Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM
He ain't heavy...

Default Medical issues and their effect on sentencing

So here's a strange question I hope you can help with:

My brother is about to be sentenced. It's his first offense and he's looking at some serious time. However, in the last year since he's been in jail, he's developed a medical problem. His leg has swollen to 4 times its size, and they keep giving him antibiotics that aren't helping.

My question: would a medical problem have any affect on his sentencing?
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
(- Bobby Scott and Bob Russell)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 12:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,474 Times in 7,511 Posts

It could, depending on what he's being sentenced for. Counties have to fund county jails, so counties with smaller budgets are more likely to place somebody on home confinement or some sort of probation rather than accept the burden of paying huge medical bills. But ocunty jails are for misdemeanors (generally). Prison is another thing.

Prisons routinely deal with fairly extreme medical conditions - from people in wheelchairs and the blind to cancer patients and those meeting the ends of their lives. Mostly medical conditions there will just determine where an inmate is sent (provided he's not a violent person who likes to swing an artificial leg at COs and other inmates).

It will be brought up, but it will have more of an impact on where a person is sent, especially if the crime is extreme (murder, rape, etc), repeated (15th bank fraud or drugs), or the medical condition was known prior to the offense and because the person chose to avoid treatment, did the crime (drugs, mental illness, sex offenses). A first time minor offense with a minor prison sentence (say, under 5 years) where it is the first offense - that can buy some additional mercy from the courts, especially if the condition is known, labeled, and terminal.

Oh, and all of this assumes there is no mandatory minimum as well.

But, generally, if a prison sentence is involved, it is up to the prison to accommodate any illness, trauma, or disability. And they do. Costs the taxpayer more, but "tough on crime" don't you know.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,096 Times in 1,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrebrother View Post
His leg has swollen to 4 times its size, and they keep giving him antibiotics that aren't helping.
They haven't taken him to an outside hospital to get a biopsy done yet?

They did one for me when I had some cause-undetermined swelling in my right leg... in my case, the biopsy showed it was just a benign cyst, so they said they wouldn't do anything unless it got worse. Fortunately, it got better and the swelling went away on its own.

But if it's something more serious, they really need to find out what it is. A biopsy is the best way to find out if it is an infection, or a tumor, or something else, so that proper medical treatment can be administered.

Hopefully he's able to get better medical attention once he ends up in actual prison versus whatever holding area he's being kept in now... make sure he keeps sending in medical kites documenting his problem, especially if it keeps getting worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-24-2018), xolady (04-24-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:25 PM
He ain't heavy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
They haven't taken him to an outside hospital to get a biopsy done yet?

They did one for me when I had some cause-undetermined swelling in my right leg... in my case, the biopsy showed it was just a benign cyst, so they said they wouldn't do anything unless it got worse. Fortunately, it got better and the swelling went away on its own.

But if it's something more serious, they really need to find out what it is. A biopsy is the best way to find out if it is an infection, or a tumor, or something else, so that proper medical treatment can be administered.

Hopefully he's able to get better medical attention once he ends up in actual prison versus whatever holding area he's being kept in now... make sure he keeps sending in medical kites documenting his problem, especially if it keeps getting worse.
They keep saying their going to take him to get a cat scan, but since he's been sentenced they've been dragging their feet. However, they won't transport him to his camp until he's cleared medically, so it's hurry up and wait so we can hurry up.
Why not share?
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother
(- Bobby Scott and Bob Russell)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ogrebrother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-05-2018), xolady (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:21 AM

Thanked 5,960 Times in 3,104 Posts

Ok let me tell you what I would do make him keep putting in medical requests, and also request to see his CM. To many serious medical complaints are ignored by staff and nurses who don't or won't recognize serious symptoms. I'd have him sign a hippa release so you can call and talk to the medical staff so they are on notice that he has outside people. Just from what little you posted I'd be concerned about a blood clot. But many and I mean many reasons can cause leg swelling!! Hopefully it's something minor but there are so many people in prison who develop serious life threatening problems that outside can be minor. Medical care in prison is almost non existent and unless you can force the issue with staff your screwed. Have him start taking baby asprin 81mg everyday and tell him to lay off anything salty!! Also because of the heavy carbs type 2 diabetes is common in jails and prisons. Prison diets suck so tell him to see if he can get kosher meals they are better if available.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-06-2018)