Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Default FCI Pekin visitation info needed & nearby hotels

Hello all. I hope someone can help me with information on visiting my son at FCI Pekin. I live in Massachusetts and my son is in Illinois. I plan on driving the 15 hours to visit him and would like any information about hotels and what I can bring with me and how long are the visits. Since I am coming from so far away can I spend a decent amount of time visiting? I would love to surprise him, but not sure if that is a good idea because if he needs to make arrangements with the prison for extended visit due to me coming from so far away that won't happen if I do a surprise visit. Sorry for the long post. I have not seen my son in 3 years and I would love to see him, but also make sure I do this the right way.. I'm so nervous I'm gonna screw this up.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Hi there - I live close to Pekin in a neighboring town. The prison is at the edge of town at the south corner of Pekin.

Motels to stay at:

Super 8 is a nice, quiet place, good price
https://www.expedia.com/Super-8-by-W...sterProp=false

Holiday inn Express is also nice, a little higher price
https://www.expedia.com/Holiday-Inn-...sterProp=false

I would not stay at the Motel 6 (it is called something else now but the number 6 is in it). They have had some crime issues there recently.

Best wishes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-23-2019), patchouli (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 05:29 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,073 Times in 12,748 Posts

Be sure to read the Pekin visitor's rules.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/pek/

I suggest you inform your son that you are coming. It is important for him to notify the COs that he is expecting a visit so they can find him quickly to notify him when you arrive. He can also ask his counselor about the possibility for extended visits. Be sure to tell the visiting room COs that you are there from out of State so that if anyone has to leave early because of overcrowding, it won't be you.

I hope you will receive information from folks who have also visited there and that you have a great visit.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:53 PM

Thank you so much for the information. You're probably right about telling him I'm coming..it's kinda a bummer because I did want to surprise him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tapanga1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-24-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,394 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by what you can bring with you, but it is very restricted in Federal Visiting. Basically, quarters in a clear plastic bag and your ID is it. You mght want to read some of the other posts to learn about the peculiarities of visiting, especially clothes (you want to avoid setting off the alarm), and have a change of clothes in the car. And what time to get there, to line up. I'm sure your son will be thrilled and be glad to have something to look forward to. Hope you have a safe trip and a great visit.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,073 Times in 12,748 Posts

I observed a few "issues" around unannounced visits. If the inmate knows you are coming, he can be sure to be quickly available to the CO when you arrive. If they can't find him, you will wait until they do.