Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 AM

Question First letter he asked to set him up a JPay account

I have received my first letter from PP. He asked me to set him up a Jpay account. Thus said something about its better than letters.😕 It kinda threw me off. But I figured he said it was for emails so. I went to the web site,and signed him up. I tried to browse the site, and clicked email. It say I had to pay for stamps online and for him to reply. Im guessing I have to put my debit card on file?. It thought it was a free website. I dont know much about the site, but had an associate. Who use to send her brother money on there. I am feeling like this may be an early "red flag" for him to soon start asking for money. I am uncomfortable sending him money, dont know him and honestly unable to. Should I address this with him before we go any further? Also inform me on how the site Jpay works,if you are familiar.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,941 Posts

You have to pay for "stamps" so send emails but I think it's not that much. You can use also JPay to send him money.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
You have to pay for "stamps" so send emails but I think it's not that much. You can use also JPay to send him money.
Did you read the full post?
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,660 Times in 1,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinedream View Post
Did you read the full post?
I did but I guess I misunderstood. So he wants you to set up an account with JPay in his name, correct? So with your payment details on file a third person could use his account to send money all over the place...
Maybe I'm too blond but if this is the case (or close enough) RUN!!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:42 AM

I wouldn't have thought it was possible for you to set up a jpay account for him? Maybe he meant set one up for yourself so you can email each other? If that's the case then you have nothing to worry about, jpay is safe and your card details will be safe. If you're worried he's going to ask you for money through jpay then you can't send any anyway until you are on his visitors list. But yes you will have to pay for stamps and his reply too if you want to, nothing is free!
Old 11-17-2015, 04:46 AM

Hi Tangerine,
I don't think its necessarily a red flag or him hitting you up for money straight away. I use JPay with one of my penpals, and its true you do have to pay for "stamps," but its cheaper and faster than USPS stamps, and that's most likely the reason he wants to use it.
You do put your card on file with them, but I've never had any problems with them charging more than I authorize or anything like that. They seem to be a good, honest company. Your pal won't be able to see your card info or charge money to your card or anything like that. He pays for his own stamps to message you--unless you choose to tick the box to pre-pay for his reply to your message, which is an option you have every time you write.
Its true you can send money and music credits through JPay, which is convenient if you do want to do that, but its your choice and a boundary you'll have to establish with him. I don't think he was probably hinting at that at this stage--he just probably wants the faster/easier communication with you. What you may need to address is the frequency of writing--if you don't have time to email every day, you might want to mention that so that his feelings don't get hurt or so he doesn't feel insecure when/if you don't respond promptly all of the time.
If you feel comfortable with him and want to communicate frequently, I say go ahead and sign up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clever_corvid For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (11-17-2015), MariaFairmaiden (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clever_corvid View Post
Hi Tangerine,
I don't think its necessarily a red flag or him hitting you up for money straight away. I use JPay with one of my penpals, and its true you do have to pay for "stamps," but its cheaper and faster than USPS stamps, and that's most likely the reason he wants to use it.
You do put your card on file with them, but I've never had any problems with them charging more than I authorize or anything like that. They seem to be a good, honest company. Your pal won't be able to see your card info or charge money to your card or anything like that. He pays for his own stamps to message you--unless you choose to tick the box to pre-pay for his reply to your message, which is an option you have every time you write.
Its true you can send money and music credits through JPay, which is convenient if you do want to do that, but its your choice and a boundary you'll have to establish with him. I don't think he was probably hinting at that at this stage--he just probably wants the faster/easier communication with you. What you may need to address is the frequency of writing--if you don't have time to email every day, you might want to mention that so that his feelings don't get hurt or so he doesn't feel insecure when/if you don't respond promptly all of the time.
If you feel comfortable with him and want to communicate frequently, I say go ahead and sign up
Oh. thanks. So he cant see or access my card information?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 AM

Quote:
No, he can't.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:56 AM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
Even you would not see the complete number the next time you logged in.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Nomes (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 05:10 AM

The costs for using jpay to send email is no different than the cost of postage to mail a letter.

