Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Leonet Leonet is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 4
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Life after prison

Hey!
I am curious if there's anyone on here that has a loved one that has been released and would like to share what their life has been like since? What it's been like finding a job and readjusting to society.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Sarianna's Avatar
Sarianna Sarianna is offline
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Swinging from the chandelier
Posts: 1,981
Thanks: 10,015
Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,114 Posts
Default

Welcome to PTO You might want to read around our forum called Now That Your Loved One Is Home over HERE
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarianna For This Useful Post:
Lovebirds (02-09-2018), maytayah (01-15-2018)
  #3  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Leonet Leonet is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 4
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ok, thank you!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonet For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-17-2018)
  #4  
Old 01-15-2018, 02:43 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 26,154
Thanks: 38,511
Thanked 18,974 Times in 11,177 Posts
Default

Welcome to Prison Talk. Former prisoners have many additional obstacles to overcome, especially in finding decent work and housing. Drug and sex offenders have even more, so that factors into it too. America is a very unforgiving society.

It may sound trite, but folks who put the greatest effort in their reentry into society have the best chance to succeed. Those who continue to try, even in the face of numerous setbacks usually do better. One "yes" overcomes all of the previous "nos".

Be sure to read our Success Stories forum.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=207
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Leonet (01-21-2018), Sarianna (01-17-2018)
  #5  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Leonet Leonet is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 4
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Thank you so much, I will do! But yes, exactly this whole getting a job thing, I wonder how's gonna go :/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonet For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-16-2018)
  #6  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Minor activist Minor activist is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: WA USA
Posts: 1,478
Thanks: 899
Thanked 1,273 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonet View Post
Thank you so much, I will do! But yes, exactly this whole getting a job thing, I wonder how's gonna go :/
There's a few pointers for returning citizens in the latest edition of "What Color is Your Parachute".
__________________
I'm collecting Best of PTO posts and quotes in my blog here.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Leonet (01-21-2018)
  #7  
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Rickpnj Rickpnj is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 25
Thanked 49 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Hello,

I am a former federal inmate. I was in all security levels in my 6.5 years and released from the Low at FCI Elkton to a halfway house in NJ. One thing I can say is I enjoyed being out more than in and ate allot of poop to stay free.
The halfway (Toler) was awful. They did as little as possible to help with the return, they were too focused on their "parties" and "challenges" where the staff would basically sit around and feed their faces as opposed to helping people get back to living. I confirmed this later on and I will get to that later.
When I arrived, I was pointed to a telemarketing center that hired people from the halfway house. Full disclosure, I did have some help from my family financially or this would have never worked. Anyway, it was a 2.5 hour commute via bus and cost me $38.00 a day to come and go to work. The pay began at $7.25/Hr (This was 2010). I dug in and worked my rear end off. I was able to go home quickly, and yeah the calls and check in's were a pain in the rear. I dealt with it, I like freedom. I was at work every day and focused and was promoted to a floor manager on night shift. Really, it wasnt bad. The worst part was the people from the same halfway house who wouldnt put the effort in and ended up back inside. So after 8 months, I applied for a job back in my old line of work. From the $9.00/Hr I was making at that time as a floor manager, $13.00 was a huge improvement. I bought a beater car and continued to work hard. I had 3 years of paper which was discharged after about 1.5 years with letters from my employer.
As I write this, I have been a partner in a very successful business I started with the guy who hired me from the telemarketing center. While that may not have lasted due to his and my disagreements in the direction of the business, we did build a multi million dollar company. I moved on and now am the Vice President of another company that relocated me out of NJ, have a very nice house in a quiet community, have the Harley I always wanted and love life. I do flash back sometimes and prowl the forum here or read other prison news sites. Anytime I am around a facility I was in I always drive nearby and think about where I was and why I dont want to go back.
On to the Toler house, when I had my business, I wanted to help those who needed it. I reached out to the "Job Assistance Manager" no less than 6 times via voice mails and emails offering jobs for people looking. The jobs met all of their "rules". I also had my partner do so in the event my ties to the inside were their reason for not calling, no luck. I even offered to come back and speak about the jobs that are out there. Nothing.
So that is my story and I am sticking to it. The chance is there if you are willing to dig in and work hard for little to nothing. And my charge was fraud which is frowned upon in business and I am pretty covered in tats. The chance is there, it's up to the person to jump on it and never look back.
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rickpnj For This Useful Post:
bellisq (01-26-2018), fbopnomore (01-17-2018), jackdact (01-24-2018), Leonet (01-21-2018), Lordbew/us (01-17-2018), maytayah (01-19-2018), Nickel Timer (01-18-2018), Sarianna (01-18-2018), VBsWife (01-17-2018), xolady (01-17-2018)
  #8  
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 26,154
Thanks: 38,511
Thanked 18,974 Times in 11,177 Posts
Default

