Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Bureau of Prisons Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information. Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in the Federal Prison System. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:42 PM

Default BOP Transfers/Stuck in transit?

Hi all, I'm a reporter who has been covering the pandemic in BOP facilities. I have heard from a number of people over the past few months saying that their loved ones got stuck in transit while in the process of being transferred and wanted to see if any folks on here have similar accounts. I know that transfers were suspended and are only just starting to restart. I also know that there are certain designated holdover facilities like Oklahoma City and Atlanta...but one of my sources says her husband is at USP Canaan, in some kind of holding area. What the accounts have in common is that the conditions sound horrible. These housing situations were clearly not designed to be long-term.

If anybody has general impressions to share about Atlanta or any of the other holdover facilities, I'd love to know. Perhaps more importantly, if anyone's LO is in similar circumstances and wishes to share their account, please send me a private message. I would be glad to keep you anonymous. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,920 Times in 13,725 Posts

Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.TO Disclaimer
Old 07-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,920 Times in 13,725 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I was at Atlanta for 28 days (visits were permitted after 30 days) and Oklahoma City for 6 weeks. Neither stay had anything to do with Covid, I was in the middle of 6 months of "diesel therapy", the bop's unofficial punishment for unpopular inmates. Mine was caused by a federal law enforcement supervisor who had absolutely nothing to do with the bop, he called in a favor.

Atlanta was awful, 23 hours a day locked in a hot cell (mine had 2 beds, but 5 prisoners, so 3 of us slept on the floor.), no book cart (the nasty COs claimed it was too expensive) and the one hour out, when not cancelled for "short staffing" which happened about half the time, was enough time for a phone call or a shower, not both. Constant plumbing problems and when we complained about the heat, the answer was "you're lucky you aren't on the second floor". Atlanta was also the only bop prison where I experienced race as an issue, I was told "get out my office" by two different prison counselors.

Oklahoma City transit prison was far better. We were out of the cells for most of the day and had access to 2 book carts that were rotated weekly.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-06-2020 at 04:43 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (07-06-2020), do97jdl (07-19-2020), Taliba00 (07-09-2020), YOGA62 (07-07-2020)