Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up Now I'm Saving $$$ On My Collect Calls From My Man Who's In a CA Prison...

Okay everyone, I about had it with these collect call prices. My man calls me so much that my phone bills are outrageous! Even with this 90 cents saving that went into affect with MCI effective April 15, 2005 the calls add up. So I came up with a better plan for myself. I tried going through PCO (prison calls online) but they were still higher than what I'm doing now.

Now this may work for some of you who receive a lot of calls.

My phone carrier is SBC (formerly known as Pacific Bell)

Well this is what I did. I wanted to see if it would be cheaper for me to get a phone line hooked up in the same area code as my man. I live in San Jose, CA and my man is in San Luis Obispo, CA. So my area code is (408) and his is (805). This is what it breaks down to:

When my man calls me collect to my (408) area code the charges are...

$2.00 - to connect the call then
0.22 cents - for each minute

So the total for a 15 minute call costs me $5.30

But if I were to get a phone number in the same area code as the prison he's at which is an (805) area code my charges would be.....

$1.65 - to connect the call
$0.15 cents - for each minute

So the total for a 15 minute call would cost me $3.90

If you do the math that means that I will be saving $1.40 per call. It may not seem like a lot but with as much as my man calls I figured that I would save about $80 per month.

Here's the thing. I order for me to get a phone number in the same area code as the prison without living there I had to get something called "Remote Call Forwarding." Basically the phone company got me a phone number with a (805) area code and that number is forwarded to my home phone. So my man calls the (805) phone number but it rings at my house. So now I get 2 phone bills because it looks like I have 2 seperate phones. I get my regular home phone bill and then I get my bill for the "remote call forwarding" phone.

Here's the thing.....there is a monthly fee for the remote call forwarding and there is long distance fees since the number is being forwarded to another number in a different area code. Here are the fees.....

$17.10 - monthly fee for the Remote Call Forwarding

Then for the long distance you have a choice on the number of minutes you want. Of course this depends on how much your loved one calls. Here are the options:

$10.00 - a month for 200 long distance minutes

$15.00 - a month for 400 long distance minutes

$30.00 - a month of Unlimted long distance minutes

Of course I chose the unlimted long distance minutes because my man calls me about 90 times a month.

So here is a break down of my totals (just to give you an idea)

I pay $47.10 per month (which includes the $17.10 monthly fee for the Remote Call Forwarding & the $30.00 fee for the unlimited long distance minutes)

Then I pay $3.90 for each 15 minutes collect call from my man.

I figured I'd be saving money like this...

Say my man calls me 92 times in 1 month.

If I didn't do the Remote Call Forwarding and my man called my home phone which is (408) it would cost me $487.60 for 92 calls.

But now that I'm doing the remote call forwarding and if my man calls the (805) phone number it would cost me $358.80 for 92 calls + $47.10 for the monthly fees which would total to $405.90. Which is still saving me $81.70.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone but I'm just trying to help you all out. If you have any questions let me know!

Last edited by Pinky99; 05-11-2005 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: I added more info.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks for explaining! I've read other post that talk about RCF, but there was never really an explanation of how it worked. You did a great job!!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM
When Classy met her THUG

I had heard of this before but I was waiting to see what the cost per call was from San Quentin. I do have one question.... when you called SBC and asked for this number did they ask you if it was for a business and if so what the name of it was?

When I tried it a few months back that was the question I got and so I just gave up.

I'm Not Always There When You Call
But I'm ALWAYS On Time

Old 05-11-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 B&C
I had heard of this before but I was waiting to see what the cost per call was from San Quentin. I do have one question.... when you called SBC and asked for this number did they ask you if it was for a business and if so what the name of it was?

When I tried it a few months back that was the question I got and so I just gave up.

Yes, I told them that it was for "my self owned business" and that I am a sole propriator (sp?). They will try and give you the run around but if you call them and are like "look I know this can be done, I had my husband/mother/sister (whomever) do it in the past." Then they'll know you know your stuff and they'll help you. They just don't like to do it because it's a lot of paperwork on their end.

If you want to know how much a collect call from any CA prison to your home will be just call MCI's correction billing and tell them. This is my home number and I want to know how much a 15 minutes collect call from SQ (give them the area code) will cost me.

Then ask them, "I want to know how much a 15 minute call from SQ to a number in the same area code as the prisom will cost me." They'll ask for a number in that area code and I would just give them the direct number to the prison so they can check. Then once you have your 2 figures you'll know if indeed the Remote Call Forwarding would work for you.

Then number to the MCI Correctional Billing is (800) 231-0193
Old 05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Donation Award 

oh my gosh !!! i am so glad your brain works like that, i would'nt even know how to begin to explain that. Good Job !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM
MY HEART IS IN MULE CREEK

damn girl you did your homework! thats cool that it all works out for you, my man dosent call as much as your man or i would most likely do the same, but i give you props on your dedication!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM

Well thank you for breaking it down for all of us! I have thought about doing this before but where my man is at right now he cant even call like that.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:26 PM
When Classy met her THUG

Thanks a million girl! I never really complain about the phone bills because it isnt a big deal but I am not against saving some more money for me to shop with lol!

