least in the two FCIs, he will be able to shop at the commissary immediately by writing "first time shopper" on his commissary slip. I forget the rules for the shu.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
It's possible that he will have difficulty getting envelopes & stamps while he is in the SHU. When he gets assigned to GP, at least in the two FCIs, he will be able to shop at the commissary immediately by writing "first time shopper" on his commissary slip. I forget the rules for the shu.
Still haven't heard anything :-( but I send my letters daily faithfully!! Hopefully that keeps him in positive spirits. I called them multiple times and old the last call they advised me that he is still there is the holdover and he will be going somewhere else but of course they don't know (or wont say) where. Im wondering where else they may send him the judge made the recommendation to keep him as close to home as possible and being that he has 29 months left Petersburg seems to be closets next will be Butner. I'm also wondering can they possibly be holding him there before sending him to the Low or Camp in Petersburg. This is overwhelming lol I have to try and keep my head on straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to nitah1013 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

One of the endless (unknown) possibilities is assignment to any one of the Petersburg prisons. Even folks who were assigned at the Medium sometimes ended up in the SHU waiting for bed space. When I was there, movements to the Low/camp only happened on Wed & Fri. Recommendations by judges are often ignored by the bop.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-25-2013 at 07:39 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
nitah1013 (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks Hopefully his time will come up soon to be moved. Petersburg will be awesome but just get him out of SHU.
fbopnomore (09-26-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
One of the endless (unknown) possibilities is assignment to any one of the Petersburg prisons. Even folks who were assigned at the Medium sometimes ended up in the SHU waiting for bed space. When I was there, movements to the Low/camp only happened on Wed & Fri. Recommendations by judges are often ignored by the bop.
HE FINALLY CALLED yesterday and I didn't have the money on my cell account to accept the call and when I pressed the button to add money to the account he hung up and called his grandmas home phone. He told her he didn't want me to add money b/c he only gets to call once a week while on Holdover and they told him he should be moved to Butner NC before next week (and they wouldn't let him put money from his canteen in the holdover. But Thank You for all the advice
fbopnomore (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I'm glad you found out he's OK, and where he is headed. He will definitely go to Butner on a bus or a van. Holdover rules are almost always different than those for folks who are assigned there too. Butner uses the inmate telephone system, so he will be able to buy prepaid phone minutes as soon as he is added to their computer database.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Does anyone have information about Petersburg Low. Do they have access to a gym? Weights?
Thank you for any info at all.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Petersburg Low does have weights, and a nice gym too. Outside tennis courts, sports fields, a running track and handball courts too. The Medium does not have a weight pile, but the camp does have one. The low is old enough that their weights were grandfathered when congress banned the bop from spending any more money on weights.

The prison has a good library and Chapel too (and even trees !)
Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM

Hi my love one is about to start his sentencing. He will be going to either a low or minimum facility. His lawyer ask him what 3 places would he rather do his time. We live in Maryland so between fort Dix, fairton, Cumberland, Lewisburg or Petersburg. Do one here know any info as to a decent living stay or education program apprenticeships at these prisons. He wants to do hvac and culinary cook as well as business classes. Also do these places have weights to exercise with? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanked 1,991 Times in 851 Posts

My best friend may be transferring to Petersburg Medium in the next month or two. Does anyone have the scoop on living conditions and the staff at Petersburg?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I was there for a couple of years, and still correspond with some friends there. It's actually OK as far as bop prisons go. The Medium is air conditioned, the low isn't, which makes a huge difference in the VA summers. There are no dormitories in the medium, so the worst housing assignment is a 3 person room where a 3 high bunk was plugged into the space where a 2 person bed used to be. The result, too many folks in too small a space, and it is impossible to sit on your bed because of the lack of headroom. There are mostly 2 & 4 man rooms, which are better. The low, built in the early 1900s, has some really nasty dormitory housing in two of the oldest buildings.

