Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina General Prison Talk, Introductions and Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in South Carolina that do not fit into any other South Carolina subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 PM

Question Overcrowding in South Carolina Prisons

Just curious, how overcrowded are the prisons in SC?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Donation Award 

My guy is in county jail. He's in a unit built to hold 65 men maximum. There are 87 men in there. They have taken apart the beds to accommodate the extra men. Some men have plastic beds that look like plastic boats with mattresses and pillows. Some only have the plastic bed and some only have the mattress on the floor. Many don't have pillows. He spent 3 months on the floor and has just gotten a bed with a mattress. It's a fire hazard. I don't see how they can get away with it.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:30 AM
"Always & Forever"

My husband says Kirkland has about 1300 inmates at this time and the bottom floor has 3 to a cell. He is on the top floor and has one roommate. He told me they treat them like dogs and the bottom floor with 3, one is sleeping on the floor. I got a letter from him after he was there 5 days. Don't know when he will be moved as he says every prison is overcrowded.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:43 PM

Has anyone heard if the state is trying to fix this problem. I know that with meth running so rampant, they are giving offenders 85% w/out parole. Things are only going to get worse. My husband is at Northside and he said it had alot of inmates that have 85% and no parole. There was a Charlotte news report that was showing how overcrowded prisons were in the Carolina's, it stated that they were paroling alot of non-violent offender's. Does anyone know anything about this? My husband comes up for parole in 99 days and I'm praying hard that he makes it. A parole examiner came to see him last week, he gave him a paper with all of the guidelines on making parole, he meets all of them. That still does not mean anything though. My husband's been in before and has never had an examiner to come and visit, he always just got a letter telling him when his parole date was. We really just don't know what to expect. I know I'm rambling on, I guess I just need someone to talk to.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Missin my man!!!

Hey Sandee! Haven't heard from you in a while. Well, glad to hear your man will be with you soon. He got moved right? Mine did to Evans. If what you say is true, I will be praying that your man will be paroled sooner. It sounds pretty positive though! Keep us posted!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Hi all!

It seems that there are very few non-violent offenses now. They just keep making everything violent. Some make no sense at all. My son is a violent offender and I know that there is no chance of an early release for him. I hope that your loved ones will make it though.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Hey Kate, Nice to hear from you. Have you been to Evans yet? How is your man doing? Me and my man got married May 22!!!!!!! Right now I don't know what to expect with the parole hearing. It will be his 1st time up and you usually don't make it the 1st go. He graduated the ATU program and everyone says that he will make it because of that, but I'm not betting on it. I pray hard that he comes home, but I don't won't to get my hopes up. His attorney says we have a 50/50 shot, so we'll see. Please pray for us.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Parole

My son is coming up for parole, soon, and the parole examiner has already talked to him and has also called and talked to me. This is also his first time up and we don't want to get our hopes up, but how can you not? Please, everyone, send your prayers our way.....Susie
Old 06-17-2005, 06:41 AM

Hi Susie! Prayers coming your way for you and your son.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

It's not JUST the overcrowding - we spend LESS per prisoner that any other state. They cram them in and then treat like sub humans; little chance to learn a new skill, social or work wise and then wonder why people keep going back.

This is a VERY sore topic for me and until you or a loved one is locked up it's easy to be haughty about it, but I think at this rate nearly everybody in SC with one day experience the heartbreak.

Too many people think this won't happen to them - but I fear it can and might. I spent 18 months in various county jails; most of them in SC and even just talking about it makes me queasy and that was in 1989-1990! I KNOW things are worse now too.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:09 AM
"Always & Forever"

Default moved to Mccormick

Hi all, Joey was moved t McCormick thursday,(less than a month) at Kirkland but he told me they have 3 to a 1 man cell there and its awfu! He was classified as a level 2 but he was sent to level 3 so that's just to say they send them where they are suppose to have room...that is 31/2 hours from here so I don't know if I will be able to even make that trip..I really need some one to send me the address to send him money on that jpay?? I lost it and now that he is moved he will need to get a pair of shoes,he says his feet are killing him in those skippy's they give them...Please sent to me if you have it.....Thanks a bunch!!!Sheila
Old 07-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Trusting God 4 all things

Sheila,
the web address is www.jpay.com
Old 07-03-2005, 07:27 AM
"Always & Forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTTaFLyy
Sheila,
the web address is www.jpay.com
thanks alot you are such a sweetheart for sending it to me....I just got out of the hospital and still not feeling well so my office is a mess!!! May God Bless you!!!

Last edited by joey's wife; 07-03-2005 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: error
Old 07-03-2005, 04:49 PM

Hi Sheila! My son, Joey is also at McCormick. This is one of the best institutions he has been at so far. Of course, sometimes I think it is what you make it. What dorm is your Joey in? As far as being laid back I know that MCCI is very laid back but still strict according to our standards. Good luck to the both of you and if I can ever help you out, please let me know. God Bless you both.

Barb
Old 07-03-2005, 09:22 PM
"Always & Forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCDC Mom
Hi Sheila! My son, Joey is also at McCormick. This is one of the best institutions he has been at so far. Of course, sometimes I think it is what you make it. What dorm is your Joey in? As far as being laid back I know that MCCI is very laid back but still strict according to our standards. Good luck to the both of you and if I can ever help you out, please let me know. God Bless you both.

Barb
Hi Barb,my husband Joey is in F1-A-195. He went back on PV and this is my 1st time with this. We met after he got out on parole. I know Joey will do fine,its just so far for me to drive alone. My sons will not even discuss him with me. They said I had given him enough chances and I just need to move on....I love my husband and he has now given his life back to God......He wants us to try again so I am takingmy time and praying about our marriage....This site has really helped me alot and I try to give any info I have to others as I find out. This is so hard for me right now......Sheila
Old 07-26-2005, 01:43 AM

Oh, Sheila. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I pray we don't have to deal with parole violations. My husband has said we will stick by Josh this time but if he messes up again then he's on his own. Thank the Lord that our God is a God of 2nd and 3rd and 100th chances if needed. He sure has been patient with me. I know there is a limit to what we can expect as far as dealing with more chances. You hang in there, sis. God always answers our prayers in His time. He will show you what is the right way to go. God bless you.
Sherrie