Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 PM

Default Questions about the process and Bridgeport PPT

My sister was convicted and sentenced to 3 years for theft aggregate >=100k but <200k on Dec 2nd of 2010 with no order to pay restitution. She has held a steady jobs from the time she was 16, working at only 6 places throughout those years. She worked as a legal assistant for a Personal Injury Lawyer and stole the money from and IOLTA account for reasons that no one in the justice system cares because it does not matter why she did it; it was not only illegal but also wrong. She has no priors, 34, two kids she has raised on her own. The most she has is a hot check from about 10yrs ago. Anyhow, she took prison over probation mainly because she could not afford the 1200 restitution plus normal fees on probation. While she was awaiting the justice system to go through with sentencing she went back to school and is only 8 credits away from graduating with a 4.0 to get her associates in Education. I am currently taking care of her 2 kids and her disabled mentally ill husband who is also a occasionally relapsing drug addict (currently in rehab using the excuse that he missed his wife so much that it triggered him to do meth again which is crap). After TDCJ picked her up in early Jan they sent her to Planes. We looked up and saw that her PED is 4/4/11 and PRD is 4/15/12. Within 2 weeks of getting there she met with someone from the parole board. On the 10th they moved her from Planes to Bridgeport PPT. There is no update under the parole info online and I can't call Austin until Monday. I have quite a few questions that I hope people can shed some light on:

1.) We are sending off her support letters however, we are now unsure where exactly to send them to. Bridgeport PPT does not have a region so I do not know what region to send the letters to. I don't want to send them to Austin because I'm afraid that they won't get it to the board in time.

2.) Since she has been moved does that mean it is too late to send the letters?

3.) What are her chances of being paroled? I took the risk assessment test and looked up her NCIC code and it levels it out to be a 6.

4.) Does anyone have any information on Bridgeport PPT? All I can find is on the male prison in Bridgeport but not the female.

5.) We have heard that the parole board can tack on the restitution even though the judge did not, is that true?

Any other info you think I need that I didn't ask please share.

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

1.) We are sending off her support letters however, we are now unsure where exactly to send them to. Bridgeport PPT does not have a region so I do not know what region to send the letters to. I don't want to send them to Austin because I'm afraid that they won't get it to the board in time.
Bridgeport falls under the Gatesville local parole board office. You can send any support correspondence there.

Gatesville Board Office
3408 S. State Hwy. 36
Gatesville, TX 76528
254-865-8870

2.) Since she has been moved does that mean it is too late to send the letters?
Her being moved does not mean that it is to late to send the letters. As long as she has not been voted on yet there is time. Call the Gatesville board office to find out that status.

3.) What are her chances of being paroled? I took the risk assessment test and looked up her NCIC code and it levels it out to be a 6.
No one can tell you what will happen as far as porole. Even before the current budget crunch it was nuts to try to guess what they would do but today there is no telling. My wife told me yesterday that woman with a 10 year sentence for DWI is going home after 8 months. No way I would have guessed that a few years ago.

4.) Does anyone have any information on Bridgeport PPT? All I can find is on the male prison in Bridgeport but not the female.
I can't tell you much about Bridgeport other than the womans side is probably not a lot different than the mens. They can wear street clothes and I believe that the facility is air conditioned. I suggest calling there and ask them what you can or should do for her at that is different from a regular unit.

222 Lake Road
Bridgeport, Texas 76426
(940) 683-2162

5.) We have heard that the parole board can tack on the restitution even though the judge did not, is that true?
Sometimes it is difficult to prove a negative but I feel relatively confident that the answer is NO. Check out the Parole Board Policy publication at the link below. It is their policy on requiring Special Condition "R" - payment of restitution as a condition of parole. Scroll down to page 2 and you wil find this.

I. Criteria for Imposition
A. The parole panel shall impose restitution as a condition of release to parole or mandatory supervision only only if the criminal court ordered restitution in the judgment and sentence.

Here is the link ...
Parole Board Policy - SPECIAL CONDITION “R” (RESTITUTION)

Last edited by RobinsMan; 03-13-2011 at 08:36 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
Renee (03-13-2011)