Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Execution Watch
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Execution Watch This forum is to post upcoming scheduled executions, stays, etc.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 PM

Just wanted to point out that Colorado hasn exicuted only 1 person in over 30 years, though there is still a death penalty posibility. I'm a very strong advocate of no death penalty (and an atheist to boot, so i can't quote scripture to back up my points) so i'm a little less disguested to live in a state that hasn't killed anyone in over a decade.

Note: there are 3 people on death row in colorado now. 2 are black, 1 is latino. Does anyone else see the racial disparity considering Colorado's population contains very few minorities.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

When all is said and done
We will know we have won.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
REAL MEN DON'T HURT WOMEN

Default im unsure of how i should feel about the DP.

as a CO IN MO. i am a little unsure of how to feel about the dp. here is the problem, the crime that was commited was bad enough to warrent the dp, the judge found that it was in his or her eyes the thing to do. as a person who has no real religious view on it, i lean towards the dp being upheld and the penalty followed thru. in my job ive got to be firm fair and cosistant, i dont get involved in the legal matters of the offenders, im here to uphold the rules set down by the department. one of those rules just happens to be the dp. let me know how you feel about what ive said. DONT BE CRUEL, I want it to be constructive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StopTheEvil View Post
Yes, I agree with you studwieser.

Who are they to play god?!!

Last edited by tarzan04; 04-14-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,610 Times in 1,594 Posts

I will admit Tarzan (love the name by the way) my views against the DP are so strong, I am often accused of being nasty, however I will try to temper the way I put this across.

If I worked within the criminal justice system in the US I simply could not work on DR. The inhumanity shown by "some" guards defies belief. Then to have to get to know an inmate as a wo/man, a human being and see them hauled off to be killed by the state, is more than flesh and blood could tolerate!

You state you only follow the rules that are set down as a condition of your employment, and I have no reason to doubt that, but I do ask how you can go into your job the morning you know a man will die later in the day? That is not a dig by the way, but a genuine question. Does your own moral code accept this is just the way the justice system works, so you just accept you will be a wo/man down that day? Do you as a CO have struggles within yourself knowing your employer finds it acceptable to murder in your name?

I hope I have managed to stay as restrained as I planned, but the killing of a human being in a cold and clinical way, is very emotive to myself and many, many others.

A general point; can anyone imagine being taken out of the tiny space you have called home for a number of years to go and face death by the means outlined above? Shot, hung, poisoned or electrocuted - what a choice! Glad my tax £££ don't pay for that!

America - land of the free, home of the incarcerated.

The USA has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the the worlds prisoners.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJS811 For This Useful Post:
maxie'smom (07-20-2018)
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 AM
Much loved and sorely missed PTO Hero!

Thanked 1,310 Times in 1,094 Posts

i am in full agreement with jjs811, what about all ther actualy innocence men and women who have already lost their lives to the executioner, many of them only get the death sentence because they are either black or poor, and in the courts they do not stand a chance of a fair trial, also the jury hasve to all be willing to hand down the DP anmd if they dso not agree with it then they are not picked to siut ion the jury, the DP is wrong and does not stop people killing, i thank god that in the uk we abolished the dp andcan never get it back.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 AM

I have a question for everyone... What DO you think should happen to someone who's intentionally killed several people cold heartedly?

I really don't know how i view the death penalty so I'm not trying to say anything by this here, i just simply wonder what you think there punishment should be instead?

The only things i do know about how i feel about the dp, is that i dont know how you could be one of the guards or one of the ones to do it to them (executioner???)... it IS definitely depressing and ..... idk what the other word im looking for is. That's probably why im asking your opinion, lol... The other part i feel about it though is why should they get to live if they were happy and everything on killing who they killed. And when i say this, i mean more so if they've killed more than one person. I would NEVER EVERR want someone who could possibly be innocent or could have possibly been an accident or justified reasoning in a way, to get the death penalty. I think you need to know absolutely positively 100% they did it, and have proof and know they are not someone that can change. There's some guys who say they don't even regret it and they'd do it again. THOSE guys make me feel like ok well, why should we even let you still be here. Your an extreme danger to our society and you cant just go around killing people.

