Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Help with controlling boyfriend

So the first couple months he was in, we were doing alright, but I was also only staying home and working. I didn't do anything for myself, nothing fun, I didn't see my friends or talk to anyone. Finally after a couple months I realized I had to live my life because I wasn't the one in jail, so I stated seeing all my friends again, I got a third job at a local bar that's really fun, I'm doing things for myself. I still talk to him on the phone every day and see him three times a week as long as my job doesn't get in the way. Ever since then, he's completely changed into a different person it seems like. He's mean to me, upset at me all the time for no reason. Anytime I'm hanging out with my friends, male or female, he gets upset and says I don't make time for him anymore. He says I'm not affectionate anymore and I don't try to relate to him. When I have conversations about random things, like things that are going on at work, or random gossip I share with him, he says he doesn't care about it or that I'm taking too long to tell the story. He says I don't do enough and I only care about myself, but I've given up so many things to be able to make him comfortable, and these are just a few of the things I've had to deal with. On top of that he asks me if I'm cheating on him on a daily basis. Since this behavior has started I've been telling him that I can see signs of this becoming emotionally abusive and that I want nip these things in the bud because I've been in a relationship like that, and it took me years to leave and I told myself I would never put myself in a situation like that again. I told him I wouldn't stick around if he doesn't try to change this behavior and have offered solutions and asked what I can do to help. Nothing changed. I had the conversation with him about actually breaking up a couple of days ago. Now he's saying that he didn't realize how serious I was about leaving and he's now realizing that he never should've treated me that way, that he's been selfish and there's no excuse for it and he regrets messing up our relationship and wants to make it better. I told him I need to think about it because now I have these feelings of animosity toward our relationship that I'm not sure I can fix, and if he can treat me like that to begin with then he can do it again. He says it'll be different when he gets out, but I don't see how. I want it to work, I love him more than anything, he's my world. And when he was out he treated me like a princess. I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm frustrated and tired and confused. I do my best in this relationship, but I don't know if I should stick around and see if it actually gets better, or if I should end it now while it's still relatively early in his bid.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM

I can say from experience with my husband, he actually did this last night..every now and again he is frustrated and going through so many emotions that he takes it out on me. It's childish i will be the first to agree. But i understand that he lashes out sometimes. He almost always immediately catches himself and apologizes profusely. I try not to take those calls personally i think sometimes he just to vent. From personal experience on both ends, being in jail and out. They have no contact to the outside world besides whomever they call or write and visit. So sometimes hearing about things going on upsets them because they cannot be there. There is nothing else to do besides wonder whats going on on the outside. Its all about what you want to do in your relationship. At the end of the day u have to do whats best for you. And only you can decide that.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM

If you've been in this type of relationship before, and can obviously see the red flags... Just leave. Now. You say that it took you years to leave before. There is no reason you should allow yourself to become ensnared in the same trap. He is showing you who he is, please believe him.
bellisq (09-13-2017), fiat_nox (09-08-2017), jadah (09-14-2017), Ms Sunny (09-08-2017), Telica05 (09-17-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:22 PM

He's still locked up, right? Stop putting money on his books, answering his calls, visits, writing for a couple weeks. See if he changes his tune. If not, ditch the guy.

There's so many good guys waiting for a good gal like yourself on the outs. Don't settle for less.
The Following User Says Thank You to jsanner For This Useful Post:
sylvia glenn (11-04-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,019 Times in 981 Posts

Exactly: don't settle for less or try to "accommodate" him so he feels better. The problem is within HIM and not you. You are doing great and his complaints are a huge red flag and a sign of him trying to control you.
I don't know how you feel about him deep inside but I almost get the feeling you are doing just fine and are ready to move on without him. You've set some really good boundaries, sounds healthy to me. What he's doing... not so much.
fiat_nox (09-08-2017), jadah (09-14-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,909 Times in 977 Posts

