Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > GREAT MEADOW HUB - NY DOC
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GREAT MEADOW HUB - NY DOC New York State Prisons & Institutions located inside the GREAT MEADOW HUB - Moriah, Washington, Great Meadow, Mt. McGregor, Greene, Coxsackie, Hudson.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Question Industrial training

Does anyone know how the industrial training program works at Hudson or has anyone ever had a loved one do industrial training... How hard is it for inmates to get? My fiance is going in front of TRC next month for industrial training and was told they allow furloughs home often. I'm curious to find out any info.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Banned

For the most part, since the 2011 merger and the subsequent gradual phasing out of straight work release, industrial training is fairly easy to get for qualified inmates. The asbestos abatement certification program, for example, has had many partici[ants in recent years. And it's a very good program too: it provides not only the training, but also the federal and state licensing required to secure good paying jobs in that field upon release. In fact, one of the larger asbestos remediation companies in upstate NY actually searches out DOCCS asbestos program trained inmates to hire upon release.

Furloughs are routinely awarded to industrial training TRP inmates in accordance with the scheduling criteria set out within the TRP manual.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:20 AM

I did the Hudson IT program but I CR’ed in early 2012, so my knowledge is dated. They used to have a complicated point-scoring eligibility determination system. Typical NYS pencil-pushing administrative stuff. Having all required programs completed and having “Outside Clearance” (like the guys who mow lawns and shovel snow outside the fence or are on community service crews in Mediums and Minimums) were both mandatory. A history containing any restraining order or protective order (EVER--whether expired or not), sex offenses or any number of other things (I think there was a list of ~15 things) would get your application denied.

The day passes were tightly regulated and restricted. I thought it was going to be Furlough Heaven, but I was wrong. It takes a while to get approved for and into the furlough program even after you’re already in IT. Somebody has to pick you up at the Hudson IT/WR building (outside the fence) at ~9am and you had to get back before 5pm if I remember right. Getting back late was a very bad idea with appropriately undesirable consequences. I never did that, but I saw other guys pay the price for doing so. Still, being outside on the crappiest day pass day I ever had was far better than the best day of the year inside. Because the prisoners are “semi-in/semi-out” there, they did UA’s all the time. Guys were always doing dirty UA's getting sent to Buffalo for the 90-day “rehab” program, with some doing that more than once.

Long story short = Hudson IT was the least horrible place I was at in 6 years in NYS prisons. There was no single “deal-maker” perk that made it all wonderful (which it positively wasn’t), but there were a lot of small perks that added up to make it far better than any regular Medium I was ever in. My personal experience was it was still prison, the CO’s and counselors were still what they always are and it still sucked, but it didn’t suck anywhere near as bad as a regular Medium. After doing the DWI Program at Gowanda (GAG!), it was heavenly by comparison. I got to drink more milk and eat more fresh fruit in a month at Hudson IT than I got in a typical year elsewhere, which meant a lot to me.

Your fiancé needs to talk to his counselor, find out what the IT eligibility determination rules are these days and figure out where he stands. My personal experience was that TRC members had problems with over-the-top God Complexes and dangerously overinflated egos. They were in the habit of treating IT applicants like subhuman dirt and disapproving IT applications for frivolous and inappropriate reasons. If they give him a “thumbs down” and he appeals it, those appeals used to take months on end. I doubt any of that’s any better these days.

Well..... enough flashbacks for today! Best of luck to you and your fiancé with however it works out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
Danyelley18 (12-28-2017)