Again, i don't have any set views on this exactly. I think its SUPER odd and wierd and uncomfortable to think about them just taking lives away like that (not the killers-- but the executioners or whomever kills the killer). I definitely believe you have a very cold spot in your heart if your able to do that.

SOOOO, please enlighten me. What are your views on this? In terms of if they got in a car crash and killed a whole family from it versus a serial killer that seriously loves to go around murdering others. Even though your not for the death penalty would you still prefer certain men like to the extreme like i gave examples for, be locked up forever instead of the dp?

SHARE YOUR VIEWS/THOUGHTS!! :]
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanthisbereal For This Useful Post:
Rtgrl (05-26-2017)
Old 06-01-2010, 06:13 AM

In the Bible to kill someone is a sin and not tolerated. Only God has the right to decide when we die, not someone who is killing, on the legal side of things, these people to are murders. Look, just because it is legal for them, does not make it right to take a life and the people behind the death penalty will be judged by God. So as they just kill someone, these people should know that God will judge them for all their murders. These people think the law is on their side, so they give the gas, or lethal injection, or shoot someone, hello, they just killed a person. Only thing is, they are on the legal side of it, so what. They get away with it here, but not when they die and face God, they won't. A kill is a kill, wither it is legal, or not. These people behind the death penalty think they are getting justice. I didn't read anywhere in the Bible that is ok to kill because of getting justice. God did not give anyone a license to kill. Yet they are blinded by what they think is right, well it's not right to take a life, no matter what. I did not hear God say, yes it is fine to kill someone, just to get justice. Nope, because it's never ok to take a life, even if these people think they are getting revenge. Only God has the right to decide when our life ends. Not anyone else.

I read some of these people who are behind the death penalty had to stop because they got haunted, well serves them right for taking people lives. I would haunt them to, or it became too much for them, yea it should after all the people they killed.

When will people let God take care of things and trust in him? My ex husband was killed by three men and in the state of Iowa there is no Death Penalty. I know God will have justice on these men, so I am quite fine knowing that. I lost a love one to because he was murdered and I still not believe in the death penalty.

This really sucks all the lives that are lost because of the death penalty and really very sad. What about the families of these people? No one thinks of that. I should say the people who run the death penalty, don't give a shit.

And what if the person is innocent, which happens, then an innocent person just died. What the hell. The person is dead and can't be brought back. And people pay taxes for this shit to. And the crimes are lower in states without a death penalty, Gee I wonder why that is.

I hope and pray that one day the death penalty in all states is forever gone! I really just can't imagine knowing today I am alive and by tomorrow I would be dead by the hand of someone else. Gives me more than the creeps.

Last edited by Pettygil; 06-01-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 AM

I can't believe this, but I found this information on a web site, this really pisses me off! Oh, man I am going to get sick. I can't even eat now. I must never read this shit again. I do not support any death, not by gas or by Electrocution.

Lethal injections. I can't imagine, nor do I ever want to die this way. This is sick shit. I feel so very sad, and yet I think I am going to throw up now, it effects me that bad. Dear God, please let these kinds of killings stop. I pray it ends. I would not read, unless you can handle some very twisted and sick crap. Just beware what I found is beyond disterbing. How can anyone think this is fine to do to another human?

I remember being in the hospital for near blood poisoning. I almost died, well the nurse she must of poked me at least 10 times, and blood went everywhere and my whole arm went numb. I can't imagine, having to go through that kind of pain for for about 40 minutes, or longer. I just mention this for people who do support the dp. How can they think this is right to do to someone.

Lethal Injection, what I found online.

