Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California State Prison, Solano (SOL)
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California State Prison, Solano (SOL) Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the California State Prison, Solano (SOL) located in Vacaville, California.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts
Default Confirmed case of TB at prison in CSP-Solano

Confirmed case of TB at prison in Solano
The Reporter, Vacaville
Article Launched: 01/26/2008 07:49:41 AM PST

California State Prison-Solano officials announced Friday that there is a confirmed case of an inmate with tuberculosis, and that as a result, prison medical and custody staff have begun evaluating inmates who may have been exposed.

Following the discovery of his medical condition, the inmate immediately was isolated from the general inmate population and transferred to a San Joaquin hospital for respiratory isolation, medical evaluation and treatment.

The inmate will remain in respiratory isolation at the hospital until his evaluation is completed. All precautions to limit exposure were taken as well, officials said.

On Wednesday, all Level II - medium security - inmates began testing for exposure to the disease. Exposure of corrections staff is being investigated, and annual TB testing for employees is currently under way.

Because the prison has a confirmed case, medical resources are being redirected and inmate movement is being restricted so that the testing can be completed as soon as possible, officials said.

That means that CSP is suspending routine programs during the test period, suspending visiting immediately until further notice, notifying and educating all Level II inmates about the TB testing process on the institution television education channel, performing contact investigation procedures to identify staff and inmates who may have had close contact with the active TB case, and not receiving or transferring any inmates out until the testing is completed.

Visitations may continue to be impacted through the weekend.
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/todaysnews/ci_8086824
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 AM
To the dirt and back...
Donation Award 

As of today, I heard that there are guys in almost every building on the level 2 side who are showing signs of TB, not just in building 14. This is horrible! They need to provide doctor's masks for all of these guys to wear or something!

William'sBaby
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Remember that just testing positive does not mean they have active TB. It just means they were exposed and are now latent. My PPD converted to postive 4 months after I started working in Radiology at a hospital in 1990. It honestly isn't bad. No symptoms at all and there is a med they can put them on (INH). The man who is active was removed and is in the hospital, so there is no more risk more than likely.

I've never had any problems and was told that I probably never will. One good thing - anyone testing postive now will never have to have the skin test again. Usually they will take a chest x-ray annually just to check.

I'm not trying to minimize this - I just wanted to explain it's not that all these men are now active TB carriers and are spreading it. I am not, nor was I ever, active and contagious. I was never even removed from working with patients!

What is latent tuberculosis? “Latent tuberculosis” is the term used for people who test positive for tuberculosis (most commonly with a positive tuberculin skin test), but do not have any evidence of active infection. Currently one in three people worldwide are felt to harbor tuberculosis bacilli.

Tuberculosis is transmitted through airborne spread of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. When a person with active pulmonary TB coughs, aerosolized droplets containing bacilli can invade the lungs of close contacts.

In 90-95% of cases, the infected person's immune system halts growth of the bacteria and active disease does not develop, although skin or serological testing for TB will convert to positive. Once positive, a person's TB test will generally remain positive for life.

Last edited by Terry; 01-27-2008 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-27-2008, 11:30 AM
jimmy's girl

they are saying that there will be no visiting until further notice
Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 AM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Yes, it says that in the article. It shouldn't take them much longer to re-test everyone though, so hopefully visiting will be approved again by next weekend.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Donation Award 

I just spoke with someone in bldg 19. He said they are being very strictly controlled right now. Only one bldg at a time goes to chow and yard was opened but then closed down again. They wanted to know if I knew what was happening, because they aren't being told anything. I let them know about the tb issue just so they would know the situation.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

See, that is just wrong. I mean it's even been in the paper for God's sake, but they don't let all the men know what's up? Many do know - since some were wearing masks - but what is the problem with issuing a PSR and explaining. ARGH
Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Thanked 5,986 Times in 2,051 Posts

My son called yesterday, and he knew what was happening. I happened to know before him, thanks to aliferzwife!
Wendy
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

HAHAHA - well I guess it pays for my big butt to be in this desk chair all day, huh?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:49 AM
My Husband is Home

I hope this is all over soon. Cause my husband has been in the whole for five months pending transfer. He has yet to see the baby for five months. And he got his endorsement ticket to Solano two weeks ago, but know he cant go until this TB situation is over. Uggh!!! But thanks for the update aliferzwife. It helped to know why I have yet to hear from him.