Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Mississippi Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Default books

thanks. I thought the books had to come directly from Amazon. Some of the used books have a sellers name on them that is another company or just a persons name. I probably have spent way too much on new books so I'm gonna try used. The facility is Walnut Grove Juvenile Facility
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 09:56 PM

Default Sending Books or Magazines to a Mississippi Prison

You are a lot of help Patticake, and very knowledgeable about Mississippi prisons. My guy is at DCF if you have any more information, but I especially appreciate the news about used books. Great!! Saves a lot of money.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:30 PM

can I send him order music? are cds allowed as well as cassettes?does anyone know a music vendor that is reliable??
Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 AM

i found a good site thriftbooks.com they have books really cheap some for a penny!!

The Following User Says Thank You to waysgirl For This Useful Post:
enoughgrace (05-06-2009)
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Donation Award 

Default CD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by info-man View Post
can I send him order music? are cds allowed as well as cassettes?does anyone know a music vendor that is reliable??
Cd's are not allowed. I tried sending a book to my love one and it was rejected. I found out it was because a CD came with that book. Unless there has been a change I am not aware of CD'S or Cassettes are not allowed.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM

Default Music

Not to my knowledge, but Jonathan would know better than me. It depends on the facility. At the last place they could buy radios at the commissary. You can find a commissary list on the MDOC website, but I do not think it is prison specific. Call your prison and ask what they have, but I am sure it would have to be purchased there. Then you would need to send music directly from the source just like books. Nothing from the outside. Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Donation Award 

We have been told ( by an MDOC offical) that MP3 players will be on canteen list. We were told that awhile back but so far that has not happened. I know nothing about them but someone says you have to pay to dowload music to them and not sure how MDOC would do that. Anyway, that is a wait and see but just passing this along as an FYI.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Red face Time

Hi Friends,
What a difference some t-i-m-e makes huh? I guess we are all doing time in one form or another. But since I first visited this thread I have had time to evaluate my experience ordering books and magazines. 99% of the time () I use Amazon. In my opinion, there is no other company that offers such excellent customer service. They keep a record of every single action taken, books ordered, addresses used, etc and assist me every time there is an issue. I ordered a soft side, leather journal once because my friend is writing some and DCF would not allow it. Same cover as the Bible I sent him earlier, but . So, they returned it to Amazon and they sent it on to me and no extra charge without me even having to request it. Also, I am like Chick who can't remember which books I have sent so I can pull up everything and print it for my records. I don't even have to enter the prison info or mine. They keep it all. I just select and they do the rest. That saves a lot of time!! So, after one year of doing t-i-m-e this is what I think. By the way, I did send T-I-M-E magizine as well for 50% off the cover price. Oh dear, , it is time for this to end. See you guys next time

The Following User Says Thank You to enoughgrace For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Glamma (08-07-2009)
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Griever11

hay hay, I too have had fairly good experiences with Amazon.com, even when books have come up missing at different facilites, they have always refunded my money. I have ordered from a couple of used book sellers on Amazon with mixed results. MCCF did not have a problem with them as long as they approved the book. DCF seems to have more issues with them, I normally have to call and let them know and fax a copy of the order Amazon issues. ALSO, its best to contact the seller and let them know its going to a correctional facility and be VERY VERY specific about the packaging, EVEN after emailing a guy about a book and where it was going, he still used WALMART bags for packaging, DCF refused the book , sent it back the guy was very disgruntled when i requested a refund. HE had even given me a discount after I explained where it was going and it was going to be late. He expidited shipping which made me feel a bit guilty, but WALMART bags??? NOT to a correctional facility, what a pain as I had cleared it all with DCF , even to ripping off the covers as it was a hardback book. OH well, in the end it all worked out , I finally found the book in paperback elsewhere new for even less money. SOOOOOO what a learning experience it was!

seeya, GOD LOVES US ALL!!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Default My Friend

