Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
ladyk

My son got 6 - 30 years as a second time offender the plea was he would plea guilty to both charges meth lab and procession of meth and in turn he would get Drug Court, he was screened by Drug Court and excepted the judge that started with the case retired a couple months before court, the new Judge said if anyone needed a program it was my son but swift and sure which is another drug program for high risk felons was full so then he said 6 -30 years my son went white and looked so lost broke my heart. We have appealed the appeals attorney said his case was more about did he get a fair shake,
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 PM

Default plea bargains/mental illness

After reading all these stories, and being involved in many prison ministry groups since my son has been in, my question is what can we do about it? Support and venting are great but it doesn't change it. This country has gone incarceration happy, and it needs to stop. Too many peoples lives are completely ruined and thrown away. My son also has a mental illness and they have taken his meds away. He is having all kinds of anger/emotional problems which happens without the meds, and they have been alerted to it by his therapist, but they just look the other way. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get organized?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinlan View Post
After reading all these stories, and being involved in many prison ministry groups since my son has been in, my question is what can we do about it? Support and venting are great but it doesn't change it. This country has gone incarceration happy, and it needs to stop. Too many peoples lives are completely ruined and thrown away. My son also has a mental illness and they have taken his meds away. He is having all kinds of anger/emotional problems which happens without the meds, and they have been alerted to it by his therapist, but they just look the other way. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get organized?

If someone figures out what to do about this, I will be happy to put myself out there to help. My youngest son about 5 yrs ago was tried as a adult for playing doctor with his step cousin, got 1yr in jail, has to register as a sex offender for life. He was 15 when this happened. He also is mentally ill. That was not taken into consideration at all. Since he only had a public defender he was forced to take a plea. Since he's been out, his whole life has been changed. Where he was planning collage, to get a degree in culinary arts, he's having to work for minimum wage at a subway. And grateful for that! His personally has changed, he's not the same young man at all!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:56 AM

I agree with you on the Megan's law. Know some good people who have been accused of it. Sickening life long effects of it. Know someone who was accused of it and is from Russia. When he is out, he is going back to Russia to live because he says it's better there. Does anyone know of a group that is working on plea bargains and/or Megans Law, I would love to know. There is power in numbers and those of us who feel so inclined should join forces so we have a bigger voice.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:41 AM

my husband took a plea was suppose to be 1 year in a min security and then 10 years of probation. First time offender never been in trouble be for and way only 21 at time of sentencing. but then when the day came to take this deal to the judge she laughed and threw the deal out and sent my husband to prison on a 2 to life term. he has now spent 6 1/2 years in prison. no one ever told us that the judge could ignore a plea deal and do what ever she wanted or we would have never taken the deal (
Old 08-27-2015, 02:12 AM

i took a plea for 10 i was facing 15 to life for drug charges.. my first time ever going to court ..
Old 02-18-2016, 11:44 PM

reading all these stories and experiencing the same exact thing with my boyfriend makes me sick to my stomach. he would tell me things about how the system was messed up and rigged like this, and I listened to his ($30K) attorney and convinced him to take a plea because he was facing life in prison if he went to trial.

my story is no greater or much different from all posted so I'll stop myself from ranting. I just wish there was something we could do to change it. it's so wrong that you have to have money and/or social influence in order to get justice.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 PM

I think what pisses me off the most is the way everyone judges people who go to prison and don't think twice about how fucked up the justice system is because it doesn't directly affect their lives. SO many people don't realize if/when the charges they read are all part of a bullshit plea that someone was basically forced to take. and all those people make up the majority of America, which is why I feel hopeless about anything ever changing
Old 04-21-2017, 05:08 AM

Unhappy Shady Lawyer

Hi, my fiancé caught two charges. One in 2012 for Man/Del 4-200g (heroin), and he did around 15 months back time on that charge. Then in 2015, he caught another charge for Poss CS 4-200 ( Meth) . He had two court appointed attorneys, one for each charge. Before his court date, one of these Atty. called and told me to make sure his mother, and sister showed up to court. I thought it a curious thing to ask, but I let them know he requested they be there. As soon as we got there I realized why! The Atty asked his mother, and sister to write a note to him begging him to take the offer! I had just recently had a charge dismissed because I refused to sign, so we knew this was possible. But, this attorney got his mother, and sister so upset , and they continued to beg, and cry! And, I believe this is why he relented, and signed. He had 15 months back time on the first charge, and told his Atty he would "only agree to sign if this Atty made sure he got credit for said backtime." Of course, we never heard from the Atty again, even after I showed up to his office! Instead my fiancé got two 9 year sentences, that were supposed to be consecutive, but are treated like they are stacked, because he has two parole qualification dates, and his backtime was not applied, or he would of been eligible for parole earlier then he was. Texas Atty's are shady and can't be trusted for sure!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM
Corrupt Prison Augusta St

Default Shady Lawyers and Corrupt Prisons

They did my son the same way-they got him to take a deal and then they stuck it to him. He had a drug problem and just couldn't shake it. He burglarized a house where I live in Tifton, GA. The judge that sentenced him was a relative of the person he burglarized so they threw the book at him. They gave him a very long sentences and band him from Tift County and all the counties around where we live. He got cancer in prison and they still wouldn't let him come home to die. They didn't even let us know when he was close to death so we could go and see him. I lived 200 miles from the prison he was in so it was hard for me to get to see him. Just before he died I had sent him $100.00 worth of food-he never got to eat any of it. The guards took it and ate it themselves. I had a hard time getting my money back from the prison. I didn't care about the money it was the issue that the prison was just so crooked. My son was on chemo and the doctor said for the prison to give him something to eat besides bologna sandwiches but cause it burned his mouth and he couldn't eat it. So they basically starved him to death. There is nothing I can do about it. Helpless!!!! Dot