Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Louisiana prison & criminal justice systems.

Old 08-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,836 Times in 1,601 Posts
Exclamation Orleans Parish Prison Inmates being held on freeway bridge in a heard (STILL)

I was just watching CNN and low and behold, they were playing video of people wearing similar colored clothing. While zoomed in I noticed they were mostly sitting orderly an not moving. I thought that was strange and then I noticed som people standing had guns. I thought inmates and a few minutes later they confirmed it.

Looks like they are keeping the inmates on a bridge on or offramp surrounded by guards.

Yeah, what did that idiot say I spoke to about them being safe and out of harms way... What BS. What would have happened if some larger levees broke and flash-flooded the area!?

Here are some pictures of them hurded onto a bridge.

*More Pictures on Following Pages in this Thread*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-1.jpg (105.3 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-2.jpg (91.5 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-3.jpg (107.4 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-4.jpg (89.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-5.jpg (87.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-6.jpg (81.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg katrina-prisoners-7.jpg (113.5 KB, 269 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

They also look like they are being held next to the bridge area in a sewage treatment plant? (The first and last pictures)
Old 08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

This is so sad.... I saw it a few minutes ago on CBS news....

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Wishing you were here...
Donation Award 

I can't believe they have those poor men sitting out there on that bridge!! I mean, I'm glad they are not sitting in a flood...but WTF?!?! That is ridiculous! It's prolly SO hot out there too!! The way they are treating these poor men really gets me annoyed!!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Missing_My_Friends

All I can say is Thank God, they allowed these men to get the hell out of there!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Wow!

I LOVE MY KISSYFUR!!

My Honey Came Home on August 8th, 2007!
Old 08-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,092 Times in 568 Posts

I would have never believed this if I hadn't seen the pictures on here. OMG, how very disturbing. Well hopefully, it wasn't too warm for them, at least they did get fresh air.

Thanks for sharing Fed-X.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 08-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

Just saw this on ABC, I cannot believe this.

Oh come to think of it I can believe it.

Some damned country we live in!

Patti
Old 08-30-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,190 Times in 497 Posts

That is absolutly insane!

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Old 08-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Awaiting Destiny in 2008

Is this Humane Treatment for our prisoners?

OUTRAGED IN KANSAS

Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM

There is really no one in the new orleans area that has any kind of humane area to stay in. It is terrible there....at least they got the prisoners out of the prison. There is no food, no fresh water, no working bathrooms, no electricity. I think that we all need to pray that the Governor and troops can come up with a way to evacuate all of New Orleans. I think I would rather be in the heat on the bridge than confined in the superdome with thousands of other people. This is the worst national disaster in history. I am sure that the body count will be in the thousands. I myself cannot locate several members of my family who live in the area.

What doesn't kill us - makes us stronger
Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM

I am sitting here watching MSNBC...I caught a statement about an uprising at one of the prisons down there and hostages being held.....I can't find anything else on it....did anyone else hear this???

Kay
"I've seen fire and I've seen rain I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend But I always thought that I'd see you again" :love: (Joey came home on November 16, 2005)
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Gettin a Divorce....
Donation Award 

That is crazy! I cant believe what I saw. But I guess I have to agree that at least they are in an open area instead of being confined in a building that is overflowing with water.

I'll be praying for all the people affected by this hurricane, and hopefully the much needed help arrives soon. Let's pray and hope that the situation gets better, and hopefully we dont have so many lives lost.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
~One Step Closer~ 5/8/12

I am speechless...I am glad, however, they are "safe" but, dang! You KNOW it's hot as all get out there...goodness...
I can't say nomore...I'm just speechless...
My thoughts & prayers are STILL w/everyone in New Orleans and everywhere else that had hard hits from Katrina.....
Old 08-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Missing my Honey

I heard about the riot and hostages in a prison near Baton Rouge....But they said on CNN that it couldnt be confirmed!!! I havent found anything on it either....
Old 08-31-2005, 03:55 AM
Donation Award 

About the hostage situation....FedCURE reported the following in a message:

Quote:
FedCURE Update: Nightline reported that this story was untrue. That the OPP inmates were evacuated from the prison to a overpass and stranded with civilians. No escape attempts and no hostage takings.
Fed-X provided the pictures...unbelievable!

