Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
all by myself

Thanked 1,355 Times in 753 Posts
Default Email I recived from FAMM regarding sentencing

carol,

Maybe it's just me - a sentencing junkie - who sees the perfect storm for sentencing reform building out there. But I don't think so. I think anybody who looks can see it coming.

The economic crisis was already draining state budgets. Now we've learned that for the first time ever, prison and probation costs are rising faster than any other state expenses, including Medicaid, education, and transportation!

These findings were released in a report published last week by the Pew Center for the States, which also found that an astounding number of people in this country - 1 out of 31 - are in jail or prison, or on parole or probation!

One out of 31 people... If this depressing trend continues, one child out of every grade-school classroom can expect to be under correctional supervision in the future.

This bleak situation makes the message that FAMM has been sending for years easier to hear. Our practical, front-end, and permanent solution of reforming sentencing laws can help states climb out of their budget holes without jeopardizing public safety.

And we see many states already moving in that direction.

Just weeks after FAMM launched its new campaign in Nevada, policymakers there are poised to introduce a bill to limit the reach of the state's mandatory minimum penalties. New York's draconian Rockefeller drug laws are finally on the brink of falling after 35 years. And, according to the Pew report, even conservative states like Texas and Kansas have already implemented non-prison alternatives to help people get back on their feet and save taxpayers money.

Sometimes it takes a crisis to bring the change that is a long time coming. The Pew report makes clear we have reached a crisis point. The skyrocketing economic cost of one-size-fits-all sentencing can no longer be ignored. We need to repeal wasteful mandatory minimums NOW!

So, please, help us make the most of this crisis by passing the reforms we've always needed. Your support makes all the difference. We must move now before the perfect storm passes.

My best,

Julie

Julie President
Families Against Mandatory Minimums

Last edited by ant's wife; 03-12-2009 at 03:40 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ant's wife For This Useful Post:
DavidsGirl4Ever (03-12-2009), heart alone (03-17-2009), notLOL (03-12-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

I had no idea family against manditory minimums exsisted...i will be reading more about this....i feel i may be able to find some back bone afterall. the more i go thru this site the more i know im not alone, with thoughts and goings thrus....

peace and harmony with and amongst all.
joy
aka notLOL
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
supporting my love
Donation Award 

Finding out about "mandatory minimums" was traumatic and shocking for me. I just couldn't believe how something so ridiculous archaic could still exist.