Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Recidivism and Re-entry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Recidivism and Re-entry Share information, research, and personal experiences.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 PM

Post Research into Recidivism – What Activities Help?

Dear Prison Talk,

I am a health and social care researcher with experience of the prison system both personally and professionally. I am currently doing some research into the activities people do (jobs, leisure, social) which have helped them on re-entry and from reoffending. There is much in the way of statistics from the government on this topic but it is important to get the lived experience of people to understand what has helped. I am hoping that by understanding what has helped some, it can help others. I am looking to gather information from forums like yours to gain an understanding of what has been helpful in people’s pathways to re-entry and to prevent reoffending.

From January 14th – February 11th 2016 I will be reading old posts from forums, including this one, to look at the experiences people have been sharing. From this I will be able to get a picture of what people are saying that really helped them prevent reoffending.

All posts used will have the names and post content anonymised so that there is no way anyone can be identified in the final research and so that it is in line with the copyright rules. You also do not have to write new posts for the research as I will be looking back through old posts. All information that I look at will be stored securely and handled in a respectful manner.

It is your choice whether you wish to have your posts included in the research and are completely free to withdraw. If you don’t want your posts to be included, contact me here or via email at email address removed per policy by March 1st 2016 to withdraw from the research.

If you would like any more information, are concerned or would not like your posts included in the research, please contact myself at: email removed per policy.

If you feel that you have been affected by the research in any way and need someone to talk to, please contact:

US Samaritans – Tel: telephone and email removed per policy
UK Samaritans – Tel: telephone and email removed per policy

Kind regards,

RR

Last edited by sass4221; 01-14-2016 at 05:32 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2016, 05:11 PM

Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,841 Times in 16,507 Posts

Quote:
It is your choice whether you wish to have your posts included in the research and are completely free to withdraw. If you don’t want your posts to be included, contact me here or via email at email address removed per policy by March 1st 2016 to withdraw from the research.
Please also take a moment to review PTO's TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE

Your statement above is highly uncomfortable for me...

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
frostwoman1954 (01-14-2016), LifeTraveler (01-14-2016), maytayah (01-17-2016), sidewalker (01-15-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 05:32 AM

Default Apologies

Quote:
Your statement above is highly uncomfortable for me...
Hi patchouli,

Sincere apologies for any offence caused and for posting external contact details. My reasoning was to give anyone a voice if they didn't want their posts read. Any advice on a more appropriate course of action would be much appreciated.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,666 Times in 13,046 Posts

Members can contact you directly through the "private message" system. It is also important to credit the source of anything you do decide to use to Prison Talk.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Members can contact you directly through the "private message" system. It is also important to credit the source of anything you do decide to use to Prison Talk.
Thanks for your reply. I completely understand now, it's a much safer way to message. Also thank you for the copyright information, again that makes sense. Protecting the anonymity of the forum community was at the forefront of my mind.

Again, apologies for any offence caused.
The Following User Says Thank You to RecidiRes For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-17-2016)