I am at a loss simply watching the news here...total devastation!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 AM

When someone posted before the hurricane hit that the prison said they were staying put, I was dumbfounded. I am glad they moved them out safely. Hopefully they can get them moved soon to other prisons so they have food and water, etc. My prayers go out for the safety of all the people in that area.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Fed-X is Back!
Donation Award 

If I was a prisoner there I would much rather be out on that bridge than in steel cages with no lights or anything else..

What pisses me off though is the smugness of the lady I spoke to about moving them and their obvious refusal to prepare for this when it comes to people who are prevented from getting out of harms-way on their own.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:09 AM

Ya'll this just blows my mind, what is the state doing to these men?!?! I don't suppose anyone has heard anything out of their men down there? How long do ya'll think it will be before anyone knows if their loved ones are safe?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:14 AM

My husband is in the northern Louisiana and he said that last night the recieves several inmates from the Southern parishes. Not sure if they were from New Orleans or surrounding parishes.

Till I pick him up!!!

Old 08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Brother in Farmington, MO

Man that is just crazy! It makes me wonder if any of there rights are being broke with this kind of treatment? It just amazes me with what I am seeing! I heard a little about a hostage situation but that was in Mississippi I belive, my thoughts and prayers are with all of the people involved in this storm.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Queen of Dylan's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed-X
What pisses me off though is the smugness of the lady I spoke to about moving them and their obvious refusal to prepare for this when it comes to people who are prevented from getting out of harms-way on their own.
who was she??? she shouldn't be talking to our david like that!!

on a more serious note though........if i was a prisoner, i too would rather be there than inside like that..........it may seem very inhumane, but what else can they do right now?.......as someone else already said........everyone is living in inhumane conditions there right now...........all we can do is send our thoughts and prayers that way............oh and possibly make a donation, which i started a thread about
Old 08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Mrs. V

where is this donation thread? I cannot find it. Does anyone know what is to be done with the inmates now that the Governor has ordered the entire city to be evacuated?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 PM

I just saw on CNN that buses from the prison system have been seen transferring prisoners at the disgust of the other people who cannot get out of the city. Hello! Those inmates are people, too, just as valuable as anyone else in that city.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

Maybe I'm wrong to be thinking this way and I may offend a lot of people here but I'm going to write down what I'm thinking anyway. First and foremost....I have to agree that it was a very gross error that the prisons weren't evacuated prior to the hurricane hitting. Like someone else mentioned earlier - inmates don't get the choice to decide for themselves and I'm sure if given the choice the majority of them would have chosen to evacuate! That said though, once Katrina hit with such force at least the prison officials had the sense to get the inmates out of the buildings and onto a safer area. Conditions have most assuredly been hard on the inmates - just as they have been hard on all the other victims of Mother Nature. One thing the inmates may have going for them is that they are probably already used to having to endure the heat and humidity. That is an assumption on my part - going on the knowledge that most prisons aren't air conditioned to begin with. I don't know if the news reports have reported otherwise or not - but I also assume that all of the relief people are feeding the inmates as well as all of the other victims of the hurricane. It's interesting that the other people who cannot get out of the city resent the fact that the prisoners are being transferred ahead of them. In many ways you would expect them to want the prisoners to be gone! But all of the victims - prisoners and otherwise - have gone through pure hell for the past couple of days and they won't be thinking right for quite some time. Who can blame them....they have lost everything. Many have lost friends and relatives.
I know that I was outraged Monday when I first ready Fed-X's post about the prison in New Orleans not being evacuated. It just seemed so totally insane knowing that they had a Status 5 Hurricane headed directly for them! I will always wonder just WHAT the reasoning was for their decision because it didn't make an ounce of sense. The lady he spoke to for sure was very rude and un-careing.....but maybe she was also upset to know that because of her job she wouldn't be evacuating to safety either. One thing the inmates have - whether they like it or not - is the knowledge that they WILL be housed somewhere and once again be getting their normal gross prison food again. Their lives will return to what has been normal for them with very little interruption in their routines. That's more than ANY of the other victims of Katrina can say. It's sad but unfortunately it's true.
And just so you know....I DO have loved ones in prison - both a son and a daughter. I'm very thankful they weren't in Katrina's path for sure but I'm pretty sure I'd still be thinking these same thoughts even if they had been.
To all of you with friends and loved ones who had to experience this awful disaster - my thoughts and prayers go out to you.