UPDATE: On December 8, 2009, Ohio became the first state in the USA to carry out a lethal injection using one drug when it put Kenneth Biros to death with a massive dose of the anesthetic sodium thiopental.
Lethal injection can cause excruciating pain. Since the first lethal injection on December 7, 1982, over 1,000 prisoners in the USA have been executed by this method and it has all but replaced other methods of execution.

The ProcessThe prisoner is bound to a gurney; two needles are inserted into the prisoner's veins and a saline solution is injected.
Sodium thiopental, an anesthetic, is injected to put the prisoner to sleep.
Pavulon, or pancuronium bromide, is released, inducing paralysis and stopping breathing.
Finally, the flow of potassium chloride stops the heart. This chemical can cause excruciating pain if the prisoner is still conscious.
The Potential ProblemsThe prisoner resists and delays establishment of an intravenous line.
The execution team is not able to find a suitable vein.
The mixture or composition of drugs is wrong.
The direction of flow of the injection is wrong.
The chemicals are directed into tissue rather than a vein.
The prisoner does not react normally to the drugs.
The ResultsIf not rendered unconscious, the inmate will feel excruciating pain; if paralyzed by the pancuronium bromide, the inmate will be unable to show this pain.
Some executions have lasted between 20 minutes to over an hour and prisoners have been seen gasping for air, grimacing and convulsing during executions.
Autopsies have shown severe, foot long chemical burns to the skin and needles have been found in soft tissue.

This is not humane. This is very wrong. It is bad enough these people on DR, spent half their life in a room smaller than a box, and ate shitty ass food, with all freedoms taken from them, cant even be outside. Now comes the time when they have to die like this? I believe these people suffered enough and may God release them to heaven.
So if you support the dp you really think this is ok to do to a person? I sure as hell don't. My ex husband died by three men and even though I hate them, I know God will have his justice and he is the one who judges people. This info really breaks my heart.

However after reading this may people not take for granted the freedoms they do have and life life to the fullest. If you feel you are having a bad day, read below and then know nothing could be this bad~ I will not write about this anymore, as I can't deal with it, so this is all I am saying about it. I will not be sleeping good tonight. I also know there is a God and I know in my heart, that he knows, this is not right.

Problematic injections.
As with the introduction of any new method, lethal injection has not been without some seriously botched executions, some of which are examined below. It is clearly, by no means a foolproof method, but perhaps the learning curve has now been surmounted as reports of problems seem to have greatly reduced.
March 14th, 1984 James Autrey. Texas.
Autrey took at least 10 minutes to die after the chemicals began to be injected. Throughout much of those 10 minutes, he was fully conscious and complained of pain. This was caused by the catheters clogging so delaying the transmission of the chemicals. It is also probable that the needle either did not enter the vein or passed through it. When the lethal chemicals enter the muscles instead, they cause considerable pain.
March 13th, 1985. Stephen Peter Morin. Texas.
Technicians had to probe both arms and legs with needles for 45 minutes before they found the vein.
June 24th, 1987 Elliot Johnson. Texas.
It took 35 minutes to insert the catheter into his vein.
December 13th, 1988 Raymond Landry. Texas.
Pronounced dead 40 minutes after being strapped to the execution gurney and 24 minutes after the drugs first started flowing into his arms. Two minutes into the execution, the catheter came out of Landry's vein, spraying the chemicals across the room towards witnesses. The execution team had to reinsert the catheter into the vein. The curtain was closed for 14 minutes so witnesses could not observe the intermission.
May 24th, 1989. Stephen McCoy. Texas.
McCoy had such a violent physical reaction to the drugs (heaving chest, gasping, choking, etc.) that one of the witnesses (male) fainted, crashing into and knocking over another witness. The Texas Attorney General admitted the inmate "seemed to have somewhat stronger reaction," adding, "The drugs might have been administered in a heavier dose or more rapidly."
September 12th, 1990. Charles Walker. Illinois.
According to Dr. Edward A. Brunner, over 5 minutes after the activation of Illinois's lethal injection machine and more than two minutes after the plungers had injected the chemicals, Walker’s heart had not stopped, the Illinois Department of Corrections officials ordered the viewing blinds closed. The witnesses were not aware that Walker had not died and were not told that there was a problem.
Without removing Walker from the equipment, officials inspected the equipment and discovered a kink in the intravenous line. They straightened out the line, and a short time later Walker's heart stopped.

