Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

View Poll Results: Do inmates prefer handwritten or typed letters (if it’s snail mail)?
Handwritten 57 83.82%
Typed 11 16.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2019, 02:17 PM
Listening Ear &Soft Heart

Default Handwritten or Typed Letters?

Hello PTO peeps!

I am usually a lurker but I am seriously considering writing to an inmate (I have decided on who but I won’t reveal anything else). Do inmates prefer handwritten or typed letters? I just want to be considerate of what the person in question might appreciate more.

Thank you guys so much in advance!
I have had an interest in corrections, criminal justice since I was a child as my grandpa was a cop. I am and plan on continuing to be a law abiding citizen. I do have compassion for the inmates, victims, and both of their respective families.
The Following User Says Thank You to Guru03 For This Useful Post:
Skymichelle04 (03-25-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Have fun writing. Keep it real and honest. My love would rather me hand write. He says it is more intimate than typing. We get enough typing through corrlinks emails. So i guess it all depends on the person.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:07 PM

I have written a letter every day he has been in prison so far and it's only been two months still a long time to go. He's in for a year to a year and a half so that's a lot of writing. He was joking with me one day saying how his folder was getting full i told him i could stop writing he said no he love's getting letter's every day. Today just a little bit ago he called to tell me he loved me and then he said he would call me later tonight to talk longer.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:45 PM

We use Jmail to communicate (typed letters) because being from NZ snail mail takes FOREVER to get there and back. I still send the occasional written letter (my poor boyfriend, illegible handwriting lol), but the majority I send through Jmail. He prefers it because it’s quicker, some might prefer handwritten though. I guess it’s personal preference.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,970 Times in 7,469 Posts

Initially I handwrote letters. That was what worked for me because as a student I had writing materials with me during random moments of downtime. But fast forward six years, I type them all. It's just more convenient and easier on my hands. But I try to send a handwritten or drawn card every few weeks because as others have said, there is something more personal about it being produced by hand.

Also-- here's something funny, my now-husband thought maybe I was catfishing him because my handwriting wasn't particularly feminine and I did send a lot of typed material. Ha! So yes, I guess handwritten does carry a certain weight, at least in the beginning.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Initially I handwrote letters. That was what worked for me because as a student I had writing materials with me during random moments of downtime. But fast forward six years, I type them all. It's just more convenient and easier on my hands. But I try to send a handwritten or drawn card every few weeks because as others have said, there is something more personal about it being produced by hand.

Also-- here's something funny, my now-husband thought maybe I was catfishing him because my handwriting wasn't particularly feminine and I did send a lot of typed material. Ha! So yes, I guess handwritten does carry a certain weight, at least in the beginning.
Absolutely. One time i was out of town and I forgot to send my loves card. So i had my friend send it to him and she addressed the envelope. When he called me he said. Babe, who wrote out that envelope, it was not your handwriting. LoL... it is always the little things that show and say love.
Xoxox
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryanna814 For This Useful Post:
KiwiPP (03-17-2019), miamac (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03 View Post
Hello PTO peeps!

I am usually a lurker but I am seriously considering writing to an inmate (I have decided on who but I won’t reveal anything else). Do inmates prefer handwritten or typed letters? I just want to be considerate of what the person in question might appreciate more.

Thank you guys so much in advance!
Adults in Custody prefer getting mail. It doesn't matter whether it's typed or handwritten. The point is - which feels more comfortable to you? (I hate handwriting things so I type everything). I write to a ton of people and have had NARY a complaint. Focus on fun, funny or interesting content and then write in whatever medium you find the easiest for you to do.
maytayah (03-18-2019), miamac (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

The other thing to think of is space. If they're keeping letters, typed letters tend to be easier to store. Uniform size, more info in a smaller space. They have a very limited amount of storage and they might appreciate the consideration.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Even though I use Jpay and I'm not ashamed, he receives my letters the same day or the next day but his letters are handwritten.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:03 AM

We use both. Jpay for quick stuff like I love you and handwritten for more info
The Following User Says Thank You to kellydavid410 For This Useful Post:
Bryanna814 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM

My man loves My hand written ones he's got 18 months to 7 yrs and ever since county I have been writing him and I told him I would blow up his inbox with letters and he wants me to do that
The Following User Says Thank You to jlkkk2001 For This Useful Post:
kellydavid410 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 AM

I just get nervous because I do not want to sound stupid while writing letters. English is not my first language and my loved one doesn't speak my native language. He only speaks English. I try to choose my words carefully so I do not make fool of myself. I type the letters because I can use program to check for mistakes. I am considering making one by hand soon though. I may make a rough draft first and proofread before writing there final copy. I try so hard to communicate clearly for many reasons-1. I don't want to be misunderstood or make fool of myself.
2. I love living in America and want to show everyone here that I am trying my best to acclimate to their customs .