I found Petersburg to be far more laid back than the other bop prisons I was in previously, which was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 01-14-2014 at 10:03 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Tried&True (01-14-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Petersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene.E2008 View Post
My man has been there for a long ass time and I know that place inside and out, if you need any info, message me or whatever, I can tell you everything you need to know about Petersburg.
What was it like inside?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:18 AM

I am going to be taking my first trip to FCI Petersburg Low in 30 days. I am from California and I've never been to any type of facility. I have no idea what to expect. I am nervous about what to wear. This is the first time I'll be meeting My Love because we met on a pen pal site over a year ago. I've got some professional but nice fitting dresses that go below the knee, some skinny jeans but I'm not sure what all I should wear. I feel concerned about everything like getting through the metal detectors, the ion machine and my clothes...Can anyone give me some pointers? I really appreciate it. Thank all of you for giving me so much info before my trip. You all are so awesome!!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The FCI low is the old prison (the one with the guard towers). There is a small shed next to the parking area where you check-in over the phone. Then you walk up the hill to the visiting room (on the right, the buildings on the left are the camp). Always take a change of clothes to leave in your car in case something you are wearing doesn't please the COs.

There is a metal detector, and an ion drug scanner that are used, the metal detector for everyone, and the drug scanner sometimes. Be sure to read and follow the visitor's rules.
http://www.bop.gov/inmates/visiting.jsp
http://www.bop.gov/locations/institu...isit_hours.pdf

There are always other visitors who have been there before, so you may get some answers by asking, and/or by observing them. Have a great visit.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I read the links. You are so helpful. I've been reading your other posts on this facility as well. Is there anything is particular I should be concerned about?

Every Single Thing that has happened in your life is preparing you for a moment that is yet to come.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devoted2DM For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Not that I'm aware of. If you want to have photos taken of your visit, he needs to purchase photo tickets at the commissary prior to your visit, and then bring them with him. $1.00 per picture, and he will receive them a week or so after they are taken.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Donation Award 

I visited my friend in Petersburg Low in December 2013. It was my first visit there and like you I was travelling cross country to be there, so I was also nervous about the process. Everything went smoothly and the tips posted so far are spot on as far as I can see.

As FBOP mentioned, when you park, there is this little shed you will go to, right near where you park. I arrived about 20 mins before visiting hours started.

Lock everything in your trunk, except your little clear change purse where you have some quarters, and some singles, and your driver's license, and your car keys. That's it. No chap stick, no lip gloss, no gum, no phone.

When I walked in the little shed, there was a clipboard where everyone who was visiting wrote their name down, to keep track of who arrived when. There were forms there to fill out, regarding who you are visiting. To fill out the form, you will need to know your friend's register number, if you don't already have it memorized, and the license plate, make, and model of your car. You're not super far away from the car at this point, but it is nice to know it so you don't have to run out and look at the car

Everyone will be hanging around in the shed at this point. Then at exactly the appointed visiting time, someone, I guess someone who has been there before and knows the drill, will pick up the telephone in the shed, and it rings directly through to the security station. That person will read off the names of the people on the list, and how many are in their party, and who they are visiting. Then that person hangs up the phone, and they will say something like "OK they said to come up".

You'll all walk up to the main building together. Through the front door to a little lobby area, where you will hand over that form and your driver's license. If you have bad handwriting they will make some sort of irritated comment about your chicken scratch, so neatness counts

They will direct you over to the left, where there are seats and you will wait a few minutes. There is a bathroom there, I didn't use it, I had visions of someone spilling drugs they were smuggling in all over it. Then they will start calling people's names, in groups, and you will go through the security screening. It's like the airport. There is a visitor book which you have to sign (again with that register number). They may select you for drug residue scanning, I got selected on my second day visit, they just wiped my jacket and my hands with a swab then put it in a machine. Apparently I passed

Shoes off and send through the scanner, hand over your little change purse, they will check it and count your money, then walk through metal detector.

Once they get your group all through the scanners and such, they will open the first gate and move you into a hallway, you are between two doors. It's not like a scary closed in thing or anything. I am pretty claustrophobic and it did not bother me.