I will try it and let you know how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-bi-lu
Yes, I told them that it was for "my self owned business" and that I am a sole propriator (sp?). They will try and give you the run around but if you call them and are like "look I know this can be done, I had my husband/mother/sister (whomever) do it in the past." Then they'll know you know your stuff and they'll help you. They just don't like to do it because it's a lot of paperwork on their end.

If you want to know how much a collect call from any CA prison to your home will be just call MCI's correction billing and tell them. This is my home number and I want to know how much a 15 minutes collect call from SQ (give them the area code) will cost me.

Then ask them, "I want to know how much a 15 minute call from SQ to a number in the same area code as the prisom will cost me." They'll ask for a number in that area code and I would just give them the direct number to the prison so they can check. Then once you have your 2 figures you'll know if indeed the Remote Call Forwarding would work for you.

Then number to the MCI Correctional Billing is (800) 231-0193

I'm Not Always There When You Call
But I'm ALWAYS On Time

Old 05-12-2005, 07:54 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob-bi-lu~ Girl you are so cute! I have done the exact same thing!!! Although I used a T-Mobil cell phone and to have the calls forwarded my total bill is $39.95 per month.

That is so funny, I'm on my 3rd phone number trying to save money and I can tell you it has paid off huge!!!! My calls from Mule Creek to an out of state number were almost $18.00 per 15 minute call!!!

Thanks for the great info!!!

Bec
Old 05-12-2005, 02:35 PM
...if I aint got u baby.

Exclamation

Hey I know i'm the new kid but I may have a cheaper (and easier) way of saving money. The is a business called Evercom or Correctional Billing Services, or whatever they're calling themselves this week. You can have the calls go to your home or cell phone. If it's your home you can have it billed through your regular telephone bill. If it's your cell phone you have to pre-pay in a minimum of 50 dollar incriments (this should be no prob for you big spenders). Then every time a call comes in, it's drawn off of the 50 dollars, or whatever amount you put on your phone. That way every penny you pay out goes towards the actual phone calls, not monthly fees. Plus, the calls are about 4 dollars for 15mins. Multiply that by the 92 calls per month your total cost would be about 370 dollars. No extra phone line, no mess!!!!! hope this helps let me know if it does. Their number is 1-800-844-6591.

*note: not available for all areas or jails/prisons. Call to find out
P.S. 03 B&C cute picture!!!!!!!

Last edited by love?; 05-12-2005 at 02:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2005, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love?
Hey I know i'm the new kid but I may have a cheaper (and easier) way of saving money. The is a business called Evercom or Correctional Billing Services, or whatever they're calling themselves this week. You can have the calls go to your home or cell phone. If it's your home you can have it billed through your regular telephone bill. If it's your cell phone you have to pre-pay in a minimum of 50 dollar incriments (this should be no prob for you big spenders). Then every time a call comes in, it's drawn off of the 50 dollars, or whatever amount you put on your phone. That way every penny you pay out goes towards the actual phone calls, not monthly fees. Plus, the calls are about 4 dollars for 15mins. Multiply that by the 92 calls per month your total cost would be about 370 dollars. No extra phone line, no mess!!!!! hope this helps let me know if it does. Their number is 1-800-844-6591.

*note: not available for all areas or jails/prisons. Call to find out
P.S. 03 B&C cute picture!!!!!!!
Sorry but I'm a little confused???? So with this Correctional Billing Service are you actually getting a phone number in the same area code that your loved one is in???? If so then wouldn't you have to still pay for the phone line & the long distance since it's being forwarded to a different area code???? I don't understand how they can make a flat rate of $4 for 15 minutes for all prison calls??? Please explain....

Last edited by Pinky99; 05-12-2005 at 08:10 PM..
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Single and missing him..

Bob-Bi-Lu

Okay so u say u pay $47.10 per month on ur forwarded # right. what i wanna know is what do you pay on your regular home phone bill? are you really saving when u have to pay for 2 phone lines???
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyJD
Bob-Bi-Lu

Okay so u say u pay $47.10 per month on ur forwarded # right. what i wanna know is what do you pay on your regular home phone bill? are you really saving when u have to pay for 2 phone lines???
Oh my regular phone is just basic service so it's only like $20 a month. Yes, I did all the calculations and with as much as my man calls me it's definitely going to save me some money. As long as he makes 30 or more calls a month I'll be saving money. My mans calls me about 90 times a month so well go over that 30 calls in a week. So this is really going to work for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:04 PM

i wish i would have known about this sooner...i only have 15 days left!!! oh well...money lost...i won't say "next time" because THERE WILL BE NO NEXT TIME!!

2005 Club Member #12
Old 05-13-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-bi-lu
Sorry but I'm a little confused???? So with this Correctional Billing Service are you actually getting a phone number in the same area code that your loved one is in???? If so then wouldn't you have to still pay for the phone line & the long distance since it's being forwarded to a different area code???? I don't understand how they can make a flat rate of $4 for 15 minutes for all prison calls??? Please explain....