And, while there is the option to store the card info on the site, a third-party could not just make random purchases with it because it does not store the security code.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:32 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

The cost of the stamps depends on the state where your default jpay-penpal is located. Some are cheaper than others.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1969 View Post
The cost of the stamps depends on the state where your default jpay-penpal is located. Some are cheaper than others.
I have not observed this to be the case and we have a few clients housed outside of Texas that we have used it with. When 'stamps' are purchased, it is a flat 49 cents per stamp...
Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
I have not observed this to be the case and we have a few clients housed outside of Texas that we have used it with. When 'stamps' are purchased, it is a flat 49 cents per stamp...
I use Jpay email to write a penpal in Kentucky. The account is free, but to send emails (either direction) costs a "stamp". The cost of stamps is 44 cents each.

If I change the inmate on the drop down menu to my penpal in Texas then the stamps cost 49 cents.

Funny thing is that they go into the same pool of stamps.

tangerinedream: If your penpal asked you to set up a Jpay account for him then somewhere there was a mis-communication. To the best of my knowledge, you would only set up an account for you. You can have multiple inmates associated with your account ( I currently have six). Only two of these has any email, and only one can email me back. The others are for transferring money.

It could be that your penpal just wanted the ease of using email. Or he could be trying to make it easy for you to give him money. I would give him the benefit of the doubt, until he specifically asks for money.

The odds are that he will ask. Be prepared for what your answer will be, and then stick to it.

I have given all my penpals a small amount of money, basically enough to cover the costs of writing to me. I don't want to support them, but I don't want the cost of writing to me to be a burden on them either.

The Jpay email is nice because we can exchange letters on a daily basis instead of a weekly basis. The cost for me is $0.44 PER PAGE so if I have a long letter I will still send it snail mail as it is cheaper. Besides, the paper they can take back to their room and read at their leisure. The email has to be read while sitting at a kiosk, and time is very limited.

In order for the inmate to write you back they will need stamps as well. The inmate can not buy stamps, they have to be bought by someone on the outside (you). You have the option of "attaching" a stamp to your email that they can then use to write you back, or you can transfer some of your stamps to them.

What I don't know is if the inmate can use the stamps you provide to email someone else. Anyone else know?

Using Jpay to transfer funds is convenient, but not free. The fee charged varies with the facility. At some facilities it was $2.90 for a $25 transfer, while at another facility it was over $5.

I suspect that the facility gets a cut of the stamp and money transfer fees and thus the variation in costs.

R. Mc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
marco1969 (11-17-2015), Tx_Angel (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc50 View Post
In order for the inmate to write you back they will need stamps as well. The inmate can not buy stamps, they have to be bought by someone on the outside (you). You have the option of "attaching" a stamp to your email that they can then use to write you back, or you can transfer some of your stamps to them.

What I don't know is if the inmate can use the stamps you provide to email someone else. Anyone else know?

R. Mc.
The inmate can buy jpay stamps to send emails, well my guy does?
If you transfer stamps to them they can use them to email anyone. If you attach a stamp to your email for a reply, they can only reply to you with it.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc50 View Post

I suspect that the facility gets a cut of the stamp and money transfer fees and thus the variation in costs.

R. Mc.
I am pretty sure in Indiana, inmates can buy their own stamps. And if you send a pre-paid reply it has to be used to write you but transferring to them puts it in their pool for anyone.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:44 AM

"tangerinedream: If your pen pal asked you to set up a Jpay account for him then somewhere there was a mis-communication. To the best of my knowledge, you would only set up an account for you."

his specific words were to "set me up with a Jpay account.
But when I tried signed up for myself as others said. It asks for his information. So I put in his name and inmate number. It's like the system thinks I'm him.

Its saying my registration starts when I locate the inmate. so confusing.. ugh. yeah. I'll have to tell him this is not gonna work out.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:14 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,988 Times in 7,361 Posts

Quote:
"tangerinedream: If your pen pal asked you to set up a Jpay account for him then somewhere there was a mis-communication. To the best of my knowledge, you would only set up an account for you."

his specific words were to "set me up with a Jpay account.
But when I tried signed up for myself as others said. It asks for his information. So I put in his name and inmate number. It's like the system thinks I'm him.