So good to hear from you Trailrider. I miss talking to you. I am wondering how your inmate is fairing? Mine is having some trouble. I might try and go this weekend. Since he made green and white I can go any weekend on either day. Hey. I might even get to SEE you now on a Saturday. Whatcha think about that?. Not sure if that is a good thing huh? I don't blame ya!! Anyway, getting ready to order some more books. He has been going through them like crazy lately. I have sent a few house plan books and all the guys seem to like them. He will be building houses when he gets out. Ok, just wanted to say hi!!! and that I am thankful for you. God bless you and yours. Love, Grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider731 View Post
hay hay, I too have had fairly good experiences with Amazon.com, even when books have come up missing at different facilites, they have always refunded my money. I have ordered from a couple of used book sellers on Amazon with mixed results. MCCF did not have a problem with them as long as they approved the book. DCF seems to have more issues with them, I normally have to call and let them know and fax a copy of the order Amazon issues. ALSO, its best to contact the seller and let them know its going to a correctional facility and be VERY VERY specific about the packaging, EVEN after emailing a guy about a book and where it was going, he still used WALMART bags for packaging, DCF refused the book , sent it back the guy was very disgruntled when i requested a refund. HE had even given me a discount after I explained where it was going and it was going to be late. He expidited shipping which made me feel a bit guilty, but WALMART bags??? NOT to a correctional facility, what a pain as I had cleared it all with DCF , even to ripping off the covers as it was a hardback book. OH well, in the end it all worked out , I finally found the book in paperback elsewhere new for even less money. SOOOOOO what a learning experience it was!

seeya, GOD LOVES US ALL!!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 AM
FAITH8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryss View Post
Does anyone know if while inside can an inmate participate in classes by mail. Such as trying to get his motorcycle mechanics certification?
I would call and speak with his case worker. Also depends on what is offered where he is at...any program they get involved with is a major plus!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Default Book/packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I have noticed alot of questions recently regarding books. You must have these sent by a company or publisher - so, who do you use?

Whether it is Barnes & Noble, Books a Million, or someone else, let us know who, and what you use!

I like the idea of being able to send books, my brother is able to get packages twice a month can he get books seperete from the packages or does the books count as a package also.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 AM

This is awesome! So glad I read this thread! My husbands birthday was last week and it would be great to send him some sports books and a paperback bible since they won't allow his leather one from home! I think I'll give Amazon a try. Thanks for all the great info in this thread!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Griever11

over the years, I've found I prefer Amazon, especially for magazines, You can now change the address directly at Amazon if your loved one is moved, which has happened SOOOOOOOOOO many times to my son. I was having terrible troubles getting thru to the mag companies to change addresses.

Also they have wish list that you can share with others that may want to order and a person can keep up with what they have bought previously.

some of the others may have this also, not sure.

Plus THEY have refunded several times with no problems when packages came up missing or were refused.

thanxxxxxxxx for all the tips!

the best is yet to come
valady (06-22-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 AM

I use Amazon for Magazines and Books a million for books. Sometimes I use Barnes and Noble, it just depends. Locally bookstores will ship him books too. I have crawled used bookstores as well. They are familiar with the drill and will help you out.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
FAITH8

Best to check with the Education Dept. or even call the Warden as I'm not sure about classes via mail.

They offer some other "classes" there like carpentry and masonry, however, they are not allowed to attend all the time. They also do not offer college courses either. REally sad as that would help so many youths there to focus and work towards something. Would also help with their early release but they do not offer anything positive. For the past 2 months, my son has attended maybe 3 classes due to lockdown of the unit. If one kid in the whole unit creates a problem, the entire unit goes on lockdown for an unknown period of time which of course is solitary confinement....only out of the cell for one hour in a 24 hour period, meals via the open hole, couple showers per week, etc. Not sure I get the logic of making everyone suffer when only a few are creating problems.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryss View Post
Does anyone know if while inside can an inmate participate in classes by mail. Such as trying to get his motorcycle mechanics certification?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM

books2prisoners@gmail.com( send them an email and they will send to MS) they been sending my son some. kk
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4x4 View Post
I sent my bothers first set of books Friday. Please keep in mind he is in 24/7 lockdown and is given 1 hour outside in a cage for a rule violation for an undertermined amount of time; they are saying 7+ months.

I want to send him books so that he has something to read continually but how do I do this and him not exceed the limit. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a limit to the number of magazines they can receive and newspapers. Is there a daily limit for receiving mail and monthly limits?
They are allowed 3 books per month!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM

Barnes and Nobles is who I use. The shipping usually ships the next day and it is really quick plus if you spend over 25.00 the shipping is free.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks for this information i did not even no you could send books at all
Old 11-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBuss View Post
books2prisoners@gmail.com( send them an email and they will send to MS) they been sending my son some. kk
Do they just send books to inmates? Is there a cost and is there a choice of books?