Hi Bob-bi-lu

I just set up a pre-paid account with correctional Billing Service last month. it is to my cell. It's a florida Number and he is in New Mexico.First they charged me a fifty eight dollar connection fee Now get this to accept the call it is three dollars and fifty cents a min after that.I get to talk for 20 mins. Well I think it's not to bad $13 dollars a call.They call me today and tell me I'm out of money and I said no at $13 dollars a call I should still have money left. The Woman I spoke to told me I was paying $16.58 for a twenty min call after taxes and a billing fee So I'm pissed but he is calling on sunday so I don't have much choice but to put more money on the account. So I tell her Put a $100.00 on my account. And they charged me another $8.00 for doing that.I only have the cell phone so I don't have much choice. But if anyone uses this servive ask up front what they are really going to charge you.She also told me the charges vary from prison to prison.
TC
Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 PM
itzmydestiny

You Go Girl ~!!! Thank You For Sharing , I Will Look Into It ! I Have A Quick Question Though~ Is this just for business only ?

What GOD has brought together , let no man put asunder

Last edited by wifey4lifey; 05-13-2005 at 06:21 PM..
Old 05-13-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey4lifey
You Go Girl ~!!! Thank You For Sharing , I Will Look Into It ! I Have A Quick Question Though~ Is this just for business only ?

I'm not sure, I think it is just for a business but don't trip because all you tell them is you're a sole propriator (sp?) and I made up a business name. They don't check the business name so don't even worry about it. Before you do it though make sure you check to see if it's going to work for you. It works for me because my man calls A LOT....I MEAN A LOT!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

Wow you have put some thought into this LOL

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
Old 10-15-2007, 12:28 AM
PATIENTLY WAITING

I wish we could get calls like that down here in TX. Our guys get one 5 minute call every 90 days and they have to put in a request for that. Supposedly (sp?) they are changing that, to what who knows.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Shaun's Wifey 2005

This is good, but if you get an area code in your prison area through vonage it is only 24.99/month for unlimited calls or 14.99/month for 500 minutes/month and you don't have to pay for forwarding. You can forward the call yourself to any number home or cell, wherever and whenever you like. You have to set up a prepaid account through whatever company the prison uses. So all you pay is the rate for the prison calls and the vonage bill. It is great! If your inmate moves to another area code, you can get a number that will automatically forward to your original number for 9.99 more per month. I found this works well.

Last edited by notlyte68; 10-15-2007 at 06:56 AM..
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM

check out

local 123
its a website
i hears its the cheapest........3.95 per month for a number

good luck seer
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Hey.....FatBoyNPuff......Evercom tried to pull the same kind of thing to me when I first got my account with them. Called me and said I was out of money and I KNEW I shouldn't be so I called em up. Well, I was getting no where and finally I told the woman I knew exactly how many calls I'd had and I could add so I told her we were gonna go through each day and she was gonna tell me how many calls I had been billed for. Turns out they had double billed me. Yeah......double billed me! Tried to tell me my man had called 8 times the first day. Well, I knew he had called 4. It was the first day he could call and we hadn't got to talk for a few weeks - ya know? But it wasn't 8! She'd tell me 4 calls and I'd say "nope it was 2" and so on. Then she told me she was right and I was mistaken. And I told her NOOOOOO I'm not mistaken, I keep records because it's my money! So I made her give me the times next. She spatted off for that day with the so called 8 calls something like 1:02, 2:02, 2:34, 3:34, 4:19, 5:19, 6:57, 7:57. And I told her she had just proven my point. Because there was no way we could have possibly gotten those calls to go through exactly 1 hour after the other. I told her we were good but we weren't that good! So I proved my point and they gave me a refund and it's never happened again.

Long story but maybe it'll help somebody out there. Don't take this kind of crap from anybody! It's your money. Stand up for yourself because nobody else it going to!

Ya'll have a good weekend!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM

Default thanks for info

wow, I live in GA and my husband is down in CA I'm paying $17 a call. I tried some on line scam and it coast me more than it was worth. It's hard for me cuz i'm like honey I need the calls but I want a visite and I just don't have that kind of cash. I will look into the extra line with the same area code. Thanks for the info. With less than a year left I'm hoping Arnold will get off his butt and deal with the early release so I can get my honey home and keep some of our money at the house.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
We are One

I so hear you about shaving off time and remodifing sentences ....
California would adore Arnold... and not just for his movies ... Ha! Ha! Ha!......
Old 01-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Waiting to see my bro
Donation Award 

Hi Bob-bi-lu, I read your thread, you are still paying too much for your calls. I currently go through Get Connected (getconnectedus.net) I only paid $6 for set up, $5/month for service and $20 for my calls. Get Connected does the same thing as you did with sbc for a much lower price and its pre-paid, you can even receive calls on cell phones or VOIP phones.