I was in a different HWH, but it was just as worthless. While I was still locked up in Petersburg Medium, there was a steady flow of folks returning from the DC HWH because you either had to take a taxi everywhere, or get robbed in the streets.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (01-18-2018), Sarianna (01-18-2018), xolady (01-17-2018)
  #9  
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 AM
Rickpnj Rickpnj is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 25
Thanked 49 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Newark was similar. I just said f it. I walked more while I was in the halfway house then I ever did in my life. Options were taking a taxi which I really didnt have the money for, taking the bus and having someone from the methadone clinic fall asleep on me (happened once) or walking 16 miles. I walked it. Figured anyone seeing a 6'2 white dude walking through that area at 1am would assume I was crazy or packing and leave me alone. How long ago were you at Pburg? We had a crazy counselor, Rick James at FCE Edgefield that came from Pburg.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rickpnj For This Useful Post:
bellisq (01-26-2018), fbopnomore (01-17-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (01-17-2018), Nickel Timer (01-18-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
  #10  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:49 PM
fbopnomore fbopnomore is offline
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 26,154
Thanks: 38,511
Thanked 18,974 Times in 11,177 Posts
Default

A little more than 3 1/2 years in Petersburg. It was actually a decent prison as bop prisons go. I never met Rick James, but I've been out for 8 years now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Rickpnj Rickpnj is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 25
Thanked 49 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
A little more than 3 1/2 years in Petersburg. It was actually a decent prison as bop prisons go. I never met Rick James, but I've been out for 8 years now.
I dont know when he was there I just knew he was, he seemed to have a fan club among people who had come to Edgefield from Petersburg. He was really the only counselor that let me make a call during the two years I was on phone restriction. He was old school and wasnt part of the new culture that protects certain groups.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickpnj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-17-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (01-18-2018)
  #12  
Old 01-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Leonet Leonet is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 4
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpnj View Post
Hello,