I put up with the control (which was evident before prison) for a while, a couple years, and then one day I woke up and realized I was absolutely insane for letting a man dictate my every move (and I literally mean everything...what I can wear and who I can talk to and where I can go and still question my loyalty) when I was working full time and part time and raising 4 kids and paying all our bills and writing every day and visiting twice a month and I said nope, no more. He refused to work on it saying that's just the way he is and he doesn't know why I have a problem with it now. INSANITY! So we separated, I have a guy I'm talking to and I do what I want. I still take his calls every day so he can tell our daughter goodnight and I still take her to visit or meet his family to take her to visit at least twice a month....BUT separating was the most freeing thing ever. Sure, there are sad times, I packed up all his stuff, watched a marriage go to nothing....but living life like that isn't healthy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
DanjoBee (09-14-2017), maytayah (11-02-2017), nimuay (09-09-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:15 PM

Thanked 2,156 Times in 747 Posts

So... it sounds like you were able to discuss his irrational behavior and he has agreed that it's unacceptable and he's changed it now, right? At least that's how I read it. If he didn't act that way before and he fixed it with a conversation, I think another chance is probably fair.

Now, if this is a pattern... if he goes nuts and then apologizes when you threaten to leave but doesn't make long term changes, then it would be sayonara for sure.

A one-time aberration in his behavior early in his prison stint is probably forgivable.

Under no circumstances should you play his game though. No trying to prove your loyalty, no sitting at home alone to keep his feathers from ruffling.

Last edited by Marseille; 09-08-2017 at 04:18 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marseille For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-16-2017), fiat_nox (09-08-2017), MizzyMuffling (09-13-2017), nimuay (09-09-2017), Renea0428 (09-09-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM

At some point, these men can drive themselves nuts while sitting in the cell thinking about what this girl can actually do while she's with friends or working at a bar. SO MANY potentials meeting a nice guy in freedom, with money and a pretty face. And he just sits in there, being the co-dependent other half (not the better half, that's for sure) and all he has to offer are ... calls on your expense. And looking nice while holding hands during visits. This would drive you crazy either way, don't you think?

I don't justify. I just put it to a different perspective. BUT ... he is testing the waters. Trying to push you here and there. Seeing how much you can put up with. Because once you start giving in to his behavior and maybe quit the new job to spend more time with him, he has his assurance of the power HE has over you (more than anyone else out there) and pulls you back into HIS comfort zone, isolating you from any threats (other men and less time for him). Consequently, this will end up in him losing all his respect for you. And this is pretty much irreversible in this environment.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,430 Times in 10,016 Posts

You're going to have to be very aware of those small moves meant to control you and your interactions with the rest of the world. Any signs that he's starting again and you have to back off entirely and most of all - NEVER GIVE IN!

We are always ready to 'soften our edges' to relieve the fears and suffering of our mates, but that can lead down such a bad road (as you already know). Most of us who have been in abusive relationships don't quite get it until it's a little late ;>)
choclgs (09-16-2017), fbopnomore (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,122 Posts