Its saying my registration starts when I locate the inmate. so confusing.. ugh. yeah. I'll have to tell him this is not gonna work out.
Of course the system is going to ask for his information. That is how you get setup to send email to an inmate. It is as others have told you. You must purchase stamps in order to be able to send him email. If you send him a stamp with your email, he can only use it to reply to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
WeepingWillow (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
I only pay 40 cents a stamp in Indiana and that's before the few extras for bulk buying.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:05 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

If you have multiple inmates listed as contacts on JPay you can choose which one is your default. On the homepage just use the downward Arrow next to the name. When that inmate is default stamp rates for his/her state will be charged. As far as I know, Washington is the cheapest.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:00 AM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
I have received my first letter from PP. He asked me to set him up a Jpay account. Thus said something about its better than letters.😕 It kinda threw me off. But I figured he said it was for emails so. I went to the web site,and signed him up. I tried to browse the site, and clicked email. It say I had to pay for stamps online and for him to reply. Im guessing I have to put my debit card on file?. It thought it was a free website. I dont know much about the site, but had an associate. Who use to send her brother money on there. I am feeling like this may be an early "red flag" for him to soon start asking for money. I am uncomfortable sending him money, dont know him and honestly unable to. Should I address this with him before we go any further? Also inform me on how the site Jpay works,if you are familiar.
Bottom line is, if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. I would say him asking for money in his first letter is a "red flag" but who am I to say? I myself would and told my PP that I am NOT here to support him financially. I got that out in the first letter, and he has never asked for money. I now am helping him, but was not at first. It takes time to build trust, so take the time you need, and don't do anything you feel "weird" about.
tangerinedream (11-17-2015), yoel (11-28-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
. I would say him asking for money in his first letter is a "red flag" but who am I to say?
I agree that would be but she did not say he was asking for money.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

If you use the 'transfer stamps' option to transfer stamps from yourself to the inmate, I think the inmate can use them as she likes. If you attach a reply stamp to your mail, it can only be used for replying to that specific email to the original sender.

I was under the impression that inmates can buy stamps by transferring money from their own account to buy stamps. I am certain that this is true for music credits they can buy (if they have a JPay player), so I don't see why it would be any different for stamps. But maybe this differs from state to state as well?
The Following User Says Thank You to marco1969 For This Useful Post:
TawnyStar (12-28-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Thanked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts

My husband's prison used to have Jpay and you won't be able to set an account in his name as I'm almost certain that the account has to be in the credit card holder's name.

It seems a bit of a red flag asking you to do that in his very first letter. It might be innocent but be careful. I'm now m married to my pen pal and h e still doesn't ask for anything
The Following User Says Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
Zed (11-17-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Certified Recluse
Donation Award 

I agree with WeepingWillow. Maybe his prison only has JPay. If the prison has both services (which I doubt), it would be interesting to find out which one has the cheapest stamps.

The JPay site and procedure can be confusing at first. It was to me! But you sign up yourself for at least one inmate (only linking your name to his name as a contact, really). Then you buy stamps for sending email to him. He cannot see your account details, stamps, or financial details. Just your name. You can later add other inmates to your contact list if you write to more penpals. You can also remove inmates from your contact list if you stop writing to them. If you don't transfer stamps to him, he has to buy the stamps himself.

I find the service convenient and at least it's quicker than snail mail. However, if you are uncomfortable in any way, don't do it just yet. Or if he does start asking for money, or stamps, that would be the time to tell him what you want or don't want. At this stage I would not hold his request against him. Just ask him what he meant by setting him up a JPay account? Maybe he clarifies. Some inmates don't always express themselves in a clear way, besides he probably has not a good idea how the JPay system set-up works for people on the outside.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1969 View Post
I agree with WeepingWillow. Maybe his prison only has JPay. If the prison has both services (which I doubt), it would be interesting to find out which one has the cheapest stamps.

The JPay site and procedure can be confusing at first. It was to me! But you sign up yourself for at least one inmate (only linking your name to his name as a contact, really). Then you buy stamps for sending email to him. He cannot see your account details, stamps, or financial details. Just your name. You can later add other inmates to your contact list if you write to more penpals. You can also remove inmates from your contact list if you stop writing to them. If you don't transfer stamps to him, he has to buy the stamps himself.

I find the service convenient and at least it's quicker than snail mail. However, if you are uncomfortable in any way, don't do it just yet. Or if he does start asking for money, or stamps, that would be the time to tell him what you want or don't want. At this stage I would not hold his request against him. Just ask him what he meant by setting him up a JPay account? Maybe he clarifies. Some inmates don't always express themselves in a clear way, besides he probably has not a good idea how the JPay system set-up works for people on the outside.
Thank you.