I am a former federal inmate. I was in all security levels in my 6.5 years and released from the Low at FCI Elkton to a halfway house in NJ. One thing I can say is I enjoyed being out more than in and ate allot of poop to stay free.
The halfway (Toler) was awful. They did as little as possible to help with the return, they were too focused on their "parties" and "challenges" where the staff would basically sit around and feed their faces as opposed to helping people get back to living. I confirmed this later on and I will get to that later.
When I arrived, I was pointed to a telemarketing center that hired people from the halfway house. Full disclosure, I did have some help from my family financially or this would have never worked. Anyway, it was a 2.5 hour commute via bus and cost me $38.00 a day to come and go to work. The pay began at $7.25/Hr (This was 2010). I dug in and worked my rear end off. I was able to go home quickly, and yeah the calls and check in's were a pain in the rear. I dealt with it, I like freedom. I was at work every day and focused and was promoted to a floor manager on night shift. Really, it wasnt bad. The worst part was the people from the same halfway house who wouldnt put the effort in and ended up back inside. So after 8 months, I applied for a job back in my old line of work. From the $9.00/Hr I was making at that time as a floor manager, $13.00 was a huge improvement. I bought a beater car and continued to work hard. I had 3 years of paper which was discharged after about 1.5 years with letters from my employer.
As I write this, I have been a partner in a very successful business I started with the guy who hired me from the telemarketing center. While that may not have lasted due to his and my disagreements in the direction of the business, we did build a multi million dollar company. I moved on and now am the Vice President of another company that relocated me out of NJ, have a very nice house in a quiet community, have the Harley I always wanted and love life. I do flash back sometimes and prowl the forum here or read other prison news sites. Anytime I am around a facility I was in I always drive nearby and think about where I was and why I dont want to go back.
On to the Toler house, when I had my business, I wanted to help those who needed it. I reached out to the "Job Assistance Manager" no less than 6 times via voice mails and emails offering jobs for people looking. The jobs met all of their "rules". I also had my partner do so in the event my ties to the inside were their reason for not calling, no luck. I even offered to come back and speak about the jobs that are out there. Nothing.
So that is my story and I am sticking to it. The chance is there if you are willing to dig in and work hard for little to nothing. And my charge was fraud which is frowned upon in business and I am pretty covered in tats. The chance is there, it's up to the person to jump on it and never look back.
Thank you so much for this response! Eye opening story to prepare for how things will be. But these halfway houses are all located far from where you can go to work? Seems like it's the same problem you've all had when I read your stories.. :/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Rickpnj Rickpnj is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 18
Thanks: 25
Thanked 49 Times in 13 Posts
Default

There were jobs near the halfway house. Honestly, my goal was to 1) get a job ASAP and 2) try to find a job that will get me out of the half way house for as many hours at a time as possible. It just so happened that after all the places I applied, this was the first to hire me. And I understand when people say they have a hard time. I was rejected from many, and several were after an offer was made but a person higher up the food chain rejected me based on my felonys. It happens, keep it moving and dont give up. And I hear about those who are determined to do this or that, well respected! As long as they arent sitting around with all of their eggs in one basket waiting for this or that to happen, best of luck. Far too many use their goals and desires as a crutch.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rickpnj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-25-2018)
  #14  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:47 PM
rockchalk1 rockchalk1 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 464
Thanks: 7
Thanked 502 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpnj View Post
There were jobs near the halfway house. Honestly, my goal was to 1) get a job ASAP and 2) try to find a job that will get me out of the half way house for as many hours at a time as possible. It just so happened that after all the places I applied, this was the first to hire me. And I understand when people say they have a hard time. I was rejected from many, and several were after an offer was made but a person higher up the food chain rejected me based on my felonys. It happens, keep it moving and dont give up. And I hear about those who are determined to do this or that, well respected! As long as they arent sitting around with all of their eggs in one basket waiting for this or that to happen, best of luck. Far too many use their goals and desires as a crutch.
Thanks for sharing your story and success! My husband is at a camp and will be eligible for "home detention" next January. He was told there is no reason someone like him would need to go to a HWH, however who knows? If they tell him he's going to HWH, he has already decided he is staying put at the camp. Your story only solidifies what we have heard about the HWH. We are in Chicago and have heard some bad things. Our hope is that he will actually be on home confinement for a brief period of time and we think he may have someone willing to employ him. Hopefully it passes muster.

Good luck in your continued success!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-26-2018)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Male Prison Life vs. Female Prison Life….What’s The Difference? Firebrand Straight Talk 18 03-25-2013 09:52 AM
Experience of life... Book about life and life in prison... Savannah Florida - Region 2 Facilities 1 09-06-2010 03:57 PM
prison life, my personal prison life story jtc26 Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information 18 03-08-2008 04:00 PM
Lunch at the state prison: Chamber of Commerce tours prison to see how life is lived northstar World Prison News 0 08-20-2007 01:21 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics