Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:47 PM

Default Complaints to BOP: Instead of 6-7 months in halfway house, getting 3

Anyone have any experience with filing complaints against a particular prison. My boyfriend is at USP Lee in Virginia and for the last three months he's been preparing to leave for the halfway house a week from today. Today he met with the counselor and was told instead of getting 6/7 months in a half way house he's only getting 3 which means he's not getting out for another 3 or 4 months. He's so angry and I'm so worried about him doing something crazy. It's crazy because the probabtion officer called a few months ago to verify housing, he was told to pick the half way house and he was made to pay off the remainder of his fines so clearly they'd planned on him leaving. I don't see how they can do that. As far as I know he's not been in any trouble that would have caused this to happen so I'm planning on contacting the Regional Office. That prison is horrible and treats them like their not human and they're not much better to the people who visit them. I always feel like a prisoner when I go visit. I just want some answers. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,378 Times in 11,862 Posts

Apparently the bop is being squeezed for money by the "congress". They cancelled a number of HWH contracts, and are sending many fewer inmates there, and for much shorter stays. It sounds like your boyfriend got caught up in the harsh new politics.

The only way he can remain in bop custody longer than his release date in 6 or 7 months (and HWH is still in bop custody, just in a half assed prison instead) is if he gets in enough trouble to lose some of his earned good time. He needs to accept whatever the bop decides so that doesn't happen.

Since he has been inside for awhile, I'm sure he already knows that bop promises often change, for the worse.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 PM

So contacting Regional Office to complain will do no good!! It’s just wrong!
Old 12-09-2017, 06:37 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,378 Times in 11,862 Posts

Its your (his) decision. Complaining often adds retaliation by bop staff to the existing problem, but the choice is yours to make.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:47 AM

It’s happening all over the country. It’s horrible. My wife was supposed to be released to hwh in 3 days from now but it was pushed back till next year as well. You can look it up online and will see that the issue has been addressed but nothing has yet to change. I would be real cautious of filing any complaints because things can get worse for him while they “investigate” the complaint. It sounds like he’s so close to release that you don’t want to make things any worse on him. I know it’s painful but rest assured you are not the only one caught up in this mess. Hang in there, do some research online and continue to make that final push with your heads up high until his release. Hopefully policies change here soon and our loved ones come home shortly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BriBri08 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-09-2017), John M (12-10-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBri08 View Post
It’s happening all over the country. It’s horrible. My wife was supposed to be released to hwh in 3 days from now but it was pushed back till next year as well. You can look it up online and will see that the issue has been addressed but nothing has yet to change. I would be real cautious of filing any complaints because things can get worse for him while they “investigate” the complaint. It sounds like he’s so close to release that you don’t want to make things any worse on him. I know it’s painful but rest assured you are not the only one caught up in this mess. Hang in there, do some research online and continue to make that final push with your heads up high until his release. Hopefully policies change here soon and our loved ones come home shortly.
Yes since finding out he and I both have researched it and we’re both feeling better about it. We’ve just decided that it will give us more time to plan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsLadyLove For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-09-2017), His_Queen13 (12-09-2017), John M (12-10-2017)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:43 AM

I understand your frustration. I spent over 4 years in the system myself. I took the other tact...I REFUSED so-called half-way house as I knew I'd have support from family getting out, even though I could've been out almost 4-6 months earlier. I was going to be put into a place several hours from home, so I told them "respectfully" that I was going for the full good-time out date. That was my way of getting back at the system by telling them to "stick it". NO WAY was any of my labors out of prison going to fund their half-way house system, most of which is a complete and utter joke.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 04:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,336 Posts

The wavering of policy and management is very frustrating. I think the chaos in the government is going to continue to be reflected in difficult and unpredictable circumstances for the rest of Trump's term.

That said, the new Director of the BOP, General Inch, is not an entrenched bureaucrat. I think everyone who is getting hit by this reduction in Halfway Houses should write and encourage use of Home Confinement, which can be managed directly by the Probation Office.

Director Mark S. Inch
Bureau of Prions
Central Office HQ
320 First St. NW
Washington, DC 20534

Write your congressman and senators also. This suggestion is for people who hope to get long Community confinement in the next few years. If no one brings it to the agency's attention, nothing will get done.

Last edited by bellisq; 01-08-2018 at 04:59 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
AndieNik (01-09-2018), fbopnomore (01-08-2018), Willstickbyher (01-17-2018)