January 24th, 1992. Rickey Ray Rector. Arkansas.
It took medical staff more than 50 minutes to find a suitable vein in Rector's arm. Witnesses were not permitted to view this scene but reported hearing Rector's loud moans throughout the process. During the ordeal, Rector tried to help the medical personnel find a vein. Attendants were about to prepare a "cut-down," when a vein in his right hand was finally discovered - an hour after the procedure began. The administrator of the Arkansas Department of Corrections medical programs said (paraphrased by a newspaper reporter), "the moans did come as a team of two medical people that had grown to 5 worked on both sides of his body to find a vein."
March 10th, 1992. Robyn Lee Parks. Oklahoma.
Parks had a violent reaction to the drugs. Two minutes after the drugs were administered, the muscles in his jaws, neck, and abdomen began to react spasmodically for approximately 45 seconds. Parks continued to gasp and violently gag. Death came 11 minutes after the drugs were administered. Wayne Greene a reporter on the Tulsa World newspaper described Park's execution as looking "scary and ugly."
April 23rd, 1992. Billy Wayne White. Texas.
It took 47 minutes for the prison staff to find a suitable vein, and White eventually had to help them.
May 7th, 1992. Justin Lee May. Texas.
May had an unusually violent reaction to the lethal drugs. According to Robert Wernsman, a reporter for the Huntsville newspaper, The Item, May gasped, coughed and reared against his heavy leather restraints, coughing once again before his body froze. Associated Press reporter Michael Graczyk wrote, "He went into a coughing spasm, groaned and gasped, lifted his head from the death chamber gurney and would have arched his back if he had not been belted down. After he stopped breathing, his eyes and mouth remained open."
May 10th, 1994. John Wayne Gacy. Illinois.
John Wayne Gacy, who had tortured and murdered 33 young men and boys during the 1970’s, was executed by lethal injection at the Stateville penitentiary in Joliet, Illinois.
After the injection began, one of the 3 lethal drugs clogged the tube leading into Gacy's arm, and therefore stopped flowing. Blinds covering the window through which witnesses observed the execution were then drawn. The clogged tube was replaced with a new one, the blinds were opened and the execution process resumed. Gacy actually took 18 minutes to die. Anaesthesiologists blamed the problem on the inexperience of prison officials who were conducting the execution, saying that proper procedures taught in IV 101 would have prevented the error.

May 3rd, 1995. Emmitt Foster. Missouri.
Foster was not pronounced dead until 30 minutes after the flow of chemicals began into his arms. After 7 minutes, the blinds were closed to prohibit the witnesses from viewing the scene. They were not reopened until 3 minutes after death pronounced. According to the coroner who pronounced death, the problem was caused by the tightness of the leather straps that bound Foster to the execution gurney. It was so tight that the flow of chemicals into the veins was restricted. It was several minutes after a prison worker finally loosened the strap that death was pronounced. The coroner entered the death chamber 20 minutes after the execution began, noticed the problem, and told the officials to loosen the strap so then the execution could proceed.
May 3rd, 2000. Christina Marie Riggs, Arkansas.
Christina Marie Riggs was the first woman to be executed in the state of Arkansas. The execution began 18 minutes late because of the difficulty in finding a suitable vein to insert the catheters into. She agreed to have the catheters placed in veins in her wrists. It is not unusual for the prisoner to have help staff in this way.
February 5th 2006Joseph Lewis Clark, Ohio.
Prison staff were initially able to insert a single IV line, but Clark's vein collapsed, delaying the execution for an hour while new lines were attached.
December 13th, 2006. Angel Nieves Diaz, Florida.
Diaz took 34 minutes to die and required a second injection when the needle went through his vein rather than into it. His arms showed burn marks from the chemicals.
September 15th, 2009 Rommel Broom Ohio.
Technicians spent two hours trying to find a usable vein to inject into before Governor Strickland ordered a stay for Broom. He was reportedly traumatised by this.
Ohio has now adopted a single drug injection protocol with a back up procedure of two drugs given intra-muscularly if a vein cannot be found.

Last edited by Pettygil; 06-02-2010 at 01:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pettygil For This Useful Post:
maxie'smom (07-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcattjkatt View Post
I'm from the UK and i wish we still had the death penalty here,if these animals can cause so much pain and fear to thier victims,not to mention what thier family and friends go through.They dont deserve to die peacefully,i think the crime should fit the punishishment.What if it was some one really close to you ???
jcatt, it has happened to someone close to me. At age 12, I walked in on the cops telling my family about the radius my beloved uncle's skull and brains had been splattered. That was decades ago, and you can't conceive what our family has been through. Nervous breakdowns, what his mother could not watch on TV, you have no idea. DP? Try a few years w/the jailers letting the wealthy convicted out for meals in the town cafe.

Yet orgs like Murder Victims' Families For Reconciliation exist because there are more of us than you think that don't think state-sponsored killing is any way to honor our loved ones - it doesn't bring them back, it wastes finite judicial resources (costs more than LWOP, which many think is more punitive), it is not a deterrent, it prevents our allies from extraditing criminals to us to get ANY justice, it creates more victims, and occasionally, we execute an innocent.

The pace of exonerations for all crimes is increasing, and it just so happens that what has been the busiest jurisdiction in the US as far as handing down the DP ALSO has 2 of the shoddiest crime labs (falsified results, employees w/fake credentials) closed for a time, renamed, and a state oversight board created with them specifically in mind. Does that sound like a good combination when the most serious action the govt can take against a citizen is at issue?

This is not a theocracy. Biblical references said to endorse the DP do not reflect HISTORY. Those passages were written when that code was not a part of the law and VENGEANCE was left to families who wished to pursue it, not the govt.

If you are interested, there are TX cases that will pin your ears back when you see the prosecutorial misconduct found by higher courts and the lack of direct evidence that can land an innocent on Death Row. We can't make an error-free system, but we can have one in which we can make some attempt to reverse errors discovered later.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 AM

maybe i am wrong but i believe in the death penalty even knowing everything i know about it being a pre med student
i see and understand everyones views and i have no hate in my heart when i say i believe in the death penalty i am all for the old saying of an eye for an eye. i do not aggree with paying for three hots and cot for the rest of a cold blooded murders life. especially in the case of ones that kill children. i know people do not aggree on it but i would rather have my money put into programs to help offenders that can be re habilitated not into the support and such of people with no remorse. and no i do not believe everyperson on death row deserves it. i am also a strong believer that alot of people with a color on thier skin are rail roaded and such and some people honestly do have remorse. but for thouse that killed for the pleasure and love of it and thouse that willingly wanted too kill children should be put to death. id rather have my money help thouse who can be helped than by paying for health care three hots and a cot and crap for someone that finds joy in killing others. and yes i had someone close to me murdered in cold blood and no i would not wish the death penalty on them but i wish the people that ordered them to do it could be charged if there was proof. i know i will prolly get a long reply back to this but its just my beliefe and no one can change that. my brother is doing 41 and i have ex felons in my family but i still believe there are thouse that deserve the death penalty no note everyone does but there are some that do.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 PM

I think that the death penalty is a very wrong method of punishing someone. Another lady here posted something that made me tear up because my fiance had killed 2 people - heat of passion, and understandable to me... and if his state had a death penalty I'd have never met him. He's a wonderful person who f**ked up 15yrs ago as a 16yr old child, and to kill him is right? One life for another is okay!?! People who think the death penalty is just fine and easier or less expensive need help in my opinion... That's SO wrong. =[

No matter what, I got your back
I'll take a bullet for you if it comes to that
I swear to God that in the bitter end
We're gonna be the last ones standing
We'll never fight, we'll never fade
I'll promise you forever and my soul today

Old 01-20-2011, 12:04 AM

I know people think that firing squad is barbaric and all, but if it was me, I would pick the firing squad over the lethal injection anytime. I am a nurse and we studied lethal injection in school and it is inhumane. Due to the oath that doctors and nurses take that they promise to due what they can to better life no doctor or nurse can regulate the medications that are in the iv's. There have been documented cases in the United States where not enough of the first or second medication given, the ones that will relax the person and put them to sleep, so when the 3rd medication is given which is potassium chloride and the one to stop the heart is administered the patients have been able to feel it go through the veins. Some of them grimacing and looking like they are in obvious pain but unable to call out due to the first medications. If you are not already aware, potassium chloride is very, very painful to the patient receiving it. It has been described as being set on fire from the inside out. While the majority of the prisoners may not experience this exact situation, at least that is what some DOC sites state, how does anyone really know that they don't, maybe they were just unable to show any signs of the pain they were in.
And yes, if the prisoner is of standard height and standard weight the medication given will probably work correctly for them, but for anyone who is not they are probably not receiving the correct dosage for their height and weight. When I found out that the medication administration was a problem with lethal injection I wanted to work as the person who regulated it so that if god forbid someone had to die that at least they would not die in an inhumane way and that is how I found out all about the problems listed above and how I could not keep my nursing license and still work in that capacity.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby's girl 77 For This Useful Post:
maxie'smom (07-20-2018)
Old 02-03-2011, 01:27 PM

I have seen both perspectives listed on this thread. My first husband started using drugs. Those drugs changed him from the nice respectable man that I married to a very angry man full of rage. He attacked me one day. It was un provoked. So i divorced him. He continued using. One night he got high and murdered a mutual friend of ours. Now he is in prison. I felt the pain of the loss of a friend, the pain of the loss of a soul mate to the wicked ways of the world, I felt the pain of my baby girl not having normal life with a mom and a dad in the same house. My ex never reached out for us via mail and neither did I reach out for him. I moved on with my life and got remarried. My heart has always hurt for my first husband and the way his life turned out. Now two years into my second marriage, I find out my stepson raped my daughter. Now he to is headed for prison, and my second marriage is also about to be over because of what has happened. I can not expect my current husband to turn his back on his boys, but at the same time can not stand by his side as he is there for them. I need to move on and continue getting help for my daughter. About two weeks ago I got a letter from my first husband. They have found out that he has cancer and he wants to reconnect with my daughter. They do not know what kind but based on the results of the ct scan it appears to be in 3 of his major organs. The prison did not send him for his biopsy because they forgot to order them. He has complained on deaf ears at the prison. Now after all this he signed a medical release for me. Now I am helping see that he gets the medical treatment that he needs. I want him to be able to get better. I want him to be a loving example of how you can make bad choices in life, but be able to stop the old you ask for forgiveness and do something positive with your life. I tell you all of this because life is all about perspective. When he killed my friend, there was hurt and anger. Which over time passed. When I saw what my daughter was going through growing up without a dad, I had another perspective of sadness. Over time God has healed my heart. I have learned to hate the sin and not the sinner when it comes to my 1st husband. Now with the second one it is a whole new story. There was nothing that he ever did to me It was his children. Now he has lost a son to the system and his wife and stepchildren. As heartbreaking as it is I had to move on alone with my girls. I am having a very hard time just hating the sin now, but know God is still working on my heart. For those die hard DP supporters, maybe they have not been given a perspective to change their views. There are many times that I have questioned what in the world is going on in my life and if God was not by my side I don't know what I would do. People need not have tunnel vision and see others perspective when jumping on a ban wagon. Now when it comes to mass murders and those who hurt children, I think the should be cell mates. They should just go be crazy together. Just thought I would throw that one in. My oldest daughter applied to this program and she had to answer many questions. She was asked who her inspiration in life was and why. I cried when I read it. It said my mother because no matter what life has dealt us she always finds a way to keep going and see to it that we have what we need no matter how bad the situation might be. Ok enough rambling and I hope someone is helped by this post. May God bless you....even the atheist.
The Following User Says Thank You to kryptonite98 For This Useful Post:
maxie'smom (07-20-2018)
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softheart View Post
The death penalty laws in each state and the District
of Columbia. Six
states with the death penalty have not had an
execution since 1976:
Connecticut, Kansas, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New
York and South Dakota.