Then the secure that first door behind you, and after a minute they open the door to the visiting room. A CO there will direct you where to sit. Your friend won't be there yet.

There are groupings of four chairs, all around this weird low little table. In the movies you always see people sitting at like a regular table, but the table here is low, like a coffee table or ottoman height. I asked why, and my friend said it is to prevent things being passed under the table, or any other inappropriate under table type actions.

If it is a busy day with a lot of visitors coming in, you might want to go and get your friend some snacks from the vending machine. If he has had visitors before, ask him if he knows what kind of snacks he wants, before you go. Sometimes they run out of the most popular items, I have heard, but I did not experience that personally. He won't be able to go over to the machines with you, so it's nice, if you can, to have that all taken care of before he comes out. Otherwise he shows up then you have to leave him for 5 minutes while you microwave his cheeseburger. Find out what he likes to drink, get a little picnic set up

Then, wait. There is this door in the far corner of the room, a clicking noise will sounds, and a light will flash - that means someone is coming. Several people who are not your friend will come through the door and you will be disappointed, then your friend will show up and you'll be excited to see them.

He has to report to the CO desk first and give them his ID card, before he comes to sit with you. He is allowed to give you a hug and a kiss, I did not see anyone get chastised for overdoing it, but I did not see anyone really going for it either I think people are very cautious because their visits mean a lot to them and they don't want to risk losing them.

You are allowed to sit next to each other, most of the visit I had my arm around his shoulders. We are friends, not a couple, but I assume that being in prison is a no-touch kind of place, and it probably feels nice to have another person touch you, if you are a person who likes physical contact.

You can borrow a deck of cards from the CO at the desk, or just sit and talk. Keep your eyes on your own visit, don't cross talk with other visiting groups. There is a bathroom in there for visitor use, it's fine, not horrid or anything. There is one tv, it isn't really in a place where you can see it from most of the seats. Not sure who it is for.

I have heard if the visiting room gets crowded and people are waiting, they may start asking those who arrived first to leave. I did not witness this myself, but I was told that if this does happen, just calmly let them know you'd like to stay, if you could, since you travelled from 2500 miles away. Typically they ask those who are local or close by to leave before terminating a long distance visitor.

They will start announcing opportunities to leave after a while. Just like coming in, they process departures in groups. Same drill. You separate from your friend, you line up at the door to go outside, they will give you back your ID. The departing inmates line up near that door with the light over it.

You have to stand there for a while, and you will wave at each other a dozen times and smile and try not to cry. This was the hardest part of the visit for me, knowing I was leaving and my friend had to stay. You will want to grab him by the arm and take him with you but this is NOT recommended

You'll go back through the double door set. Don't forget to sign out in the log book in the lobby. Don't speed on the way out of there, I saw cops hiding, waiting on the road right outside there, both days I visited.

He gets searched on the way back in, I am told.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FancyBoots For This Useful Post:
Antnee Girl (09-10-2014), Devoted2DM (03-15-2014), fbopnomore (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Donation Award 

Oh, and you asked about clothes. Most of this is in the handbook, which someone linked to - don't wear orange, don't wear khaki, skirt below knee length, no sleeveless, no cleavage, no spandex. There was also a sign that mentioned a new rule that is not in the guidebook - no gray sweatpants. And that little change purse i mentioned, it has to be clear, get a little clear zippered makeup pouch or something from the drugstore. You could use a ziploc but all those quarters are heavy and could rip a baggie. My friend teased me about my "designer" clutch, my ugly clear plastic makeup pouch full of quarters, because I am a handbag addict. So that night when I went back to the hotel I borrowed a Sharpie and drew Louis Vuitton logos all over it. The CO at the security scanner got a laugh out of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to FancyBoots For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-14-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM

I was at FCI Petersburg Low until recently and would be happy to answer any questions anyone has...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DenifLewesa For This Useful Post:
FancyBoots (04-20-2014), fbopnomore (04-21-2014), flynnman22 (01-17-2015), Rizzy Baybee (04-07-2018)