Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Another “Again” story...

Saw an article in today’s local newspaper. A guy got nabbed by the state police because he was screaming obscenities into a cell phone while driving a car in a parking lot. Turns out he was royally liquored up (BAC >21), had a drunk driving history with previous DWI felonies and had his license revoked due to that history. I thought I recognized the name and I was right. He was in the drinking driver program I did when I was inside around 8 years ago. I looked him up in the state prison system website, and he’s still on parole. Now he’s got new charges of aggravated DWI (due to high BAC), aggravated unlicensed operation (due to being revoked because of previous DWI’s), disorderly conduct, possession of marijuana and driving while using a handheld device. He’s now in county jail without bail and has a court date in 4 weeks. Instant and total self-destruction.

The state police will push the DA to slam this guy and it’ll be an effortless win/win for the DA. This guy still had 3 years left on parole, so he'll be lucky if he’s out in less than 10 years this time.

I learned my lesson and I’ve kept my nose clean ever since I got out because I’m not going back inside. I can’t imagine how this guy could melt down and self-destruct like this. I’d rather die than go back inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
KobeDeuce (08-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Thanked 1,117 Times in 527 Posts

Sounds like he has addiction problems. No matter how much people want to do well addiction can always be their downfall. Especially when they are faced with so many triggers that they were not prepared for while going through their programs while incarcerated. Some people just can't deal with their realities without self medicating and numb their demons.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire Struck For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:07 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,569 Times in 2,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Struck View Post
Sounds like he has addiction problems. No matter how much people want to do well addiction can always be their downfall.
So true...being fresh out of prison even without addiction is a struggle --- add addiction to all that and...just ugh Personally one of my major concerns for my MWI, this one.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:48 AM

Just a personal feeling, but... We all make our own choices, we all choose our own paths and we all (well...most of us, anyhow) pay the price for our choices. I know a lot of people buy into the addiction school of thought, but drinking or using are just two more choices. Those who choose to stop frequently do so independently and sometimes may need help to make the move, but anybody can always choose to stop. My former fellow program participant simply chose not to stop and now he’ll be paying the price for making that choice--for a long time. It’s probably what he sub-consciously wanted. I believe he’s one of those guys who prefers the security of the structured, decision-free “life” (?) inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
KobeDeuce (08-23-2016), Ms Sunny (08-21-2016)