Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates For Adult Children, brothers and sisters of prisoners

Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Donation Award 

Default Article: When Big Brother goes inside

Imprisoning love

A new report is focusing on the little-studied effects on children whose siblings have been incarcerated, reports Louise Tickle

Thursday October 19, 2006
SocietyGuardian.co.uk
How does it feel for a child when their brother or sister is sent to prison? Nobody had answered the question until Rosie Meek, lecturer at Sussex University, went to the visitor centre of Rochester young offenders' institution in Kent to find out.
The Howard League for Penal Reform conservatively estimates that 35,000 children a year are affected by the incarceration of a sibling.
Article:When Big Brother goes inside
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,590 Times in 2,182 Posts

Thanks for sharing this article
Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Good article, thanks Deb. Of course we know the effects of a sibling in prison even though we are not children. I remember when my brother went to jail for the first time, I was in my twenties and I was devastated. I was pregnant with my second son and I remember going to court and throwing up on my clothes because I was still having morning sickness. I would just cry all the time! then when he actually went to prison, I was sick with worry. I know it would have been even harder if I had been a child or a teenager, but it was pretty hard even though I was an adult. Of course that was before PTO and I was so ignorant of the system, not that it would have been easier knowing most of the horror stories were true.

CATHERINE
Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Donation Award 

Atalie- It is such a devastating thing to happen in a family and has such profound effects on everyone. It makes it a little easier being able to come here and read what others have gone through and realize that we aren't alone in all the emotions we go through time and time again. You never know when someone's post is going to help someone else and it helped me reading about your experiences.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Donation Award 

That was a really great article for me to read. I was 14 when my brother was arrested (he was 17). Now we're both in our 30s. In that 17 or so years he's been incarcerated, I finished high school, went to college, made new friends, fell in love (multiple times), became a professional....all without my brother there with me. We're incredibly close to this day, but it still makes me sad all the time that he hasn't been able to experience what I have. Both to share my experiences, as well as have those himself.

Okay enough of that. Don't need to make myself sad right now. But I can't wait to see my big brother this weekend and give him a huge hug!!!