Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Ohio that do not fit into any other Ohio sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Default Ohio law help for my son ... please help

My son was just arrested for receiving marijuana in the mail. When they entered the house they found the package and some plants. They also found a handgun. A handgun that is NOT his. What should I expect and is there any way for this gun charge to go away? Please help!
#concerneddad
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,949 Times in 3,184 Posts

Since your question is state specific, I've moved your thread so the people most familiar with the OH system can help. I wish you the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
KirstenTaylorC (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
A Devil's Advocate

depends if they entered on a warrant or if they were invited in-- and if he has ever been in legal trouble with a gun before. Was the gun given to him, was he in possession of the gun?

I really think his lawyer could answer these questions, knowing all the facts of this particular case. Hire a popular lawyer - is my advice.

Ohio is pretty lenient on first time offenders IMHO. They may be willing to drop the gun charge for a guilty plea to the pot.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Get a real lawyer and not a court appointed one they will do more damage than help. If you have to choose between bail money or an attorney get an attorney first. IMHO. Jail time in county will not hurt him but prison is not a place you want him to go, if there is any way around it. Good luck with your son.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyitsvon For This Useful Post:
RuthieBee (03-29-2013), Sweetswife (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 06:11 PM

I totally agree with this advice. Hire a REAL lawyer. So so many people have been hurt by court appointed attorneys. A short stint in county is far more survivable while waiting a court date than ending up with a felony which is hard time plus even harder to get expunged, even though first time offenders have the opportunity to have expungements with less hassle than before last October's new ruling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsvon View Post
Get a real lawyer and not a court appointed one they will do more damage than help. If you have to choose between bail money or an attorney get an attorney first. IMHO. Jail time in county will not hurt him but prison is not a place you want him to go, if there is any way around it. Good luck with your son.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sweetswife For This Useful Post:
heyitsvon (03-08-2013)
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM

... and even if you hire a REAL lawyer, make sure they are committed to your son and his case... and not more to a plea deal with a prosecutor because neither wants to take the time to get to the truth. It's all about dollars and cents, as you will learn here - and your son is legal tender to the State of Ohio. He is only a human being to those who love him.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoozeCat For This Useful Post:
heyitsvon (03-25-2013)