You can't control his actions only your own. Its a tough situation for sure. Only you can do what is best for yourself and for the relationship you are in. You
re the one that knows the whole story.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-16-2017), fbopnomore (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Please take the time to figure out if you even want to work it out. I have been where you are in the past. The one thing that stuck out to me is that you have animosity toward relationship now. I get that and in a verbally abusive relationship animosity developes. Do you still want to be with him? Can you get past the animosity? I'm only asking because sometimes they push to far and no matter how they correct the behavior we are just done and can't get that trust and security back. He may just want to correct his behavior long enough to get back in a power position with you, or he may have really just been scared and acted out of fear. Before you try to figure him out, figure you out. Do you want to stick with this? Does he have a longtime or a short time to do because it's not an easy life. You sound like a nice woman make sure your waiting for a nice man!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-16-2017), marco1969 (11-04-2017), nimuay (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanked 1,680 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorp View Post
So the first couple months he was in, we were doing alright, but I was also only staying home and working. I didn't do anything for myself, nothing fun, I didn't see my friends or talk to anyone. Finally after a couple months I realized I had to live my life because I wasn't the one in jail, so I stated seeing all my friends again, I got a third job at a local bar that's really fun, I'm doing things for myself. I still talk to him on the phone every day and see him three times a week as long as my job doesn't get in the way. Ever since then, he's completely changed into a different person it seems like. He's mean to me, upset at me all the time for no reason. Anytime I'm hanging out with my friends, male or female, he gets upset and says I don't make time for him anymore. He says I'm not affectionate anymore and I don't try to relate to him. When I have conversations about random things, like things that are going on at work, or random gossip I share with him, he says he doesn't care about it or that I'm taking too long to tell the story. He says I don't do enough and I only care about myself, but I've given up so many things to be able to make him comfortable, and these are just a few of the things I've had to deal with. On top of that he asks me if I'm cheating on him on a daily basis. Since this behavior has started I've been telling him that I can see signs of this becoming emotionally abusive and that I want nip these things in the bud because I've been in a relationship like that, and it took me years to leave and I told myself I would never put myself in a situation like that again. I told him I wouldn't stick around if he doesn't try to change this behavior and have offered solutions and asked what I can do to help. Nothing changed. I had the conversation with him about actually breaking up a couple of days ago. Now he's saying that he didn't realize how serious I was about leaving and he's now realizing that he never should've treated me that way, that he's been selfish and there's no excuse for it and he regrets messing up our relationship and wants to make it better. I told him I need to think about it because now I have these feelings of animosity toward our relationship that I'm not sure I can fix, and if he can treat me like that to begin with then he can do it again. He says it'll be different when he gets out, but I don't see how. I want it to work, I love him more than anything, he's my world. And when he was out he treated me like a princess. I just don't know what to do anymore, I'm frustrated and tired and confused. I do my best in this relationship, but I don't know if I should stick around and see if it actually gets better, or if I should end it now while it's still relatively early in his bid.
If this is not the first time he has been a crybaby douche bag, then he has a pattern. The longer you allow him to make you feel guilty for living your life, the more he will. You see him 3 times a week and talk on the phone every day, and he's bitching? He needs to grow the hell up!

Follow your gut instinct, if it is telling you to call it quits, LISTEN.
choclgs (09-16-2017), marco1969 (11-04-2017), nimuay (09-14-2017), sidewalker (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 08:18 AM

There is no way i would put up with his words. Tell him to grow up or your gone.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorp View Post
The good news is he once treated you like a princess!

There have been lots of changes in your relationship in a short amount of time. Going to prison is a huge adjustment at first. My (now) husband acted kinda funky shortly after he got sentenced. I didn't stick around for that treatment. After some months (maybe even a year), I sent him a card and we reconnected. We have been growing, maturing, and becoming better every single day! He needed to know my worth and I needed to stand up for what I deserved. He received the message.

You have also gone through changes and some of those changes can increase a man's insecurities. My husband and I choose to not have relationships really with the opposite sex. It wasn't always that way, but he finally told me that it makes him uncomfortable. I first thought about it through role reversal and could admit I didn't like the idea. Then, I thought about the value of those other male relationships. None of them were worth hurting my (now) husband. It was an easy fix.

Because bars are designed to bring people together, neither of us really think it is appropriate to spend a lot of time in them. It just creates a potential risk. Potential. We try to be proactive now that we are officially committed. I don't think my man would have liked me working in a bar either! He had to deal with a lot before we were officially committed and he would have been "cool" about it, but he would have eventually tried to get me to see the risk.

You should live your life! You should love living! If you are not happy in your relationship, set him free. If you still love him and you see him as your future, you should problem solve all of your situation with respect, dignity, and with consideration of both people's feelings/concerns. Have open/honest dialogue! Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Curt'swife8 For This Useful Post:
Hurley123 (09-17-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

my husband does not want anyone to see me says im t too pretty guys will hit on me he doesn't want me to work go out or see friends I think hes just worried another man will take me from him
Old 11-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Thanked 1,607 Times in 607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia glenn View Post
my husband does not want anyone to see me says im t too pretty guys will hit on me he doesn't want me to work go out or see friends I think hes just worried another man will take me from him
Donít you find that a bit controlling? If you canít work how do you support yourself? That is very selfish of him imo. My LO would never even think about saying something like this to me.
Fridyrr.Likn (11-02-2017), Jazzii (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,909 Times in 977 Posts

Quote:
Yeah my ex-husband said stuff like that too...and at first I thought he was just really protective until I realized it's insane to live like that and a person should be able to go have coffee with friends or go to the lake or to the movie without having someone dictate to her that she live like a hermit...because someone might think she's pretty. I woke up and saw it for what it is, control.

But to each their own. I sure wouldn't listen for the 2 years that people told me the same thing.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
AndyS (11-02-2017), Critter07 (11-04-2017), maytayah (11-03-2017), MizzyMuffling (11-03-2017), xolady (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,430 Times in 10,016 Posts

Quote:

Yuck!!! What did you do to have to go to prison in your own house? Too pretty is just a batch of BS.
AndyS (11-02-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-02-2017), JustBeingMe67 (11-04-2017), marco1969 (11-04-2017), maytayah (11-03-2017), MizzyMuffling (11-03-2017), xolady (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:57 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,597 Posts

Quote:
I'd just like to point out that this is not normal. Now, maybe I'm ugly or something and Dee wasn't particularly worried about women stealing me (LOL! Yeah, that's a laugher, she was ALWAYS questioning "why were you at your ex's place? Why'd you stay there longer than 30 seconds? Why does this girl talk to you?" Maybe that was for effect? Nah, probably not...) but I went to work, went to ballgames, spent time with friends....basically lived like a single man with the exception of the fact that I didn't date anyone else.

And Dee was coming home. And now is home.

So why a man who's ensured he will serve all the rest of his days in prison thinks he can tell you to not have a life outside of him is beyond me.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-03-2017), nimuay (11-03-2017), xolady (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 10:58 PM

He needs to grow up. I could never just stay in a house. We all have to work and spend time with friends and family. They have helped me get through this incarnation. Id just do my normal routine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texasflower08 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 04:01 AM

Thanked 1,680 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
From your other post (obsession), you are in a codependent and abusive relationship. Whether you want to admit it or not, you are and it is what you are used to, or you would see it from others perspective's and realize what you think is love, is unhealthy.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt'swife8 View Post
The good news is he once treated you like a princess!

There have been lots of changes in your relationship in a short amount of time. Going to prison is a huge adjustment at first. My (now) husband acted kinda funky shortly after he got sentenced. I didn't stick around for that treatment. After some months (maybe even a year), I sent him a card and we reconnected. We have been growing, maturing, and becoming better every single day! He needed to know my worth and I needed to stand up for what I deserved. He received the message.

You have also gone through changes and some of those changes can increase a man's insecurities. My husband and I choose to not have relationships really with the opposite sex. It wasn't always that way, but he finally told me that it makes him uncomfortable. I first thought about it through role reversal and could admit I didn't like the idea. Then, I thought about the value of those other male relationships. None of them were worth hurting my (now) husband. It was an easy fix.

Because bars are designed to bring people together, neither of us really think it is appropriate to spend a lot of time in them. It just creates a potential risk. Potential. We try to be proactive now that we are officially committed. I don't think my man would have liked me working in a bar either! He had to deal with a lot before we were officially committed and he would have been "cool" about it, but he would have eventually tried to get me to see the risk.

You should live your life! You should love living! If you are not happy in your relationship, set him free. If you still love him and you see him as your future, you should problem solve all of your situation with respect, dignity, and with consideration of both people's feelings/concerns. Have open/honest dialogue! Good luck!
who the hell are you to tell me iv gone thru changes you dont know me and fyi we are very happy and very much inlove wow so many hating negative people on here
Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBeingMe67 View Post
From your other post (obsession), you are in a codependent and abusive relationship. Whether you want to admit it or not, you are and it is what you are used to, or you would see it from others perspective's and realize what you think is love, is unhealthy.
sure we ar codependent and we are also very happy with our marriage thank u
Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
Yuck!!! What did you do to have to go to prison in your own house? Too pretty is just a batch of BS.
too pretty is a bunch of bs huh?! look at my pic 100% of men would agree with the pretty thing jealous
Old 11-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanjoBee View Post
If you've been in this type of relationship before, and can obviously see the red flags... Just leave. Now. You say that it took you years to leave before. There is no reason you should allow yourself to become ensnared in the same trap. He is showing you who he is, please believe him.
we are very happy and very much in love and always work thru our issues