Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:48 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,782 Times in 16,039 Posts
Default Mistake Made in the First Step Act concerning Good Time

FAMM Urges Congress to Fix Good Time Mistake Made in the First Step Act

Drafting error causes delays in the implementation of Good Time provision of the bipartisan criminal justice reform bill

WASHINGTON – FAMM today called on Congress to correct a drafting error in the First Step Act, which has resulted in the delayed release of thousands of people from federal prison. The First Step Act increased the amount of good time credit federal prisoners could earn from 47 to 54 days per year. The provision was supposed to apply retroactively and to take effect immediately, but a drafting mistake has delayed implementation.

“Thousands of families believed the law would bring their incarcerated loved ones home immediately, but that hasn’t happened because of a drafting error,” FAMM President Kevin Ring said. “We know it was an honest mistake, but even honest mistakes must be corrected. Families should not have to suffer because Congress erred when drafting this reform.”

https://famm.org/famm-urges-congress...irst-step-act/

Really? Congress knows, has known since January that the language in the Bill needs correcting and has not done a damned thing about it

Inconceivable

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-19-2019), KiwiPP (03-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
FAMM Urges Congress to Fix Good Time Mistake Made in the First Step Act

Drafting error causes delays in the implementation of Good Time provision of the bipartisan criminal justice reform bill

WASHINGTON – FAMM today called on Congress to correct a drafting error in the First Step Act, which has resulted in the delayed release of thousands of people from federal prison. The First Step Act increased the amount of good time credit federal prisoners could earn from 47 to 54 days per year. The provision was supposed to apply retroactively and to take effect immediately, but a drafting mistake has delayed implementation.

“Thousands of families believed the law would bring their incarcerated loved ones home immediately, but that hasn’t happened because of a drafting error,” FAMM President Kevin Ring said. “We know it was an honest mistake, but even honest mistakes must be corrected. Families should not have to suffer because Congress erred when drafting this reform.”

https://famm.org/famm-urges-congress...irst-step-act/

Really? Congress knows, has known since January that the language in the Bill needs correcting and has not done a damned thing about it

Inconceivable
Any updates on this?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,782 Times in 16,039 Posts

Not that I've seen, but I'll try to find an update....

EDIT: I'm not finding an update, but, as you know, Congress moves slow....

I'll do a more thorough such when I get a chance

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 04-03-2019 at 05:57 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
John M (04-05-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 06:51 AM

Pretty damn obvious by now, if it wasn't already, that no matter what wording is in the Act, BOP will find a way to misinterpret it, so as to deny those extra 7 days/year to as many prisoners as possible. Shorter sentences means fewer prisoners means smaller budgets for BOP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 99mtg00 For This Useful Post:
anniep (06-12-2019), fbopnomore (04-04-2019), John M (04-05-2019), patchouli (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Thanked 1,591 Times in 802 Posts

My husband's PO told us that there have actually been some cases where guys in HWH who were eligible for the extra good time, had their attorneys file petitions related to the First Step Act and were immediately released.

Unfortunately my understanding is guys in prison are not having as much luck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (05-12-2019), John M (04-05-2019), patchouli (04-05-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 10:08 AM

Thank you for this post. I just signed it. Any updates would be appreciated!

Just wanted to comment to keep this thread on top. Might entice others to sign.��
The Following User Says Thank You to Mint2bee For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 AM

I just looked recently and the good time credit has been updated. At least on my husband's it has and changed his release date. He is at USP Lompoc. Hopefully, it has been updated on everyone's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gummybear89 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-11-2019)