ALABAMA - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
electrocution.

ALASKA - No death penalty.

ARIZONA - Lethal injection for those sentenced after
Nov. 15, 1992; others
may select injection or lethal gas.

ARKANSAS - Lethal injection for those whose offense
occurred after July 4,
1983; others may select injection or electrocution.

CALIFORNIA - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
gas.

COLORADO - Lethal injection.

CONNECTICUT - Lethal injection.

DELAWARE - Lethal injection.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA - No death penalty.

FLORIDA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

GEORGIA - Lethal injection.

HAWAII - No death penalty.

IDAHO - Firing squad if lethal injection is
"impractical."

ILLINOIS - Lethal injection; electrocution authorized
if injection is ever
held to be unconstitutional.

INDIANA - Lethal injection.

IOWA - No death penalty.

KANSAS - Lethal injection.

KENTUCKY - Lethal injection for those convicted after
March 31, 1998;
others may select lethal injection or electrocution.

LOUISIANA - Lethal injection.

MAINE - No death penalty.

MARYLAND - Lethal injection for those whose offense
occurred on or after
March 25, 1994; others may select injection or gas.

MASSACHUSETTS - No death penalty.

MICHIGAN - No death penalty.

MINNESOTA - No death penalty.

MISSISSIPPI - Lethal injection.

MISSOURI - Lethal injection or lethal gas; statute
leaves unclear whether
decision to be made by inmate or director of state
Department of
Corrections.

MONTANA - Lethal injection.

NEBRASKA - Electrocution.

NEVADA - Lethal injection.

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Hanging only if lethal injection
cannot be given.

NEW JERSEY - Lethal injection.

NEW MEXICO - Lethal injection.

NEW YORK - Lethal injection.

NORTH CAROLINA - Lethal injection.

NORTH DAKOTA - No death penalty.

OHIO - Lethal injection.

OKLAHOMA - Electrocution if lethal injection is ever
held to be
unconstitutional; firing squad if both injection and
electrocution are
held unconstitutional.

OREGON - Lethal injection.

PENNSYLVANIA - Lethal injection.

RHODE ISLAND - No death penalty.

SOUTH CAROLINA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

SOUTH DAKOTA - Lethal injection.

TENNESSEE - Lethal injection for those sentenced after
Jan. 1, 1999;
others may select electric chair or injection.

TEXAS - Lethal injection.

UTAH - Lethal injection; firing squad available to
inmates who chose it
prior to passage of legislation this year banning the
practice.

VERMONT - No death penalty.

VIRGINIA - Inmate may select lethal injection or
electrocution.

WASHINGTON - Lethal injection unless inmate requests
hanging.

WEST VIRGINIA - No death penalty.

WISCONSIN - No death penalty.

WYOMING - Lethal gas if lethal injection is ever held
to be
unconstitutional.
is there a problem with death sentences in the u.s.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:38 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,289 Posts

Moving forward to update this thread

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."