Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 PM

Unhappy Heart Disease/Failure help

My best friend is having serious heart pain and slightly elevated blood pressure. His father who is also serving in the same prison has congestive heart failure and is basically waiting to die as there is nothing else they can do. I am concerned for him. I have recommended yoga and breathing practices. I know he can't change his diet so he is stuck eating nothing or filler/carbs. He doesn't use condiments. Is there anything else he can do to prevent congestive heart failure or some other heart issue? I wish he was allowed to buy supplements but they don't allow them where he is per his knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,068 Times in 6,300 Posts

Has he been examined by medical for the pain?

There are many reasons people have chest pain that aren't necessarily indicative of heart disease and if he hasn't addressed the pain aspect with medical, he needs to. Gastric issues frequently display as chest pain and that has nothing to do with CHF. There are conditions that cause inflammation in the chest wall or cartilage, those don't indicate CHF. So narrowing down the source of his pain is important. No need to stress himself into having a bigger problem than he has.

But in general, learning to cope with the strain of prison life through reduction techniques is a great idea-- yoga, meditation, alternate breathing, prayer. Physical activity is huge. If he can't go out, start marching in place, pushups on the wall, sit and stand up from a seat/bunk. But, if he's truly suffering from a cardiac issue, working out strenuously could put him in danger. The prison may offer a cardiac diet, some do some don't. If available, he would need to be placed on that diet, though, by medical. So again, if he hasn't already, start there.

Last edited by miamac; 05-10-2018 at 11:13 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
nimuay (05-11-2018), xolady (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,467 Posts

Hi there have medical seen him to tell him his blood pressure is raised? If they are aware what have they advised? If not how does he know his blood pressure is high. . As Miamac says he needs to see medical and see what the course of the chest pains may be. It may not be heart related an ECG would establish if there are concerns and medical would need to arrange that.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
xolady (05-11-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 06:45 AM

Thanked 5,284 Times in 2,782 Posts

He can buy baby asprin take one a day. But he needs to get into medical it could be serious. Both of my parents died of heart disease, me and my two sisters all have high blood pressure mine and one sisters controlled by meds, other sisters in uncontrolled meds don't seem to work. My mother was like that, Dad had low pressure until he had a heart attack at 82 then CHF, Mom died in her sleep of heart failure. So just because your parent has something doesn't mean you'll get the same but you can so preventing and taking care is best especially if he knows this.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (05-11-2018)