So I may now make handwritten letter because it seems as though it is appreciated and liked by loved ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidebiotch For This Useful Post:
kellydavid410 (03-22-2019), lizlizzie2 (04-01-2019), WaitingWilkes (04-01-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:27 PM

I write letters everyday i mail them out everyother day he has a box that he puts them in and he say's its getting full i told him i could stop writing he said oh no i love getting your letter's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda70 For This Useful Post:
kellydavid410 (03-22-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,436 Times in 560 Posts

I would expect that handwritten letters feel more personal. My son prefers I type, because my handwriting is atrocious.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Strength Keeps Me Going

Hand written letters take way longer for me to write!!!!!! My fingers cramp way too much for me to write longer letters (he likes his letters long) to him. He prefers them but he knows it's a struggle for me to hand write him. He doesn't mind the type letters he gets way more letters that way. To him the best part of his day is to receive a letter(s) from me at mail time.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:24 AM

Honestly, while I was in prison, I would have liked either type of letter. Heck, they could have written me in crayon for all I cared. I just wanted anything from the outside world while on the inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fockwulf For This Useful Post:
kellydavid410 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:01 PM
Listening Ear &Soft Heart

Update: I typed my letter in order to make it easier for him to read since he is slightly older than my parents.

Since I put it in the mail today, I expect it to take a couple of weeks since he is on the opposite side of the country. I have never used snail mail in my life, let alone written a person behind bars.

However, I think that things will go well since he is the type of person I am interested in getting to know regardless of his life circumstances.
I have had an interest in corrections, criminal justice since I was a child as my grandpa was a cop. I am and plan on continuing to be a law abiding citizen. I do have compassion for the inmates, victims, and both of their respective families.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,436 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru03 View Post
Update: I typed my letter in order to make it easier for him to read since he is slightly older than my parents.

Since I put it in the mail today, I expect it to take a couple of weeks since he is on the opposite side of the country. I have never used snail mail in my life, let alone written a person behind bars.

However, I think that things will go well since he is the type of person I am interested in getting to know regardless of his life circumstances.
What is allowed isn't the same in federal vs. state or from state to state, so I only know what AZ state allows, but a couple of ideas -

You can break it up by occasionally sending a postcard. It would give the personal touch of some handwritten items that would be easy reading on the eyes. My son always like me sending postcards from places I am visiting because it gives him something new to look at. It doesn't add to his "allowed photo quota" and he can hang them up in his "house" to break up the monotony and impress his friends.

I also send him holiday cards. Over the years, a couple of the card messages (Hallmark, American Greeting company, or whomever writes those things) have impressed his fellow inmates such that they ask him if they can copy them. (That adds to his status and apparently their positive opinion of Mom.) For some, they use the messages in their own personal correspondence. For others, they make homemade cards and sell them to the other inmates. In AZ, sending out homemade cards to family and friends is as important to many of the inmates as receiving cards. I have gotten many more cards from my son in prison than I ever did before.

Snail mail is all we have in AZ at the moment. Mail call is important to them, not only to keep connected to the outside, but also because it adds to their prestige to receive cards and letters.

Last edited by lizlizzie2; 04-01-2019 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM
One Day Closer

I type so much my penmanship sucks.

My guy has no preference. When I handwrite his letters I add a disclaimer figure out what I wrote or ask when you call.

He's more excited hearing his name called at mail time than my letters being typed or handwritten
Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebiotch View Post
I just get nervous because I do not want to sound stupid while writing letters. English is not my first language and my loved one doesn't speak my native language.
2. I love living in America and want to show everyone here that I am trying my best to acclimate to their customs .

So I may now make handwritten letter because it seems as though it is appreciated and liked by loved ones.

I'm certain you're more fluent in English than most Americans are in your native tongue. Thoughts and emotions you express are far more important than the words or medium you use to express them. Thank you for your affection for America. I hope you always feel that way.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:57 PM

I always type them. My handwriting is terrible and it’s easier to edit the letter in the computer.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Here's a script flipper for ya...
My husband has always hand written his letters to me. I have a biiiig under-the-bed box full of them. But his most recent job assignment allows him to work on a computer. During his lunch or downtime, he types me a letter. The first time I got one I assumed it was something he copied for me to read. Lol Now he's getting fancy, adjusting the fonts, adding page numbers. I think it's great. He's been in 16+ years and before incarceration computers weren't really a part of his life. I'm proud of him and I love seeing the progress in his word processing abilities. So at this point-- I love getting them both!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
keywii (04-05-2019), Ne Plach’ (04-05-2019), Sarianna (04-09-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 02:50 AM

I say mix it up. If they have any of the email platforms jpay, corrlinks or getting out use them but send the odd handwritten snailmail or just photos through pelipost or other photo media. If they can receive greetings cards, new/used books then all the better. Variety is key and I think appreciated. Of course later there are always videograms/video visit. Just never send money. That's a quagmire you need to stay out of.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:49 AM

I love writing letters , but one of my friends can only have post cards so i type those to fit more
Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 AM
Полезный дурак

My husband says I have beautiful cursive so I handwrite my letters. He said it feels like receiving post from another epoch! He has beautiful handwriting too since it is an extension of his Cyrillic cursive. It feels like an „ old - time ” romance in a time of digital.

Like others say, there is an attempt to keep it interesting : greeting cards and postcards help.