Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Colorado that do not fit into any other Colorado sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 PM

Question Credit for time served before conviction?

Hello everyone!

Do you all know how credit or "good time" works in terms of time served in a county jail before being sentenced? So far the information I'm finding says that the laws vary by state and some take the stance that the judge will factor in the amount of time already served when determining the sentence. Is it possible to apply/ask for some of that time to be taken off if the inmate is a first time offender with no write ups?

I appreciate any info!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingTree View Post
Hello everyone!

Do you all know how credit or "good time" works in terms of time served in a county jail before being sentenced? So far the information I'm finding says that the laws vary by state and some take the stance that the judge will factor in the amount of time already served when determining the sentence. Is it possible to apply/ask for some of that time to be taken off if the inmate is a first time offender with no write ups?

I appreciate any info!
It is up to the judge and will be on the mittimus. My husband was in jail a year before his trial and another three months before sentencing and none of that time was applied towards his sentence.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:11 PM
Donation Award 

"Additional deductions come from presentence confinement credits and earned time. All felony defendants are entitled to credit against their sentences for any time spent in custody before the sentences were imposed."

This is quoted from: criminal-lawyer-colorado.com

This means that pre-sentence confinement should be counted as time served.
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (07-10-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Donation Award 

They do not receive any earned or "good time" time before entering DOC, just day for day.
WishingTree (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Right, ok! That's very helpful--thank you! I found similar things, but I wasn't sure how he would apply to have that time considered? Somehow he was under the impression that he had earned some "good time" for the year or so that he spent in county before sentencing. He's not in for a federal offense--just state level (although felony would apply). He said he asked his caseworker and they said they couldn't help look into this issue because it would be giving legal advice. Ugh! So I'm trying to dig and find out if there's a form he needs or if he would write a letter of appeal or requesting that his good behavior and time served pre-sentence be allowed to count for a standard number of days taken off. I'm still looking, but you all have been the most incredible resource when it comes to knowledge and support. If anyone knows more about the process--I'd love to hear what you know! I really appreciate you all!!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Donation Award 

He will not get additional "good time" for time served pre-sentence just day for day. My loved one had heard the same thing prior to being moved to DOC but it isn't factual. He does not need to apply for the time served it will be considered and accounted for by the Time Comp department in DOC but make sure you track all of it because mistakes can happen.
WishingTree (07-14-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:16 AM
Blueyes

My man was in a county jail for a year before his trial and that counted towards "time served" when he got to Colorado DOC.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowblind For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (07-14-2017)